Newbie Introduction & Induction (Part the 2nd)
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 2

Posted on Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:50 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hello all, Jake here.

So, I got my wife a couple of little instruction booklets by "The ChainMaille Lady" (Basics of Chain Maille and Advanced Chain Maille) for our first Christmas being married this year, along with some jump rings to start messing with. She already does a lot of beaded jewelry, so I figured it would be a good activity for us to start learning and doing together. As it turns out, sometimes I'm right! Very Happy

We blew through the couple of little starter baggies or rings I got and have gotten a good many more as we quickly learned all the weaves in the books. Needless to say, we're both fairly well hooked on this whole chainmaille thing. I've always thought maille armor and the like was badass, but I never really gave much thought to trying it out myself; I'm more of an illustrator/comic artist. However, I'm really glad that we did.

This looked to be the most active and legit-looking chainmaille community site I found in my initial google searchings, so I thought I'd pop on here and introduce myself. Mostly just looking for a place with people to talk to about maille, and a place to learn more advanced ideas and techniques.

See ya around! Very Happy
† Post Apocalyptic Jake †

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:24 pm

Greetings from Czech republic. Smile

I am ocassional mailler specialized mostly on jewellery (but have made some armor and inlays too) and planning to make some sculptures.

Brief Intro
Posted on Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:26 pm

Greetings all!

My name is Keely. I just got started mailling about a year ago and have fallen in love with it. In many ways it has come naturally to me. In many ways, I got my start a little oddly. I've been curious about mailling for a long time, but never had the opportunity (or money!) to get started. A friend of mine was working with a mutual friend of ours creating stretchy maille bracelets to sell at cons when he got notified his unit was being shipped out. He knew of my interest and asked if I would mind taking over, which I did. Talk about throwing someone in the deep end! Having never done chain maille and then having to figure out how to adapt the techniques to use the rubber rings has proven interesting. I'm still in the basic beginners stage, though. And most of my learning has been from seeing items or pictures and figuring it out from there. I just got internet at my house and was having a blast looking up images and trying to find patterns when I came across this site. It is amazing and I look forward to being able to ask questions and share my experiments.

Posted on Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:59 pm

Hi to all!!

My name is Britani, some call me Brit, but that's neither here nor there.. I am honored and inspired to be a part of your fine group.
I have been doing chain maille for years now but only off and on until now.

Hail!
Posted on Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:38 am

Hail! My name is Keith. My main reason for joining this site is to have some questions answered. I have noticed that the internet is severely lacking in "good" tutorials on mailing. Hopefully i get my questions answered, which will enable me to create better tutorials that include comprehensive words and pictures. Instead of having just text, or bad pics with bad instructions. I am mostly interested in armors and clothing.

" The Dude abides. " The Dude

Posted on Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:39 pm

Howdy from Missouri!! My name is Laura. I have always been fascinated with chainmaille and how it moves so fluidly. Love the whole medieval age time period. I've been making jewelry for 3 years now and selling for about six months. Main focus is western jewelry. (we live in a rural area and have horses), western living is our lifestyle, not a room design. Have a passion for roses (pink) and my husband of 22 years Don. Two kids, 16 and 20. Hope to learn lots here. I want to incorporate chainmaille weaves with my western jewelry. Doing well so far with the byzantine weave, but want to learn more. Found Baelrog's "barb wire" chain and would love to talk to him. Tried his website, but went round and round with yahoo and no chance to email him.

If you know Tyler, please direct him my way!! Thanks!! Eager to meet all of you and learn lots and lots.

Submissions: 1

Howdy!
Posted on Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

My names Mariah and I'm sending some heys from Midwestern Illinois! I've just started weaving in about April of last year and I'm slowly working up from a lowly European 4 in 1 and just bought the new "Chained" book by Rebecca M.

Glad to be a part of this community! If I ever have any questions I always go to this site!

Posted on Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:39 am

Hello all! New to this wonderful art of chain maille, however I am a beader as well Smile. Would love to find out where the best place is to purchase rings. I am looking to make jewelry of all sorts and any hints and tips are welcome. Very Happy

Clydeski is a Newbie.
Posted on Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:06 pm

Hi. I am just getting started as a weaver and very impressed with the beauty of the art. I'm in Shoreline, Washington. At this point I believe I want to focus on jewelry and accessories. Wish me luck. Wink

Posted on Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:38 pm

Greetings,
I’m Abri and I have been making chainmaille for about two and a half years. I’m a larper and a bit of a Ren Faire addict. Despite this, I’ve never actually made any armor. I have a fondness for bright colors and sparkly beads, so I stick to making jewelry.

Posted on Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:49 pm

Ohaio gozaimasu!

My name is Robert and I am a newb mailler. I've only been doing this for a couple days now. Addicted to ren fest/fantasy stuff. I've made a necklace. I'll try to post a pic on the forums. Isn't the greatest, but I like it for a first piece. Hoping to find people I can chat with about chainmaille and learn a thing or 6,000. Also, an avid Japanese addict. Getting ready to teach myself to speak it.

Posted on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:30 pm

Hi. Thanks for letting me join in your group. I am a retired teacher and work as an accountant/office mgr. I am very interested in maille as to historical perspectives and current application in jewelry and beadwork. I unfortunately don't get as much time as I would like to make or design pieces, but I am working on that. I am a member/officer of local groups such as Gem and Mineral Society of Louisiana, Beading groups, etc. ML

Ferret
Posted on Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:44 am

Ohai, My story starts with me drunkenly demanding to wear some of my friends chain-mail shirts while having a Celtic based party out in the woods. After having the steel godliness caressing my skin I decided i must have one. And a month later after many a blister and jury rigged devices I realized I love this craft. I have many a question but i must organize them in alphabetical order and spell check them before I crash the forum with a flood of poorly typed queries.

Silly shenanigans all around me

Design software
Posted on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:44 am

Hi My name is Patricia and I discovered this craft about a year ago. I love it and I would like to design my own line. Does anyone out there know of a user friendly jewelry design software???? I would love one that would work with the aspect ratios so you would know what size rings to use in your design. I would love to hear any suggestions.javascript:emoticon('Coif Smiley')

Posted on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:53 am

Ello, Im Brittany , been chain mailing for about two years now, and now im finally making an account instead of just stalk this site lol

Jump to:  
Page 17 of 90. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 88, 89, 90  Next