Has anyone ever?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> League Business

Submissions: 153

Has anyone ever?
Posted on Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:36 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Thought of having a Facebook, and/or Twitter associated with the M.A.I.L. forums?

I'm not sure what the general consensus was concerning the self promotion of M.A.I.L. Was there ever an intention to actively expand the community, or just archive what manages to make its way here.

I personally want to feed. I want to suck all your souls for every creative, and surprising inspiration, and experience. To do that I want all current, and potential maillers to eventually make their way here.

To do that you need to reach out to those that may not find us through determined googling. A Facebook page that perhaps updates images from that gallery threads, or just the less frequent Gallery itself. Perhaps a Twitter that posts the thread titles of new topics.

Granted I know this much >.< about what it may take to even accomplish such a thing. Also I know that DL would likely do things to me that would make my mother cry for even suggesting it.

Forgive me if this has been brought up before, or perhaps even beaten to death in other iterations. I was fond of plastic bags as a child, and often though they made great head wear.

Hey if M.A.I.L. is, or was never really interested, or intended to go beyond the scope of a repository then I think a lot of folks did a wonderful job of exceeding that in spades.

Submissions: 4

Re: Has anyone ever?
Posted on Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:58 am

Derailed wrote:
Forgive me if this has been brought up before, or perhaps even beaten to death in other iterations.

If this has been brought up before, I would guess it was before my time cause I've never heard about it.

What exactly are you proposing? Twitter and Facebook, ok, but what does that really mean? For those of us who are unaffiliated with either of those services, what differences would we see? Would there be any noticeable difference?

I would be willing to discuss what it is you have in mind (not that I have much say in the matter, mind you), but I would need a lot more details first. All I see right now is a mention of two separate services and not much else.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:03 am

i think what he is asking for, is setting up a page on either/both of thoses social networking sites to to help "attract" more members or even visitors to M.A.I.L, think of it as an advertising tool to spread the word about our community here. as far as any thing changing on the site its self, nothing would really change, except the possibility of more traffic to the site and a growth of members.

IMO, i think it would be a good idea to consider, now speaking from experience on facebook, (has never used twitter) would be some one would have to physically update the site, as far as i know there isn't any way to automate the process, going the other way now, putting a feed on an external site showing your facebook updates is possible, but not practical in this this situation i believe.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:30 am

And then there's always competition with the 'unofficial' groupos.

I know there's at LEAST one Maille Artisans International League group on Facebook...

*below from a personal place, not an admin perspective*

Really, speaking for myself, I'm right effing sick of all these 'walled garden' social networking sites, that all do essentially the same thing a community site like this does, only on a larger scale, and don't interact with each other... Sure I have a few maillers as my friends on Facebook... But do I really want all of you? Or do I need another place to contact you? Not really...
imho, all this spawns, is more locations to crosspost, and dilute the community... If I want to chat with MAIL Members, I come here... If I run into another mailler who doesn't post here, I tell them to...

My two cents.

Submissions: 30

Posted on Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:15 pm

On the flip side, Lotos, isn't the goal of M.A.I.L. to spread information? It's not a question of diluting the site, it's a question of spreading the art to as many people as possible. From that perspective, the more hooks M.A.I.L. has into other communities, the more people we'd draw in to this site and community.

I'm sure that there are hundreds of 'maillers and potential 'maillers on Facebook that have no idea that this site exists.

I'm just looking at the mission statement at the top of the page and thinking that this isn't an exclusive or elitist community... it's one dedicated to teaching and reaching out.

(for the record, I'm not accusing anyone here of being elitist, I see Lotos' points and somewhat agree with aspects of them, but also want to provide a countering argument for discussion)

Posted on Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:18 pm

True there would need to be someone to actively update the social network pages. From what I understand a fair bit of it can be automated.
What content is added to them could be as little or as much as you want.

I pictured them more as just portals to M.A.I.L. I was just thinking about ways to expand public awareness about M.A.I.L in a relatively organic, and inexpensive way.

Submissions: 4

Posted on Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:24 pm

Cinnibar wrote:
On the flip side, Lotos, isn't the goal of M.A.I.L. to spread information?

Yes, but also to archive it. If many people starting focusing on other sites than this one, then the archival portion becomes that much more difficult.

Are we talking about another avenue (on Twitter or Facebook) for people to post, or just advertisements pointing people to this site? I think that would be an important distinction to make for further discussion.

Posted on Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:00 pm

Vorondil wrote:
Cinnibar wrote:
On the flip side, Lotos, isn't the goal of M.A.I.L. to spread information?

Yes, but also to archive it. If many people starting focusing on other sites than this one, then the archival portion becomes that much more difficult.

Are we talking about another avenue (on Twitter or Facebook) for people to post, or just advertisements pointing people to this site? I think that would be an important distinction to make for further discussion.

How do you mean focus on other sites. If MAIL had a fan Facebook page that mostly only redirected to the main site, and perhaps duplicated announcements then I am not sure how it would change archiving.

