New rope weave
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 3

Posted on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:26 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

@Xzorby Yep, but I don't think we stand much of a chance against Brazil. We can only hope. Stekelenburg has got his work cut out for him with the samba football Smile

As for the round version, I added a few more sections to the teaser pic piece, and it is incontinueable Sad (see below)

It seems it's not an AR specific issue either, just the way the round technique works.. bummer..

Maybe I'll bump it up to quad (or uhm, 4 sided), just to see if this weave only works with even numbers around..

Anyway, for those interested, this is the teaser round version Unrounded. Looks like it's sheetable, but i find it ugly as hell..

I'm going to bed, nighty night and peace peeps!

A bracelet a day keeps rsi away

Submissions: 106

Posted on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:42 pm

I don't know... commando cord sounds like going without undies...
Max, I meant spiral more in terms of a mobius spiral, rather than a spiral spiral. Does that make sense?
Needless to say, I vote for Spirally Goodness. Very Happy
THAT'S IT! I'M OUT!

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 74

Posted on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:57 pm

no legba3 that don't make sence to me anyway..lol

camandno cord? na that don't sound right. just command cord

aye my Ar6 round petterd out too. trying flat/sheet next

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 337

Posted on Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:23 am

Saradamon wrote:
but look closer. the former of the 2 in the last pic seems to have that, but in the inverse direction

I think xzorby's pics show the difference better (with the tighter AR) but it's not just a case of reversing the direction of the spiral. The two are constructed differently.

As cjwj says here:
Quote:
I was kind of struggling to explain it purely pictorial, but yes, the ring you add simply must not be in plane (oriented similarly) with the one directly below it.

This is how I wove 'Rope' but with the spiral version you do add rings " in plane (oriented similarly) with the one directly below it."

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 8

Posted on Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:16 am

Stumbled across another variant.

And here's the three weaves/variants together.

Top: original weave, every new set of 4 rings is perpendicular to the last, which creates a "staggered tesselation".
Middle: variation where every new set of 4 rings is parallel to the last, which creates a uniformly spiralling pattern.
Bottom: new variation where you change between parrallel / perpendicular orientation all the time, which creates.. well.. something else. It's almost like it has two spirals; one right-handed and one left-handed, making X's where they cross.

You can make hundreds of different weaves by changing from parallel to perpendicular and back at different intervals.

Does it make any sense, what I'm saying? Razz

Submissions: 337

Posted on Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:31 am

Hey xzorby Laughing I was going to try that myself when I'd gotten around to cutting more rings. Looks great.

cjwj you've really started something here and the simple ones are always the best ones because they throw up so many possibilities.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Posted on Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:04 am

finaly got my camra out again. here are the pices i made the other day.

top one is tonight work playing with this weave. bit of a choker.

below the one i did to cjwj instructions and how i found his and mine were slightly diffrent. 16g 1/4

below is the same done looser 5/16 16g

bottom is my origanl pice ware i stubled on to this. same rings as above. i was working on making a fullpersain byz that was seamless to the revers and that is what i got. i think it is closer to xzorby's varent then to cjwjs. hard to tell because of the denceness of his.

( i need bettter lighting in here)

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Posted on Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:31 pm

Hey Legba Laughing I knew you would, that's why I wanted to post as quickly as possible to try to beat you to it! Very Happy

MaxumX, the bottom one in your pic indeed looks very similar to the one I did first. I can't tell for sure because it's so short, but I think they're the same weave.
And that choker looks nice! I was working on a very similar choker in 20ga but this weave takes a lot of rings..
What's the AR of the two middle ones? Is your 16ga wire AWG?

I still think "(Persian) rope" and "(Persian) spiral rope" sound good, but they might get mixed up with FP6-1 which is also a bit rope-like, and there is of course already Elven rope...

Posted on Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:20 pm

the rings are 0.062 WD x 0.313 ID little bigger then 5/16 with spring back. the 1/4 rings are actualy 0.257. and the choker is 0.032 WD x 0.160 ID

Posted on Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:18 pm

better pics of the Full Persain Byz variation.

close up: showing the interconnections a little better.

Longer and un regulated section. if you look i reversed the connection in a few places on accident. have to keep an eye on that when weaving this variation.

you could also do this with box.

Submissions: 0

new weave by cjwj
Posted on Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:08 am

I love this weave! However it wasn't as simple as everyone made it out to be. Being lefthanded and learning disabled it took me several restarts and a cheat-sheet to figure out which way to orient the chains. But I finally got it, as well as it's variations. Thank you for a great weave.

For my two cents, I think the original looks more like a braid, while the twisting variation looks like the human genome, so how about Maille Genome as it's name.

Larka

Posted on Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:22 am

Larka: genome not bad. in the tighter variations of the weave i can see what you mean.

simplisty is relitive. each person finds diffrent things easy and others hard. so we expect to have people that have truble, thats what we are here for. you have trubble just ask we're here to help, well some of us are..Razz i'm here to be a pian in the rests butt...Very Happy jk

speeking of helping you lads/lasses, you want me to make a CGI tut for these? now that i got my new comp all set up im good to good again. just need to remake the listings.

Submissions: 5

Posted on Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:32 am

Yes please on the CGI and a final name to go with it would be well appreciated.

Posted on Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 pm

Late to the party again! Sad

Very cool! I'm going to give it a shot tonight!
For names, if it has not already been decided I have 4 suggestions, all based on Byzantine history, since the original weave started that way:

Ottoman chain - The Ottoman Empire rose from the ashes of the Byzantine Empire

Prior to rise of the Ottomans, the Byzantine Empire had separated into 3 basic states/empires
Nicaean Empire
Despotate of Epirus
Empire of Trebizond

So "Nicean Chain", Epirus Chain, or Trebizond are the other 3. Substitute "rope" or "braid" for "chain" at your discretion, of course.

Any of these I think would be fitting names that also sound cool. Smile
The only one I'm not sure of is Trebizond. It makes it seem like there should be a theme of 3s in the weave, which there really aren't. Of course, everyone is cranking out variations, so you might want more than one name, anyway.

Dang it! I wish I wasn't at my day job! I want to try it now! Very Happy

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:15 pm

Peeps, I am dumbfounded by the sheer awesomeness presented. Everyone is diving on this weave like madmen (and madwomen Very Happy )

Legba3 does a stunning piece, now Lorraine shows her prowess, MaxumX and xzorby are kicking it big time on the variations and the explaining part, it's all so cool. Didn't expect this weave to be taken up by the community this fast.

I think it's a safe bet to say that the weave will be named "spirally goodness" from now on. That just leaves the variations, but there's so many of them, it's probably better to give them a sub-name when they are discovered, rather then try and name 'em all here. I'll leave the naming of sub's up to the ones who posted the variation.

Peace peeps, need to run again.

A bracelet a day keeps rsi away

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 5. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next