Ring Size Chart in Weaves
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> M.A.I.L. Help

Submissions: 20

Ring Size Chart in Weaves
Posted on Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:15 am || Last edited by Daemon_Lotos on Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

Okay, this is a 'help, I'm confused' post regarding the new Ring Size Chart feature available in the Weave Library (and hopefully, soon, further across the site.)

First off, for those of you who aren't aware of this feature...

1. Make sure you have Javascript Enabled (Sorry all your Firefox folks that love to run with NoJS enabled, but FireFox doesn't support Newlines in 'Tooltips' like IE does, so I had no choice but to go JavaScript here.)
2. Go to a weave entry... Any weave entry...
3. Hover over any of the AR's in the "Weave Data" box under the picture.
4. Voila, a popup of Ring Sizes closest to that AR

Now, since this is a new feature, I had to set a default...
The default settings are:
AWG in Fractional Inches, with Medium Accuracy.
You can change all this in your MyMAIL under User Preferences.

Current Options

Wire Size
-American Wire Gauge/Brown & Sharpe
-Standard Wire Gauge
-Metric Wire (In .2mm Increments)
-Mixed Gauge
-----------------------------------------
Edit: As of February 13, 2011, the following options have been added:
AWG, SWG & Mixed Gauge are now available in their native Gauge System, OR in Decimal Inches OR in mm.
Some people's heads just work better in one system than another, and I'm making an effort to accomodate this.

*'Mixed Gauge' is important... If you buy from The Ring Lord, MetalDesignz, or possibly others, you need to select this.
*UrbanMaille, Golden Maille and ChainWeavers all use American Wire Gauge

Ring ID
-Fractional Inches (IE: 5/32")
-Decimal Inches (To four decimal places)
-Metric (mm)
-BlueBuddha Boutique
-SpiderChain

*BlueBuddha Boutique uses a unique measuring system which I've included for their customers to use... See: Here for info. (Selecting BlueBuddha will tell the site to use 'Mixed Gauge' regardless of the Gauge Option you select... I am aware that this does not work for their Sterling Silver, they offer a conversion chart, but it's on my list.)
*SpiderChain uses a unique measuring system which I've included for their customers to use... See: Here for info. (Selecting SpiderChain will tell the site to use 'AWG' regardless of the Gauge Option you select)
*kodiak provided me with a Chart for his mandrel sets tonight, you will soon be able to select this as an ID system...
*UrbanMaille, Golden Maille and ChainWeavers all use mm as their ID system.

Accuracy
-Low - 32nds of an Inch and Whole mm
-Med - 64ths of an Inch and .5mm
-High - 128ths of an Inch and .25mm

*If you purchase your rings from TRL or MetalDesignz, use Med
*If you purchase your rings from UrbanMaille, Golden Maille or ChainWeavers, use High
*This setting will not be used if you select BlueBuddha or SpiderChain for your ID selection

Hopefully this helps instead of confuses!

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 294

Posted on Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:52 am

I found this really easy to use DL and I can be pretty dense about such things so You've done a fantastic job. Have another cookie

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 73

Posted on Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:08 pm

DL, I lurves you. I lurves you so much.

-phong

Submissions: 79

Posted on Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:07 pm

if we are going to be specifically listing ring suppliers, how do ring suppliers go about getting on this list?

while this information is useful to members, this seems a little bit like "endorsement" to me. i am a little uneasy about endorsement.

ease my mind.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 73

Posted on Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:15 pm

sakredchao wrote:
if we are going to be specifically listing ring suppliers, how do ring suppliers go about getting on this list?

while this information is useful to members, this seems a little bit like "endorsement" to me. i am a little uneasy about endorsement.

ease my mind.

They'd get on the list by using nonstandard/obnoxious designations for their ring sizes. Crying (very sad)

Not something I'd want to encourage necessarily, but when it's done anyway it's useful to include them in something like this.

-phong

Posted on Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:32 pm

Phong wrote:

They'd get on the list by using nonstandard/obnoxious designations for their ring sizes. Crying (very sad)

Not something I'd want to encourage necessarily, but when it's done anyway it's useful to include them in something like this.

-phong

Laughing agreed but still Laughing I find some of the ways companies size their rings horribly confusing.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 95

Posted on Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:21 pm || Last edited by Nárrína on Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fantastic work, Lotos!

