Stainless Steel Clasps. Anyone got a good source?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Stainless Steel Clasps. Anyone got a good source?
Posted on Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:40 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Good morning boys and girls!

Wondering if anyone out there in Neverland has a good source for Stainless steel clasps? I have a number of bracelets that I need to finish up, but I can't seem to find the right kind of clasp!

Specifically, I'm looking for multi-strand clasps, like a tube or box clssp, for three (and also two) rows.

Found oodles in Sterling and plated, but really want to match the material if I can.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

T.W. Johnny

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. The hard part is following the line.

Posted on Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:58 pm

The Ring Lord had 3 strand stainless tube clasps. I haven't seen stainless tube clasps anywhere else I shop. beadfx.com has a nice selection of tube clasps--no stainless but if you do go with plated they have 2, 3, & 4 strand ones. Just be sure to get the ones called "bright silver". I got "antiqued silver" by mistake once and they are a gunmetal colour--a nice match for niobium though. Smile

I don't use box clasps so have never really looked at the selection for those.

Submissions: 337

Posted on Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:23 pm

I'm not sure on this but Rio Grande may also have something useful.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 4

Posted on Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:33 pm

Ah, the familiar plight of trying to find stainless steel clasps. The last time we had this discussion (the previous person was actually looking for a toggle clasp, I believe), the only results that I recall were the stainless steel lobster clasps from TRL. Apparently, they also have a 3-strand slide clasp, which is good news for you.

When I have made stainless steel bracelets, I have usually used gunmetal clasps of various types. It's not too much of a contrast in colors and certainly looks better than a silver colored clasp, at least to my eye. BBB has four colors of slide clasps in four sizes (2, 3, 4, and 5 strand). Sadly, no stainless though.

Posted on Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:44 pm

TRL has been out of stock for a while. I emailed them and the reply said they were ordering from THEIR supplier, but it would be 6-8 weeks.

I'm on something of a deadline, so was hoping to find an alternative source.

Guess it's not looking good... Sad

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. The hard part is following the line.

Posted on Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:12 pm

Only thing I can think of would be to make one. It's a pain, but it can be done. There are a few articles on here, http://mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=585 is good for two rows. Or http://mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=29550 for something a little more sophisticated. In any case, best of luck in your search!

Submissions: 149

Posted on Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:40 am || Last edited by ZiLi on Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total

I also opt for DIY clasps, whenever possible. It's always better to fit a clasp to a bracelet design, than having the need to fit the bracelet to a given clasp. And there's simply only a limited choice of commercially available ones.

But be prepared to invest some work, especially if a bit sturdier, springier wire is used to make a clasp yourself - as the wire used for making the clasp should match the wire used for making the bracelet, a stainless one can be a PITA when making, especially if some more sophisticated multistrand bracelet design is chosen that needs a bit more complicated clasp. Be prepared to have a couple of setbacks, but have the satisfaction of success when having finished a COMPLETELY selfmade product in the end. It's worth the invested work. And you never run out of clasps.

I must admit: I did not yet succeed in making good multistrand clasps from Stainless (e.g. my 'ambiclasp' project stalled), so some of my wider pieces get TRL tube clasps. But all narrow chains that need a clasp get their DIY one.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 2

Posted on Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:42 am

Sorry wish I could help you with that one, but I make mine or have my friend make them for me if I haven't the time. His name Arturo and he is a member here. I will have him post a how to on that one. He is a fourth gen. master jeweler after all.

You are only limited by ones self, for trying is never failure. You may have just hit your limitations.
You can tell some one a 1000 times how to do some thing or show them once and they can do it a 1000 times over.

Posted on Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:35 pm

Zili, your Ambiclasp was awesome. I considered trying to make one yesterday, except that I don't actually have anything to put it on atm. I can say that the coil clasp is a bit difficult in stainless, I haven't made an effective one yet. For some reason I find it infinitely easier to make my coils on my round nose pliers at this point though. Less pulling on the wire and what not. I think that, for stainless, BigTitann's clasp may be a bit easier to manage.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3538/3470551065_a8aa66a631_m.jpg For those who don't know what I mean by that.
All of the clasps in this thread http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=13254&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
were pretty awesome. [/list]

Submissions: 4

Posted on Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:44 am

PeachieClean wrote:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3538/3470551065_a8aa66a631_m.jpg For those who don't know what I mean by that.
All of the clasps in this thread http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=13254&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
were pretty awesome. [/list]

Thanks for the links. I had no idea what you were talking about until I saw those at the end of your post. However, to make things easier, it might be nice to link directly to the post you were referring to so we don't have to read the whole thread to find it.

Also, you can insert the links directly into your sentences so we know what they go to, rather than having them simply listed at the end. For example, you could list the links like so: BigT's coil clasp and ZiLi's Ambiclasp prototype.

Submissions: 30

Posted on Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:44 am

This has actually been my holy grail for about two months. I've just been using the gunmetal coated ones myself, since I can't find stainless anywhere.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1