SWG vs AWG
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> M.A.I.L. Help

Submissions: 0

SWG vs AWG
Posted on Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:28 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I came across a problem yesterday while making some scale flowers.
The tutorial that i was following required 16g 1/4 & 18g 3/16. When i was 3/4 way through, the flower should have started to get rigid, but it was quite floppy, but i carried on till it was finished.

There was a card with SWG & AWG on it when my supplies came today. I did use the above ring sizes, but looking at the chart, the rnigs i used were in AWG, and the rings in the tutorial were in SWG which is why it turned out completley wrong.

So after a long winded story, my question is, are the tutorilas on here in AWG or SWG?

Submissions: 6

Posted on Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Which tutorial are you referring to? This one is in millimeters.
Usually when it's listed in gauge instead of millimeters, I use what TRL uses; SWG for 19ga and bigger and AWG for 20ga and smaller.

I think the gauge system is really confusing, especially when it's not specified which one is used. It's so much easier when it's listed in metric, or at least in decimal inches.

Submissions: 4

Posted on Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:27 pm

Many people, myself included, tend to use the TRL gauge system. In this case, that would be 16swg.

Submissions: 26

Posted on Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:28 am

Good tutorial writers will specify which gauge system they're using, or use decimal inches/mm.

Otherwise, I guess it's the 'try it and see' method.

-phong

Submissions: 74

Posted on Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:58 am

i try to use ARs im my tutorials but when i have to give the gauge system i usualy use swg. desimal and mm and/or ARs are much easyer then gauges systems. there are just to many gauge systems out there. (3 main ones and 2 specail i can think of right off hand)

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 4

Posted on Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:49 am

Hmm, seems I didn't thoroughly read the post the first time I responded. To answer your question, it is up to the author to decide which gauge system to use with their rings. Be sure to read carefully (unlike me >.<) to determine which system is used in any given tutorial.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:33 pm

thankyou for all the replies.
At least now i know to check so that i don't have to pull anythinh to pieces again Laughing

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1