My Turk's Heads
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Wire Arts

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:00 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

wow those new pics are totally great

if i had one of those i even could put away my rule to wear only "the one" ring Wink

i especially like the middle and the right ring from the last pic

in my opinion the ones with twisted wire look too complex distracting the eye a bit to much

Submissions: 28

Posted on Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:10 pm

Zerwas wrote:
wow those new pics are totally great

if i had one of those i even could put away my rule to wear only "the one" ring Wink

i especially like the middle and the right ring from the last pic

in my opinion the ones with twisted wire look too complex distracting the eye a bit to much

Thanks for the appreciation.

Regarding distraction - don't forget that they look like this on close inspection. When worn on a finger and seen from a distance some of this effect is lost, so they only appear... intricate for lack of a better word.

... adding ring upon ring, upon ring...

Submissions: 28

Posted on Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:53 am

Thread necro to show off new shinies.

Got married a month ago. The wedding rings were made by me and I'm very proud of how they came out.

Five lead, nine bight Turk's Heads, 18K white and yellow gold, all twisted. The rings are complementary: mine has the inner strand of white gold and outer strands are yellow gold, hers has them mirrored. The colors of the two alloys are pretty close - when seen in direct sunlight they are almost undistinguishable, however the difference is noticeable when you look at both rings at the same time. Her ring has a distinct yellow "tendency" to it, while mine is more towards white-ish. The strands clearly become visible when the light is not direct though. The contrast could be increased if the yellow alloy would have a more dark tone to it, but they came out just the way I wanted them. Together they weigh about 11 grams.
The white gold was much harder to work with, both when twisting and when tying the knot, due to it being much more springy, even when fully annealed.
I had to melt down and rework her ring a couple of times due to it being not quite as even as the perfectionist in me wanted it to be Very Happy

After the rings were done, cleaned in acid and tumbled for a good 24 hours or so, they still weren't quite _that_ shiny, so I took them to a professional jeweler. He then cleaned them using some cyanide bath of some sort (he called the process "engold" or somesuch), during which each of the rings lost about a quarter of a gram.

The pictures were taken by a professional photographer, since I felt they deserved that much, hence his logo.

Clicky for larger versions.

... adding ring upon ring, upon ring...

Submissions: 149

Posted on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:37 am

speechless...
...or maybe: Congrats, and good luck. Smile

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:40 pm

i hoped you would post the pics !

very cool

still love the design of your rings

oh and congratulations of course Wink

Posted on Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:50 pm

Beautiful work man