Weave restrictions
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Weave restrictions
Posted on Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:08 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Recently I was notified that a necklace photo would be taken off my flickr page due to a copyright infringement on my part. I'm not even sure precisely which necklace it was, but I think it was one I made long ago and probably sold long ago. I was rather surprised, but I must have gotten too close to someone's design - and I am sorry Since that time I have a much better understanding about copyrights etc. and do respect the rights of the artist.

I would like clarification please: Are there any copyright restrictions on the weave itself? I've research this before and didn't think there was, but in light of the copyright controversy I would like to be sure.

Laura

Submissions: 337

Posted on Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:42 pm

I had a notice from a publishing company that one of my designs was found on someone else's Flickr site recently, might have been you. If it was, then it was down to the design and not the weave.
To be clear I have a copyright on 8 specific designs in Stepping Stones weave, these were copytrighted under my name by the publishing company that published them. Maybe your design was close enough for them to take notice.
So no restriction on the weave just a specific design.
There are only 2 necklace designs in the copyright, this one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/redcrow/2938619897/in/set-72157611096575542/
and this one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/redcrow/4164518862/in/set-72157611096575542/
If it was one of them (or very close to one of them) the publishing company may have asked for a take down.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 75

Posted on Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:45 pm

Legba3 wrote:
I had a notice from a publishing company that one of my designs was found on someone else's Flickr site recently, might have been you. If it was, then it was down to the design and not the weave.
To be clear I have a copyright on 8 specific designs in Stepping Stones weave, these were copytrighted under my name by the publishing company that published them. Maybe your design was close enough for them to take notice.
So no restriction on the weave just a specific design.
There are only 2 necklace designs in the copyright, this one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/redcrow/2938619897/in/set-72157611096575542/
and this one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/redcrow/4164518862/in/set-72157611096575542/
If it was one of them (or very close to one of them) the publishing company may have asked for a take down.

So....after all this hullabaloo about aCoR claiming copyright on the scale flowers design, you have 8 stepping stone designs copyrighted yourself? I don't know if that's funny or sad.

Since the 'designs' just look like lengths of stepping stones without any extensive fanciness done to them, what is it about these particular necklaces that bear copyright? Is it the specific ring sizes used?

-phong

-- CGMaille tutorials now hosted here at MAIL! --

Posted on Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:52 pm

No Phong if you read my post you would have seen that I said the publishing company copyrighted them. This was part of having them published and they required it, they paid for it and registered the designs in my name. It is for very specific designs and may not have anything to do with Laura.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 106

Posted on Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:05 pm

Legba3 wrote:
No Phong if you read my post you would have seen that I said the publishing company copyrighted them. This was part of having them published and they required it, they paid for it and registered the designs in my name. It is for very specific designs and may not have anything to do with Laura.

So you don't see ANY similarity with you allowing (You were not forced to published these designs in print. It was a choice on your part.) a simple stepping stones necklace design to be copyrighted in your name? Legba, you're smarter than that. I KNOW you are.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:17 pm

You seem to have missed half of your question lorraine. If you are relating this to the scale flowers saga then no, it's not the same. That was about all 5 petal flowers not a specific design.

Phong makes money from selling his tutorials which I'm sure are copyrighted. I had a chance to make some money from 8 very specific designs if they were copyrighted, so I did. I do not issue take downs over any of them but the publishing company will if they see something that matches those designs. I would have thought that anyone making an exact copy would ask anyway, most people on here do.

Maille Code

Submissions: 106

Posted on Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:23 pm

Legba3 wrote:
You seem to have missed half of your question lorraine. If you are relating this to the scale flowers saga then no, it's not the same. That was about all 5 petal flowers not a specific design.

Phong makes money from selling his tutorials which I'm sure are copyrighted. I had a chance to make some money from 8 very specific designs if they were copyrighted, so I did. I do not issue take downs over any of them but the publishing company will if they see something that matches those designs. I would have thought that anyone making an exact copy would ask anyway, most people on here do.

You seem to have willfully missed my point entirely and avoided answering the question. That's okay, I got my answer anyway.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:48 pm

This sidetrack aside, no boudica, there aren't any restrictions on the base weaves themselves. Some people try to claim overly broad or mistakenly-directed rights to them, but there is no problem with making the weaves. For example, you could use the *cough* freely available tutorials on my site to make anything you like, and can sell the maille pieces you make from using my tutorials. Same goes with the tutorials here on MAIL.

Happy weaving!

-phong

Posted on Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:53 pm

Yes Phong they are freely available unless people want to print them, then you charge (and I'm sure there's a copyright notice on the printed version), that was my point in mentioning it.

Maille Code

Posted on Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:06 pm

Legba3 wrote:
Yes Phong they are freely available unless people want to print them, then you charge (and I'm sure there's a copyright notice on the printed version), that was my point in mentioning it.

This is incorrect. People can print freely the text. I've promised the option of purchasing full print-ready versions for a while, but haven't gotten that off the ground (much to the chagrin of my adoring fans). So unless someone wants to commission their own personal tutorials, no, people do not pay for my tutorials.

At any rate, if you want to continue this line of discussion, please move it to PM. It's not really relevant to this thread.

-phong

Submissions: 79

Posted on Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:20 pm

phong does not try to stop people from making their own tutorials.

copyrighting maille is pretty fail.

people don't copy my work because it is not easily replicated.
i looked at those designs and it's not like they are brain surgery.
they are nice, but they are simple.

does this "copyright" have limited ARs? any limitations? those necklaces are effectively a weave in the weave library, with an extra iteration at the end of the curve. .. and the "weave" is a japanese variation. does this copyright try to extend to all thin strips of japanese? people have no right to limit the work of another artisan.

so many people have worked hard to try to increase the available knowledge that anyone greedy enough to go after another mailler for their own pursuit of the craft missed the point completely.

i don't have any problem with you, personally, legba.. but i have to admit some serious disappointment here. this is pretty much the same thing as the scale flower issue.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Posted on Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:26 pm

No it's not the same, it is very specific down to ring sizes, it will not stop anyone using a weave only a very specific design.

Maille Code

Posted on Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:31 pm

boudica, would you mind showing us the image that was removed?

my problem with this, legba, is that you have 8 of them.. this starts a slippery slope of people filing copyrights on every design they can think of, and maille becomes a proprietary thing, not an art to explore freely. we have worked very hard to fight against this mindset.

your copyrights have no value, to me.

Posted on Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:11 pm

Legba3 wrote:
Maybe your design was close enough for them to take notice.

So, is the publisher acting on your behalf to go after a 'specific design' or 'close enough' designs? Where is this copyright published? Would you care to tell the rest of the community what your copyrights specifically cover, or do you not mind random maillers getting sideswiped? Did you do full research on prior art of 'length of stepping stones on a 2-2 chain'?

Terrible decision is terrible, regardless of your motivations for making it.

-phong

Posted on Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:22 pm

Phong wrote:
Did you do full research on prior art of 'length of stepping stones on a 2-2 chain'?

not just stepping stones, but all j6, j4, j3 constructions..

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 13. Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next