Texas Maillers
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Group Projects

Submissions: 0

Texas Maillers
Posted on Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:06 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

im located in austin texas and would love to get together with some fellow maillers... lemme know if ur in the area. Smile

Submissions: 3

Posted on Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:00 am

well... im just about as far away as i can get lol

Submissions: 6

Posted on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:17 pm

I'm in Austin, as is Euar. I've met probably half a dozen other somewhat seriously maillers here, that as far as I know aren't really involved in any forums. But Austin is definitely a good city for maillers.

A meetup isn't a bad idea. Coif Smiley Would be a great way to inspire each other, and share ideas. What did you have in mind?

And, welcome to MAIL! Smile

-Deborah

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:09 am

Thats awesome. I just moved to austin a few months ago, so im fairly new to the area. A meet would be awesome and a good opportunity to make friends in the area.

Posted on Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:14 pm

I think that's a great idea.
Anyone have any ideas on where or when ?

2bits; I am on the N end , B.B. Rovers is open air / tons of space, but it is alot north, off 183 on old jollyville road

Submissions: 24

Posted on Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:12 am

A meeting for the maillers of Austin would be interesting, maybe somewhere in Zilker park?

-Just remember, if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

-Never take life too seriosly. No one ever gets out alive, anyway.

--Omne Ignotum Pro Magnifico

-- If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Posted on Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:06 am

I would prefer a restaurant over a park, personally. Better working areas.. I work with tiny stuff, so if I'm going to bring any show-and-tell, I'd prefer something a bit more kind to tiny silver jumprings than a park. Smile

I'm in south/central Austin, but going as far as 183 and jollyville shouldn't be that bad. We definitely need someplace with space that wouldn't mind us chilling for a bit.

What do y'all think?

-Deborah

Submissions: 16

Posted on Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:20 pm

is your name 'shaggy'?

Posted on Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:58 pm

How does Oct 15 -a friday- sound ? .. say.. 7pmish ?
Just a general idea if you got a better one or just cant make it .. shout it out and lets see what we can do .. and if your in the N-C Austin area and need a lift I can see about helping with that as well.

Posted on Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:10 pm

So, the 15th *was* perfectly fine, but now something's come up (go figure). I was kinda hoping somebody else would reply with input too.. I'm not sure if everybody's receiving e-mail notifications when a reply is posted here or not.

At any rate, should I get everybody's e-mails and maybe we can coordinate through Reply All conversations? That way we know everybody got the message. What do y'all think? Smile

-Deborah

Posted on Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:02 pm

I cannot express how much I hate driving in Austin. If it wasn't too far, I would say meet in San Antonio. It's friendlier traffic-wise. Wink

Since no one responded to the meeting idea in Oct, I'm assuming it didn't happen?

For meeting places, a restaurant is a lot more mailler-friendly for those with small rings. From my experience with the Scikotics car club, most informal restaurants are usually fine with large groups of people coming in and staying a while. When we first started going to meetings several years ago, we met at EZ's at the Quarry Market. After a while though we started meeting at Jason's Deli off 410 by North Park Mall. With a car club, you often have people with some pretty interesting cars, and more than once a night at a meeting we would have people come up and ask questions either about the cars or how to join the club. At least one of those people would also eat something at the restaurant, so it's good business both ways.

Call a manager of a casual restaurant (there are plenty in Austin) and see if they would be willing to let a group of maillers come in and take up residence for a while once a month or so. As long as y'all are buying something there (hey, everybody needs something to drink) they shouldn't really have a problem with it. All it would take is one person making a coif or hauberk or some other large scale maille item and you would generate interest in the craft just by sitting there and making it. There may even be a nice enough manager out there that will allow an impromptu jewelry show and the artists that meet up can make some sales. *shrugs*

I for one really would like to have some sort of meet come together. I can deal with going to Austin if there's something that interests me. Maille interests me. And my brother-in-law lives there, so we would have an excuse to go visit him. Albeit, he may have to drive me to the meet... Smile

Just a thought...

Submissions: 24

Posted on Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:38 am

Well, seeing how the last post on this topic was almost 2 months ago, I say we try to revive the idea, seeing how this time of year people tend to not be tied up with work/school as much.

As for where/when, I'd say between now and new year's, before everything starts up again, maybe in the food court of a mall, since there's plenty of indoor space, and we probably won't be bothered that much. Highland mall could work, it's central-ish and shouldn't be too much of a pain for anyone to get to. Coif Smiley

-Just remember, if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

-Never take life too seriosly. No one ever gets out alive, anyway.

--Omne Ignotum Pro Magnifico

-- If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Posted on Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:43 am

I work retail, so this time of the year is super busy for me. A food court at a mall sounds like a good idea, though. Smile Highland mall works for me.

-Deborah

Posted on Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:28 am

Anything would work for me, as long as it's on a weekend. If it's Austin, though, I need to know enough ahead of time to know if my husband can go. Like I said, I hate driving in/near/around Austin, and considering what I've heard they're going to be charging to drive on that new tollway, no thank you to that. Mostly though, if the hubs can't get there the BIL can. And a food court sounds great. Smile

Edit: I'm actually outside SA now, so I'm an hour and a half away from Austin in the best of traffic. Needless to say, this would be an all day trip for me.

Submissions: 4

Posted on Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:02 am

VikingJones wrote:
Like I said, I hate driving in/near/around Austin, and considering what I've heard they're going to be charging to drive on that new tollway, no thank you to that.

Actually I LOVE the toll road... it isn't much of a charge when you consider how much time you save driving on it... and if you don't have any change or anything on you they just bill you by mail.

Anywho.... I'm guessing a Saturday is what works best for most people?

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 3. Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next