As a MAIL user I would not expect to find any of the database on FB, however I might get updates to my on FB page from the MAIL one that would let me know something is going on. I would also have an easier time getting interested people to MAIL as FB is fairly common.

Twitter on the other hand really needs no interaction from the readers, just a handy way to showcase the site, reach a new audience, or perhaps add a way current users interact with MAIL.

Being updated on your phone that a new weave was added, new gallery photo is up, or a new tutorial might appeal to some.

Posted on Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:28 am

Derailed wrote:
however I might get updates to my on FB page from the MAIL one that would let me know something is going on. I would also have an easier time getting interested people to MAIL as FB is fairly common.

Being updated on your phone that a new weave was added, new gallery photo is up, or a new tutorial might appeal to some.

^^^ This
This is something I might consider looking into...

I'd really like: Phong & Drax, lorraine & ZiLi, and Narrina to weigh in whether they'd be interested in keeping an eye on a Facebook Group of Fan page... And posting an update when they accepted something... It would add to the work load, as it can't be done 'automatically'... But it's worth considering.

Posted on Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:23 am

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
Derailed wrote:
however I might get updates to my on FB page from the MAIL one that would let me know something is going on. I would also have an easier time getting interested people to MAIL as FB is fairly common.

^^^ This
This is something I might consider looking into...

I'd really like: Phong & Drax, lorraine & ZiLi, and Narrina to weigh in whether they'd be interested in keeping an eye on a Facebook Group of Fan page... And posting an update when they accepted something... It would add to the work load, as it can't be done 'automatically'... But it's worth considering.

You could also consider adding to your ranks to pick up the extra work load if the existing moderators have enough on their plates. I picture a FB mod would mainly post content that may be appealing, and then forward questions from viewers to the forums here in hopes to have them answered, or at the most throw up a link to the forums that may have already answered the question. Making the FB page really just another way to be introduced to MAIL itself.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:44 am

Daemon_Lotos wrote:

While I am not much of a Facebook user, I realize that I'm in the minority there. So while I don't really have a burning desire to have an "official" FB page, I'm also not against having one. And the added work of posting notices about new stuff added to the site seems manageable to me.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 106

Posted on Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:56 am

Derailed wrote:
You could also consider adding to your ranks to pick up the extra work load if the existing moderators have enough on their plates. I picture a FB mod would mainly post content that may be appealing, and then forward questions from viewers to the forums here in hopes to have them answered, or at the most throw up a link to the forums that may have already answered the question. Making the FB page really just another way to be introduced to MAIL itself.

I'm not in favor of forwarding questions from other places, including FB, over to MAIL. I think the community does a very good job of answering people's questions here in the forums. I'd much rather continue to encourage that instead of having a "go-between" or a second MAIL on FB.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:09 am

lorraine wrote:
Derailed wrote:

I'm not in favor of forwarding questions from other places, including FB, over to MAIL. I think the community does a very good job of answering people's questions here in the forums. I'd much rather continue to encourage that instead of having a "go-between" or a second MAIL on FB.
\

You misunderstand me. I meant exactly what you said. There would undoubtedly be people who will discover MAIL through FB(assuming the page eventually exists). Some may try and ask for info, comment on pictures, or just show interest. At that point whomever the operator is that person would encourage them to direct the question here on the forums, or perhaps link a current thread with a similar topic so the new person is exposed to mail. The whole point in my mind would not to create a community on FB, but instead use the network as a portal of sorts. FB would just be a nice place to expose some of the nice gallery images the community post here, perhaps info on some of the ongoing challenges, and contests, and maybe a monthly feature of some tutorials, articles, or project ideas.

Submissions: 75

Posted on Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:23 pm

Daemon_Lotos wrote:

I can't say I'm too enthusiastic about it. The more activity that takes place offsite of MAIL, dilutes the relevance of MAIL. A FB page would either stagnate and die (in which case what's the point of making it) or grow and take attention/activity away from MAIL itself (dilution, cross-posting headaches, etc). Reposting content on FB would both take attention and activity away from MAIL proper, and require a content policy rewrite.

If it was something on Twitter where only additions to the database were announced (announcing every new forum thread would be prohibitive and largely uninteresting) then it might be useful, but in that case people can take 2 minutes and actually come to MAIL every now and then. For keeping track of updates, a simple RSS feed would do the trick. I realize RSS feeds aren't the sexy new thing any more, but they work.

For getting MAIL a more noticeable presence/attracting new members, you'd be hard pressed to spend any time on the online maille world and not come across a reference to MAIL at some point. Heck, even other forums who claim to be glad to not be like MAIL still post and refer to the site whenever a question comes up. MAIL attracts users by being relevant and useful, not by getting on a Twitter stool and shouting about how cool it is.

-phong

-- CGMaille tutorials now hosted here at MAIL! --

Posted on Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:54 pm

Derailed wrote:
FB would just be a nice place to expose some of the nice gallery images the community post here

Our Charter prevents this.
A submitter retains ALL rights to his images, and we are not allowed to post elsehwere regardless of the benefit, or whether that 'elsewhere' is linked to MAIL.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 3. Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next