One thought, perhaps B & S (Brown and Sharpe) should be mentioned alongside AWG as an a.k.a for it. I've seen this one used in a lot of jewelry/metalsmithing books (most of the ones I've looked at actually; both old and new books) and it took me a bit to realize that it was the same as AWG and not yet another wire gauge system. Just a thought.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Deviant Art
Handmaden Designs LLC Facebook
Handmade Artists Shop
https://twitter.com/HandmadenDesign
http://pinterest.com/handmadendesign/
http://handmadendesigns.com

Posted on Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:40 pm || Last edited by Daemon_Lotos on Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

sakredchao wrote:

ease my mind.

It's not endorsement when you try and make the list comprehensive Smile
Also, I shop at next-to-zero of these places Razz So really...

BB and SpiderChain are included because they're so plain weird in terms of sizing... I wanted their customers to feel at home here... Not send people to them.
Let's face it, nobody likes pouring over a mound of 'conversion charts'... Trust me on this Coif LoL

In regards to a supplier being included... I made an attempt to include 'all the majors' as it were... But I'm sure I've missed a bunch... Someone point them out to me Very Happy

Useful Links

Posted on Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:00 pm

OK you've missed out our very own Kodiak Charlie's Chaincraft
C&T Designs
ChainWeavers

There's bound to be more tho

Maille Code

Posted on Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:03 pm || Last edited by Daemon_Lotos on Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Legba3 wrote:
OK you've missed out our very own Kodiak Charlie's Chaincraft
C&T Designs
ChainWeavers

There's bound to be more tho

-C&T Is still on my list, I'm not sure what to do with them, simply because they chop and change between gauges... Their customers may need to just change the gauge in their MyMAIL as they deem nessecary.
-kodiak sent me the list of his mandrel set the other day, they will be included for completion of people who own one.
-ChainWeavers is already in the list alongside GoldenMaille and Urbanmaille... (They all use AWG in mm, no need for a special category)

Useful Links

Posted on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:34 pm

Sorry DL I missed that.

Maille Code

Posted on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:58 pm

Legba3 wrote:
Sorry DL I missed that.

It's all good Smile

Useful Links

But, but, but...I use Decimal Inches
Posted on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:02 pm

I hate to be a pain, but I actually prefer to use DECIMAL INCHES for wire sizes (0.063" instead of 16swg, for example). I just never feel completely sure what I am dealing with anytime I see a gauge system.

Decimal millimeters are good, and I'd like to use more metric. But I use primarily stainless welding wire and it is all in decimal inch sizes, and that is not going to change.

I would imagine others have the same issue. This is a fantastic addition and I am glad to see it implemented!

Re: But, but, but...I use Decimal Inches
Posted on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:37 pm

Pfeiffer wrote:
I hate to be a pain, but I actually prefer to use DECIMAL INCHES for wire sizes (0.063" instead of 16swg, for example). I just never feel completely sure what I am dealing with anytime I see a gauge system.

Decimal millimeters are good, and I'd like to use more metric. But I use primarily stainless welding wire and it is all in decimal inch sizes, and that is not going to change.

I would imagine others have the same issue. This is a fantastic addition and I am glad to see it implemented!

I also use a LOT of welding wire, and you'll find almost all of it is measured in nominal SWG or AWG sizes. (IE: .048" = 18g SWG / .0508" = 18g AWG)
AWG Also has a 'Metric' version... (1.024mm = 18g AWG) This is coming as well.

I believe all Stainless Steel welding wire is measured in SWG Decimal Inches, but I could be wrong with the 'all' factor... I am 'north-of-the-border' after all.

The big issue, is that without knowing exactly which Gauge System the wire is trying to be (AWG or SWG) the decimal inches will never match up to what the user can buy, unless the user knows what system the wire is...

I'm planning to impliment this, but the user will still need to know if the wire they have purchased is AWG or SWG in decimal inches.

Also, nobody on this site is EVER a pain when they ask for things Smile That's what I'm here for, the make this site more user friendly, for you, the membership.

Useful Links

Submissions: 79

Posted on Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:13 am

c&t tries to make their 1/4" rings .250" actual id, after springback and cutting.

i met both c and t. they were cool. they have a snake.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 3. Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next