Newbie Introduction & Induction (Part the 2nd)
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:01 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi. My name is Alex and the only mail I knew about are 'male', ' e-mail', and 'snail-mail'. Now I know that there's a different kind of mail that can also be spelled 'maille'. So I have zero experience with maille. I hope to change that around.

Although my crafting experience as of late involved cardboard, paper, and leather crafting. I've not done anything with wires except in electronics.

I like to work with my hands as a zen thing and I found some beautiful weaves and garments made with the Rings that I would like to learn to make.

Submissions: 3

Hello
Posted on Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:05 am

I've been lurking on this site teaching myself maille for a couple years now, finally decided to make an account and maybe post some pictures of my work, now that I'm good enough at it to make something worth sharing.
I mostly make jewelry, and sometimes dice bags (I play D&D). I'm also an engineering student.
I've always liked making things, but a few years back I started playing around with wire and then discovered chainmail and now there's no going back. I've also intermittently been trying to learn blacksmithing.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:47 am

RingAlex wrote:
Hi. My name is Alex and . . .

I like to work with my hands as a zen thing and I found some beautiful weaves and garments made with the Rings that I would like to learn to make.

[all together] Hiiii, Alex.

So what are the things you want to try making and what would you like to start on?

Garment mail is the sort of thing I do, as I'm an "I just make armour" kind of guy. There's nothing quite like a shirt, gotta tell ya -- unless maybe it's voiders for platearmor harness. A camail for a bascinet helmet of the 14th century is a quicker project, being as it uses about a fifth the links of a midthigh-length shirt.

For most mortals, the least expensive wire suffices for mailshirts. Those in the rainiest parts of the Pacific Northwest or the steamy zones of Louisiana through Florida may have a different view of it, and go stainless.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Posted on Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:09 pm

Smile Hi out there in M.A.I.L. World! Seems no one has "introduced "themselves since 2010....wow....7 years ago.....May I be the first to start a new era of Introduction Entries.... Welcome ME! Love this site and am excited to learn all about Chain Maile....I am new. So far, I am in love with Lorraines Cloud Cover and 4 Winds.... looking for the correct ring size now....would like a 16 gage ...so trying to figure out the rest is my challenge right now, Smile

Re: Newbie Introduction & Induction (Part the 2nd)
Posted on Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:02 pm

MailArtisans wrote:
This thread is intended as an area for new members to introduce themselves.
Click "Post Reply" in the Upper Right hand corner, and say hi! Very Happy

Consider telling us about you, where you're from, what your interests are... And of course, feel free to nose around the rest of the fourms Wink

This is the second thread for New Members to post in... After the explosion of:

http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=6743
On September 1st, 2010.... It had been alive since March 11th, 2006... May it rest in peace...

And may this thread not explode like that one did.

Hello, people, I just got here so just don't judge me. Yet.... I am a beginner in maille, however I made a few 4 in 1 European weaves from paper clips. I do know a bit of blacksmithing though! I study the medieval period extensively (it's my job) so I know some history...

Posted on Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:06 pm

Also, just sayng, but I may make a LOT of mistakes when writing in this forum... It's the first time I ever joined a forum... Hope it goes well Smile. Also I think I quoted the last message wrongly....

Submissions: 1

Posted on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:09 pm

Just saying Hi. Going to be submitting some weaves soon.. THANKS !!

Posted on Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:10 pm

Um, hi. I'm Patti, a.k.a. Little Moth. I've been making chains for 6 years (as of 2 days ago). I have no clue what to say. I just joined on here because I finally got up the nerve to submit weaves. I haven't been a member of a forum since about 2005 when one I'd been a very active member of was abruptly deleted and my poor little heart was broken, 3000+ posts poofed away... I have been afraid to get involved in forums since. Then I reluctantly joined a facebook group for "flow artists" (prop manipulators!) and one of the admins decided to delete EVERYONE from the group to start over and... well that didn't go so well.
So now I'm here...saying a reluctant hello... not sure if I'll never post again or suddenly find myself so over-invested people will wonder if I ever shut up. (Yes, I do shut up, but I also ramble a lot. Wink )

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:50 am

Little_Moth wrote:
Um, hi. I'm Patti, a.k.a. Little Moth. I've been making chains for 6 years (as of 2 days ago). I have no clue what to say. I just joined on here because I finally got up the nerve to submit weaves. I haven't been a member of a forum since about 2005 when one I'd been a very active member of was abruptly deleted and my poor little heart was broken, 3000+ posts poofed away... I have been afraid to get involved in forums since. Then I reluctantly joined a facebook group for "flow artists" (prop manipulators!) and one of the admins decided to delete EVERYONE from the group to start over and... well that didn't go so well.
So now I'm here...saying a reluctant hello... not sure if I'll never post again or suddenly find myself so over-invested people will wonder if I ever shut up. (Yes, I do shut up, but I also ramble a lot. Wink )

You won't be deleted here. Your time and investment in this hobby is up to you! We will answer your questions as best we can. Facebook seems a bit shallow to me. More about showing off your work. Just my opinion.

Don't be offended if your weaves are not accepted as weaves. A lot of EXCELLENT designs are first submitted as weaves.

Welcome, and I hope you like it here!

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

G'day
Posted on Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:53 am

I have been making chainmaille for a month. I also carve bone. I am hooked.I live in The Whitsundays, Queensland, Australia

hello
Posted on Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:21 pm

Hi, I am a newbie. I've registered for submitting a tutorial, but have no idea how to do it. It seems that newbies can't do it.

Submissions: 106

Re: hello
Posted on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:28 am

LodkaStudio wrote:
Hi, I am a newbie. I've registered for submitting a tutorial, but have no idea how to do it. It seems that newbies can't do it.

Go to "User Panel" at the top menu when you are signed in and click on "My M.A.I.L." That will bring you to your own personal MAIL page. Scroll down to "Submit an Article" and click on it. Follow the directions from there.
If you have trouble or have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Re: hello
Posted on Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:48 am

lorraine wrote:
Go to "User Panel" at the top menu when you are signed in and click on "My M.A.I.L." That will bring you to your own personal MAIL page. Scroll down to "Submit an Article" and click on it. Follow the directions from there.
If you have trouble or have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Thank you! Smile I'll try now.

Posted on Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:45 pm

Started making a few things as Christmas gifts this year and decided I like it. Trying to learn how everything works, how to plan what I want to make and then get the rings.
Looking/listening mostly.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:33 am

Hi. I first learnt about 12-13 years ago. Have been doing a VERY small amount every year or so since then. Been lurking here on and off that whole time too!

I decided to focus a little more of my time and learn some more weaves about a year ago. Still don't get much time to do anything but I'm making good progress with expanding my skill set.

Have submitted a couple of photo's for weaves that didn't have many examples. Hopefully they will be accepted soon!

Jump to:  
Page 88 of 90. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 87, 88, 89, 90  Next