View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 17

Anodising Coils Vs Rings
Posted on Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:24 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

G'day Ladies and Bruce's.
(Sorry long post ahead).

So I got an Nb/Ti anodiser recently and actually got around to using it last weekend.

A few minor hickups but I think i'm sorting things out.

I started by making rings, tumbling them and anodising them on a wire hook.

Comments:
Threading rings onto a wire is a pain in the . . . .
Untangling rings after tumbling is a pain in the . . . . .
The colours aren't very consistent which is kind of a pain in the . . . . . however the mixes do look kind of cool.

Last minute trial. Anodising an uncut coil. Cut after anodising.

Comments:
Process is very easy.
Colour initially appeared extremely consistent.
Cut ends aren't anodised.

While the coil initially appeared completely consistent after cutting I noticed that the sides of the rings which butted up against the adjacent rings are slightly down the spectrum, ie didn't anodise as much.

This could be because I pulled the coil out after it started to go past the colour I wanted. Required voltages are clearly lower for uncut coils than rings on wires which makes sense as you don't get the voltage drop between hook/ring.

I have two things to try:
A: Getting the voltage right and letting it sit for a few extra seconds,
B: Making a suitable hook and pulling the coil slightly while immersed to expose all parts.
I reckon B will definately work if A doesn't.

Probably won't get to try it out until next weekend though.

I'm tending to be leaning toward the anodising uncut coils method. Seems to be easier and more consistent.

The obvious downside is that the cut ends don't get anodised but i'm pretty happy with my closures so this isn't a huge problem for me, I also use a bit of EC so i'm used to hiding cut faces.

If you can get even colours from coils you can still make custom mixes by combining rings from coils done at slightly varying voltages. Some cool possiblilities there.

Has anyone noticed much benifit in tumbling before anodising? Tumbling coils will only get the outside edge so possibly a downside of the coil method.

And anyone else got any other experience to lend?

What method(s) do you use?

Edit: Fixed spelling.

Maille Code V2.0 T6.3 R5.9 Eo.p Fe4.1 MFe.s Wgh Cpdb G2.0-0.3 I10.2-1.2 N28.23 Pa Dadejs Xg18 S03

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:55 pm

How long are you anodizing for?

Are you shaking/stirring/agitating the rings so that the bubbles come off of them?

Are you cleaning the rings with anything before putting them into the anodizing solution?

Are you using tap water or distilled water for your anodizing solution?

Have you thought of fashioning a "basket" of sorts out of titanium for anodizing?

I haven't had any issue with consistinsy in colors with my titanium rings.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:31 pm

I usually do rings myself... But I did a half pound of coils for a friend using my home-made annodizer...

From that experience, I can vouch for Method A... Get the voltage right. There's still the potential to over-anodize, but being able to leave it in for a little longer will allow the parts of the coil that touch to anodize properly.

The only worry with coils is attachment...

If you leave a 'tail' to attach your annode to, you're wasting wire... If you force a wire between the rings, you're botching a ring or two...

My only true 'solution' I've been able to come up with is finding Titanium Alligator Clips... And then stripping the anodize between dips...
That's by far seriously counter-useful...

Waste seems easiest to deal with, sadly.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 20

Posted on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:34 pm

Also, remember, you can always anodize a finished piece Very Happy

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 4

Posted on Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:48 pm

I should preface by saying that I have no experience whatsoever with titanium anodizing.
ChainedReaction wrote:
Have you thought of fashioning a "basket" of sorts out of titanium for anodizing?

I imagine you mean use the basket instead of hooks to hold the rings. But if the basket is titanium, wouldn't it also become anodized?

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:09 pm

Vorondil wrote:
I should preface by saying that I have no experience whatsoever with titanium anodizing.
ChainedReaction wrote:

I imagine you mean use the basket instead of hooks to hold the rings. But if the basket is titanium, wouldn't it also become anodized?

Yes. It would. However with a conveniently placed solution of MultiEtch between 140-160 degrees Fahrenheit it doesn't take very long to remove the anodization on the basket. Plus you would only have to remove the anodization if you are trying to anodize at a lower voltage as the anodization of titanium does not remove its conductive properties.

Submissions: 17

Posted on Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:16 pm

With rings on a wire i'm anodising until they stop chainging colour and a bit longer. Up to about a minute for the high voltage colours.

I did agitate them alot. More on that in a bit.

I tumbled them with no other media (letting them tumble each other) with water and burnishing soap stuff.

Using tap water. Our water here is pretty good but i might try distilled water. I can get it for free if i can be bothered going to get it.

I have read about baskets and thats what I was going to do until I tried just anodising coils.

I think the colour mix comes from different rings having better/worse contact with the wire. When agitating alot I did notice better (but not perfect) colour consistency and I was able to 'fix' some rings which were falling behind by pressing them between the wire and the bottom of the anodising container to give better contact.
It works but its not real easy and hardly consistent. It helps having a nice curve to your hook.

My colour mix isn't too bad. Its about the same as the mix I got when I used to order from TRL. But to get it I have to fiddle about heaps during anodising when it seems so simple to just anodise the whole coil and have them all perfectly match.

So do most people anodise rings rather than coils then?

Do most people use a wire or baskets?

Maille Code V2.0 T6.3 R5.9 Eo.p Fe4.1 MFe.s Wgh Cpdb G2.0-0.3 I10.2-1.2 N28.23 Pa Dadejs Xg18 S03

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1