Persian Dragonscale
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

Persian Dragonscale
Posted on Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:48 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I figured outhow to get both the leans for HP 3-1 and now im having some issues with the final joining. The tutorial isnt as clear aas I would like it to be, does anybody have any CGI versions of it. This is my first kick at the dragon and I want to get it done properly.

Thanks
Chris

Submissions: 149

Posted on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:25 pm

Hmmm. My key to success was to join the basis Euro first, and the rest simply 'fell into place', by continuing as used to.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 5

Posted on Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:02 pm

CGMaille.com has a CG version of it. Persian Dragonscale. It includes both methods of starting the weave.

I come in pieces.

Posted on Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:49 pm

thank you. I just noticed that the size given here does not match wath TRL gives for their AR sizing. So the items I made for the Persian is not the right size 18 3/16, its listed as being an ar of 4. oh well time to make it out of 16 5/16, since I have seen that made with TRLs stuff here.

Thanks
Chris

Posted on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:57 pm

hmmm, now why is it so tight.....TRL 16 5/16 and its closing up the other side and making it very rigid and not at all flexible....any advice out there? Im doing the 2 pieces of HP3-1 and then E4-1 the middle on both sides.

Thanks.
Chris

Submissions: 578

Posted on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:14 am

Advice?

If it's rigid and not very flexible, make some sculpture out of it. Coif Smiley

There is no such thing as weave ownership. If someone produces a weave sample, they own that physical piece of mail, but not rights to the weave pattern itself.
Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 75

Posted on Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:31 am

Langtry wrote:
thank you. I just noticed that the size given here does not match wath TRL gives for their AR sizing. So the items I made for the Persian is not the right size 18 3/16, its listed as being an ar of 4. oh well time to make it out of 16 5/16, since I have seen that made with TRLs stuff here.

Note that in my tutorial I specify that titanium 18swg 3/16" worked, but stainless 18swg 3/16" did not. Titanium has a lot of springback, so the actual AR of the rings was higher than the AR predicted by 18 swg + 3/16" mandrel. Use rings that have an *actual* AR of 4.4 or higher, and it will work. To be safe, try 18swg 5/32" or larger.

Langtry wrote:
hmmm, now why is it so tight.....TRL 16 5/16 and its closing up the other side and making it very rigid and not at all flexible....any advice out there? Im doing the 2 pieces of HP3-1 and then E4-1 the middle on both sides.

If it's getting tight with 16swg 5/16" rings, then you're not weaving it correctly. Persian Dscale should have no trouble at all in that size.

-phong

-- CGMaille tutorials now hosted here at MAIL! --

Posted on Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:49 am

Yeah I noticed that after looking at the CGI version of the tutorial....sometimes I can pick it up right away, not always. BUT I did get it finished and its a really nice piece.now for my scales to show up so I can make my little dragon.

Chris

Submissions: 149

Posted on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:05 am

I may second Phong. 1.6mm (16SWG) 5/16" (what is TRL's 16516) works in any material, as here even a dead-soft material has an AR of 5 or more. Same is valid for 1.2mm (18SWG) 7/32" or higher (AR range of 4.6 and higher, depending on material, but tighter than 16516), or 1.0mm (19SWG/18AWG) 3/16", or 0.8mm (21SWG/20AWG) 5/32", that are all in the 'sweet' AR range. So please compare your piece with the CGMaille tutorial again - I know for sure that the given ring data are reliable there.

A possible roadblock is the layering scheme - in the Euro-stip, HP seam, Euro-sew-up method this is easily visible. As HP seams can be set the wrong way, if the AR is relatively high, this is the possible cause, as the seaming is possible then, but not more the sewing up.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:33 am

I made another piece of the persian dragon tonight while sitting at work using the E4 and stitch method on some 18 3/16 I have and WOW did it work really good. I now have a "dragon toe". well thats what I am going to sell the pieces of persian dragon scale as on a key ring....Smile
go ahead and use the name if anybody wants to.

Chris

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1