Spot Welding Maille: A how to
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 4

Spot Welding Maille: A how to
Posted on Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:35 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

So I just wrote this one this morning and wanted some feedback on it to see what people think of it and what info I missed or want added to it etc.

Critique away!!

Spot welding maille: A how to

And to Phong, if you had to go through that and clean up all the code, I'm sorry. Didn't realize it needed to be done more or less just like a forum post until I was looking at the version posted and went in to edit some formatting issues.

One downside to posting on this forum....no beer emote. I feel deprived. Razz

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:45 pm

The only critique I have is...the article is in need of more pictures! Wink

Posted on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:30 pm

I was planning on adding some of welded rings. Anything else people want to see? Part of the reason there isn't many photos is that I would like to do a bunch of things people want to see and get them added in one go.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:21 am

You skimmed over a lot of the wiring. That could use more pictures. The average person hears about components and freaks out. You need to make it like LEGO for them.

Also, if you want to cut the power to your welder in half, you can just use 1 single (15A) diode and a switch eh? Comes in handy. Chops off half the sine wave.

I still cringe at your setup. Dimmers in parallel = asking for trouble, unless they're loaded exactly the same. And dimmers + inductive load = more trouble. Though, if it's worked, it's worked I suppose.

Definitely more pictures for everything. Pictures are worth 1000 words and all.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:04 am

Cynake wrote:
Dimmers in parallel = asking for trouble, unless they're loaded exactly the same. And dimmers + inductive load = more trouble.

The Electrician in me has to point out that this is a horrid idea... Especially using cheap household dimmers...

The moment one of them is set to a lower resistance than the rest... *BAM* that one becomes the solo circuit path.
(Path of least resistance)

The better thing to use would be a single Variac in place of the household dimmers, or a household dimmer rather up to 15Amps...

Posted on Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:09 am

Since people have been ragging on me about my electronics skills I'm going to be revising this with better ideas than that thing I worked out. Just so you guys know...don't try this method at home!

Submissions: 20

Posted on Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:12 am

Freyr wrote:
Since people have been ragging on me about my electronics skills I'm going to be revising this with better ideas than that thing I worked out. Just so you guys know...don't try this method at home!

I should point out, the setup is sound, minus the voltage control method...

Posted on Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:52 am

The voltage control was most of the point since the spot welder is a commercial unit. I need to work on technique discussion as well since I kind of just rushed that. Either way this is a work in progress and I want feedback from people as I do it in order to get a quality resource for people who want to weld armour grade maille.

UPDATED!
Posted on Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:32 pm

Ok I've done some more work on this article and updated the sections regarding how to ramp back the power of the welder. I'm sure the update will appear shortly since I just submitted it and it needs clearing.

There are still no pictures since I haven't gotten around to taking some and likely won't for a few weeks because I'm going to be busy enough that doing such won't be possible. However on my list of pictures I'm planning to add are the following:

1) Wiring demonstration for both the diode process and the fan controller method - fan controller method will be done using a dimmer since I dont have a fan controller
2)Various weld types/positions

Anything else people want to see or think need clarification/more detail? Stuff to add? Please be picky as I'm still aiming this to be a solid resource that doesn't have huge gaps in it. Hence the multi-step approach to writing it.

Cheers!

Posted on Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:21 pm

Just an update on this since its been a while:

I'm currently in the process of buying a house and moving to the Yukon. Still plan on finishing this article someday but it will be a while before I have time and all my equipment moved. In the mean time still appreciate input.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:06 am

I would add What type of solder your useing. I know its a small detail but I can picture someone spending the time to do this getting very frusterated with plumbing solder or Acid core eating components.

Call the screw Connectors Wire nuts. I know its a small detail but it helps when you ask at the parts counter.

On the Technique section throw in the obligitory don't weld Galvanize steel.
Site that the zine fumes are bad And the zink will cause a weak weld/inclusions or what have you. I know it gets beat to death regularly but its important.

Step 3 on the welder mod
Should reference a chainmail pinup calander or a Fund Raising pinup calander Preferably both. There has to be one for Cancer research or some other nobel cause.

Posted on Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:16 am

So just to bring this whole article back from the dead (well..8 month hiatus) I did a little digging around and found a router speed controller that is available from most woodworking suppliers and costs about $30-40 (rated 110V 15amp; same as a household circuit). I think would solve the power problem beautifully and easily. Meaning a working welder for maille for under $200 and almost no technical expertise needed to build it(welding itself on the other hand is a learning curve...).

If your in the US you can get all of this stuff off Amazon for about $130 plus shipping(cheap spot welder and router speed controller). In Canada I'm having a harder time finding sources for stuff. The only speed controller I've found online so far is from Busy Bee tools (linked below) and cheap spot welders hard hard to find unless your on e-bay and even then they come out of the US.

Anyway just thought I'd toss that out there as I still plan to finish this article far better than it currently is at some point in time.

Amazon Speed Controller

Amazon Spot welder

Speed Controller-Busy Bee Tools

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1