content policy in 3.0
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> League Business

Submissions: 79

content policy in 3.0
Posted on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:15 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

"I hereby grant Maille Artisans International League rights of publication of my work on the M.A.I.L. site. In cases of re-publication, the aforementioned M.A.I.L. must recieve my prior permission and in said re-publication provide me with credit for my work.

I further understand that as the owner of such material it is my right to have it removed from the MAIL site for any reason."

this is our current content policy. what would people like to see with 3.0?

would you like to be able to donate a weave or article to MAIL? would you like to be able to allow people to create a MAIL brochure with your gallery image?

there has been interest expressed in allowing members to choose to publish their submissions under a "creative commons license".

http://creativecommons.org/

and their list of things to think about:
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Before_Licensing

there could also be a license developed that allowed for collaborative content within the MAIL site.

we could have multiple licenses and allow members to choose which license each submission was made under, there would be no need to make a single choice for all submissions.

the major hurdle to overcome with altering the content policy is: it is a part of our charter. it takes a largescale participation of the membership in a vote to do it. i think it's possible, but only if enough people are interested in making the change.

what would you like to see done with this in 3.0?

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:54 pm

I would love to see a creative commons licensing option available on MAIL.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 50

Posted on Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:49 pm

Currently, my biggest gripe is the weaves. I think the weave submissions should be editable by the community, and should be M.A.I.L. property, such as it can be. I don't know if that would discourage some people from submitting weaves or not, but that's currently my opinion. Articles, gallery submissions, yeah, give people a choice on how they license their work there.

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Submissions: 20

Posted on Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:02 pm

*BUMP*

Would love to get more comments on this... Recent 'image usage' threads being somewhat 'Content Policy' related...
(As in, we need one, in order to handle this stuff properly)

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 3

Posted on Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:38 am

I'd like to see folks having a choice of CC Licensing when submitting. Public Domain, semi or fully restricted etc.....check the box, submit with © info.

Kodiak-

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong". -H.L. Menken
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." -Dorothy Parker
Chaincraft Mandrels

Submissions: 57

Posted on Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:15 am

I personally don't have a problem, as long as submitting members have the option , not to fall under the CC, and that previously submitted material does not automatically fall under CC.

Submissions: 294

Posted on Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:36 am

Options are good, any of the suggested above including the current content policy as long as the choice remains with the submitter.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 95

Posted on Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:29 pm

oneringshortofafullcoil wrote:
I personally don't have a problem, as long as submitting members have the option , not to fall under the CC, and that previously submitted material does not automatically fall under CC.

I'm of the same opinion. I don't have a problem with CC being an option for submitters to choose for their own submissions, but there also needs to be an option to choose not to have your submissions under CC. I, personally, am not entirely comfortable with having my submissions under CC, and I certainly would not be comfortable with not having a choice to opt out of it.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Deviant Art
Handmaden Designs LLC Facebook
Handmade Artists Shop
https://twitter.com/HandmadenDesign
http://pinterest.com/handmadendesign/
http://handmadendesigns.com

Submissions: 243

Posted on Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:36 pm

I'm curious about what exactly the problems are that people perceive with the CC licensing?

http://www.mailletec.com

Y'know, that might just be crazy enough to work!

Submissions: 79

Posted on Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:44 pm

lorenzo wrote:
I'm curious about what exactly the problems are that people perceive with the CC licensing?

if it only included MAIL, i'd be all for CC.. i'm all about MAIL collaboration for some of my work, but i don't want my stuff showing up on another site.

some of my work i would only want people i that i thought qualified to change what i wrote.. i want to have some control over what happens to the stuff i put on this site.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Posted on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:37 pm

Nárrína wrote:
oneringshortofafullcoil wrote:

I'm of the same opinion. I don't have a problem with CC being an option for submitters to choose for their own submissions, but there also needs to be an option to choose not to have your submissions under CC. I, personally, am not entirely comfortable with having my submissions under CC, and I certainly would not be comfortable with not having a choice to opt out of it.

I don't think I've read anything about forcing people to choose CC licensing in any of the posts where it has been discussed. It's always been suggested as an option as far as I can tell.

And it is not even possible for previously submitted material to "automatically fall under CC". The copyright holder and only the copyright holder can opt to license under Creative Commons.

This is the full version of their FAQ. I highly recommend reading it.
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions

Lorraine's Chains

Posted on Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:47 pm

I am not saying anyone did mention mandatory CC, I am just clearly stating my position on the whole Idea of a CC of the submissions, I would not want my photos put with other text of vice versa, and or editable by others, personally, it is clear to me some other members would like and or be interested in this possibility, I am not opposed to others participating in this as long as it does not include my content, that is my right, I have read the FAQ and the history of copyright is ripe with violators ( I am in no way stating these are the intentions of M.A.I.L.) I am merely stating my position on the subject as a whole, as I felt we were asked at the beginning of the thread.
I apologize if I was unclear or misinterpreted. Smile

Posted on Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:28 am

Well, now I'm really confused. I don't understand what "editable by others" has to do with a discussion on Creative Commons Licensing. Are people lumping wikis and CC licenses together thinking they are somehow a package deal? Confused

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 73

Posted on Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:25 am

Perhaps it would be beneficial for interested parties to RTFA regarding CC licenses. There are a lot of un- and mis-informed people out there, so learning exactly what is and is not the case would be highly beneficial.

If there are specific concerns with specific licenses, I have every confidence we can work to fix them.

-phong

Posted on Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:18 am

No you misunderstand me, among some of the things mentioned above, is for example ,that perhaps I would like to allow another member to make a M.A.I.L. brochure with my photo on it , the answer is, no I would not, I do not wish to authorize allow others to use and reproduce my submissions , without my express and written consent , if others would, I do not wish to, and as a matter of fact cannot, stop them from doing so, I have given consent for M.A.I.L. to use my submission (by defacto in the submission process) in this format, if M.A.I.L. or any other person/entity would like to reproduce my materials they may contact me and ask permission to do so. I will deal with those requests on a case by case basis.

Certain type of CC liscenses allow for non carbon copies, which by its very nature would allow others to edit my content at will.I would like to retain those rights to my work

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 3. Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next