An intro and a few pics of what I do at the moment.
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Wire Arts

Submissions: 0

An intro and a few pics of what I do at the moment.
Posted on Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:24 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Ok, please forgive any newbie errors but feel free to point them out politely otherwise how will I know an error has indeed been made Smile I do hope I have selected the correct section of the forum.

I currently don't do maille but am intending to expand into this and experiment with different weaves in my jewellery design. I do use metal rings to make chains and join components but nothing as complex or beautiful as what I have seen on here, maybe one day in many many years time I will acheve something similar.

What I do is very basic at the moment, simple wearable designs in metal and glass beads plus pieces made from horseshoe nails and a bit of polymer clay. The maille interests me as I think combining maille and horseshoe nails could produce some interesting pieces.

So a few pics - please feel free to critique as I am fully aware my work is rather amateur (I have still managed to sell pieces here in the uk and am in the process of setting up a retail website for my stuff) and needs improving. With all the inspiration and wonderful work on here it seems unattainable yet inspirational at the same time.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:13 pm

We maillers tend to focus on the metal and say things like "could you get those beads out of the way so I can see the rings?" Very Happy I started out making beaded jewelry, before I discovered maille, so I still like to see what people are doing with beads.

It's hard to give an opinion on the ring work. The pics are not close or clear enough on detail. I am intrigued by the metal drop beads with the square bottom. They look like something that could be very pretty with some chainmaille. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like you coiled some wire around the tops of them in the last bracelet. Neat idea!

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:54 pm

Thanks for your comments Lorraine.

Maybe I need to hide the maille with beads at this stage Laughing as (whispers quietly) they are 'bought rings' and are pinch cut to boot.

I will start making my own rings at some point and try to produce something a little more appealing to you Smile

The metal drops are bent horse shoe nails (mustads from sweden) and they are steel and a sod to bend at times, I get tired hands after a while and they don't always bend exactly how I want them to (practice makes perfect eh!). Yes the last one is coiled red wire, just to add a little colour, I will see if I can post a better picture, however I warn you the coiling is ropey and the rings could be closed better (I know this now from reading this site!).

I have almost finished looking through the weaves library but have not yet decided on which one to have a go at first, I love the look of the byzantine but I fear it may be a little too challenging for me yet.

Close up pics of the horseshoe nail necklaces.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:34 pm

Oh see, NOW I'm even more intrigued. Those nails are awesome! I'ma gank that idea for sure. Very Happy And if you can bend those things that consistently, I have no doubt you will make nice rings to make chainmaille with. Thank you for showing us your work.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 42

Posted on Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:58 pm

I love how you have used those nails. If you can do something like that you will have very little problem with Byzantine and Lorraine is correct if you can do that with nails you will have no problem making your own rings. I look forward to seeing more in the future.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:05 pm

Thanks MusicMan. I appreciate your comments.

LJ

Submissions: 1

Posted on Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:16 am

Lots of people buy rings, it's no biggie. Razz I'm a lazy pile and I buy mine. Mind you I'm still a newb too. Smile

Either way, those nails are really neat! And Byzantine is a lot easier than it looks, if you're really worried, do Euro 4in1 first. Smile

Submissions: 337

Posted on Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:29 am

I REALLY like the nail necklace without the red wraps, that's lovely.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Posted on Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:07 pm

Thanks Guen and Legba3.

I have ideas in my head for a combination of maille and nails it is just a matter of developing my maille skills in order to produce them, had a go at euro 4 in 1 last night but I just ended up in a muddle - may have been the wine Laughing I will keep at it and maybe stick to drinking tea next time I have a go.

LJ

Submissions: 1

Posted on Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Eh, I do recall a time (this was actaully quite a while ago when I had my first try at maille, far prior to august) when I first tried Euro 4in1. The first couple repetitions are a pain in the ass to do. Razz It's mainly keeping the rings straight, or at least it was for me.

Submissions: 97

Posted on Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:45 pm

Love the nail necklace!!

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Author Website

Posted on Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:02 pm

I really like the nails as well! I think you got something really neat there! Did you set up some king of form to bend the nails?

Posted on Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:14 pm

Thanks for the positive comments folks, can't tell you how happy and releved I am that other folk like my stuff. I am sure many of you know what it is like to create something that you thinki is good but then come over all self doubtish when it comes to letting other see it - especially a talented bunch like you all on here!

dagodave - no form or jig, just using a pair of hefty round nosed pliers, a fair bit of ooomph and very tough fingers (oh the blisters when I started this!).

If anyone is interested I am happy to do a step by step photo thingy - it's rather simple to do it just (like most things) takes a bit of practise to get the bends relaively consistent.

LJ
x

Submissions: 42

Posted on Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:05 pm

I would love a step by step if you don't mind. My sister has horses and something like this would make a great present for her some time.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:30 pm

I would really like to see it as well. Dang it though! I am sure after bending those nails you need a few days break!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next