New rope weave
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 8

Posted on Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:11 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I followed your tutorial with a measured AR of about 4.54, and got a nice spiral stick. Razz Anything smaller would probably be impossible without rings opening. I'm not sure if it's the same weave though; it does look a bit different from the one you made with those square wire rings!

Submissions: 337

Posted on Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:05 pm

That looks great (even if it is something different, in fact if it is please submit it when Weaves is up and running), I must try this.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 4

Posted on Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:12 pm

zxorby: it looks to me almost like the opposing spin to the original. looking at a few places and how the rings intersect, they appear in the opposing rotation.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:47 pm

I cannot figure it out from the tutorial. I got the first unit, but then it says that you have to do something different and I can't figure out what it is.

Submissions: 337

Posted on Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:10 pm

I've made both (I think) and I believe the difference is this.

The green dots show the rings which you add the next ring to for the original 'Rope' weave, the pink dots show the rings which you add another ring to for the 'Spiral Rope' weave. The blue dots show the different position of the preceding rings which makes the difference in the weave.

You can see the kinda candy cane twist in the pattern on the second one which isn't present in the first.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Posted on Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:38 pm

but look closer. the former of the 2 in the last pic seems to have that, but in the inverse direction

Posted on Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:47 pm

Spirally goodness!

Everyone in favor of naming this "Spirally goodness by MaxumX and cjwj"?

Wow legba3, you got the technique down pretty fast! Couldn't have explained it better myself. I was kind of struggling to explain it purely pictorial, but yes, the ring you add simply must not be in plane (oriented similarly) with the one directly below it.

It could be cool to make a hella lot of variations on this though, like;
-Use the "do not want" orientation, and pull the ring through that ring too. WOuld make the weave an 8 in 1 weave, without substantially chunking it up. Loss of flexibility is ineviteable though, but thats just guesswork on my part.
-Alternate between in plane (do want), and out of plane (do not want) for every other section.
-Big AR moebius every ring 1/2/3 times, for great chunky justice Smile

Heck, I have so many variations on a theme lined up, it's too versatile a weave Coif LoL

Xzorby, I think you made something entirely different, but I can't quite "see what you did there". I can't help but notice that what you made has a lot of rings sticking sideways into the center, when the weave itself has the rings oriented somewhat stacked flat along the length of the weave. Looks hella cool though! Make a tut Wink

Anyway, thanks everybody for contributing comments and posting awesome pictures, this kind of activity is great!

I'm going to try something with this. If it works I'll post more awesome pictures ofcourse Smile I'm thinking in terms of "box chain < roundmaille < infinite" as a starter for the rope. That'll surely chunk it up big time! Needlenose Pliers If this works, I can try and "un-round" it, and maybe a sheet appears. <stoked>

Peace peeps!

A bracelet a day keeps rsi away

Posted on Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:15 pm

Thanks Legba, that's very clear. I pretty sure you did the colours the wrong way round though! The pink dots gave me the original weave.

Here's another picture of the two different weaves / variants.

The original one (bottom in my pic, top in Legba's) is smaller in diameter and slightly less stiff with the same rings. An AR of ~4.5 (what I used) is still too stiff for anything but sculpture though.

cjwj - it's essentially the same weave, but 'done wrong'; see Legba's pictures.

Saradamon - the direction doesn't matter. You can do both weaves/variants in two directions, like (all?) other spiral weaves.

As for names, I vote for what Legba said; "Rope" and "Spiral Rope" sounds nice!

Posted on Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:48 pm

I'll just leave this here Wink I'm just waiting to hear lorraine scream "Ok, I'm out" (kidding Wink )

Anyway, this is the round variant (uhm, definitions are getting blurrier..)

Also, looking at the bottom pictures, yes this thing is a pita to keep under control, so that's why my wrist tendons are that uhm, tensed up..

Peace peeps!

Submissions: 74

Posted on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:00 pm

sprialy goodness..lol no need to toss my name on there cjwj.

the weave dose not really spiral so much as it is a staggerd tessilation. it rotates `45 then bac each sectioin down the chain. this makes a tight spiral in appracnce that can be visulized going ither direction.

the diffrance in the variation you made up there. is that yo did not do the stagger that the weave needs to compact it self. and making it spital in a uniform direction. in short u go thru the same ring set fir every section in stead of swithing from left to right each time. in dooing that you can if you wished to combine the to staggation patterns to make is snake down the chain. like doing l3-r3-l3-r3 type pattern...

*gose off to get camera* need vishuals

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Posted on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:05 pm

MaxumX wrote:
the weave dose not really spiral so much as it is a staggerd tessilation

"Staggered tessilationy goodness" hardly rolls off the tongue. "Tessilating Rope" maybe?

Submissions: 74

Posted on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:07 pm

lol..no i guess it don't roll off.

command cord? almost looks like the old ropes the used for military ranks.

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Posted on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:14 pm || Last edited by cjwj on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Command cord sounds good too!

I'll edit the starting post to include possible names.

Anyone tried the round variation yet? <mad>

Peace peeps!

Posted on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:19 pm

Why not just 'rope'? It really looks and feels like a piece of rope.

MaxumX - I think I understand the staggered tesselation in the original weave, but I'm not sure I understand what you said about the variation. IIRC, the only difference is that the orientation to the previous section is different (parallel instead of perpendicular, see Legba's two pics with coloured dots). If that's what you mean with switching directions / not switching, then I think I understand.

Offtopic: is that a Beesie in the background, cjwj?

Posted on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:20 pm

MaxumX wrote:
command cord? almost looks like the old ropes the used for military ranks.

Command Cord? Or, Commando Cord?

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 5. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next