New rope weave
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 3

New rope weave
Posted on Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:40 pm || Last edited by cjwj on Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hello peeps,

Wow, it's been a while Coif LoL

Best be getting to the matter at hand. I think I stumbled on one of those "too easy, I overlooked it" Weaves. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves (clicky is bigger)

Naming the weave; Contestants are:
-cjwj's "New rope weave" Laughing
-MaxumX's "Command Cord", "Twisted Full Persian", "Persian Rope"
-Lorraine's "Spirally Goodness"
-Xzorby's "Spiral Stick"
-Legba3's variant "Candy Cane Twist(er?)", "(Spiral) Rope"
-Vorondil's "Staggered tessilationy goodness", "Tessilating Rope"
-etc

And the winner is: "(Alternating / Spirally) Candy Cane Cord", or "CCC" partly because it's got that "Joyfull, christmassy, jolly, get together" feeling all over it, which I find is very appropriate (considering how many people have participated with pictures, variations, finding technical details, etc), and because it is nicely abbreviatable.

I think Lorraine, Legba3, and MaxumX all deserve to have a part of the name (considering Legba3 did great "commercially viable" pieces in stainless, Lorraine did her graduating magic with a stunning pendant, MaxumX being the first who discovered it, did great work on the tech behind it all, and did a great piece in brass(?))

Weave is submitted! Thanks everyone for helping out and starting something beautyfull!

Peace Peeps!

A bracelet a day keeps rsi away

Posted on Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:50 pm

Looks cool. What are you calling it??? Confused

Submissions: 337

Posted on Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:56 pm

Interesting, don't think I've seen that before. Make sure you submit it when Weaves is back up.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:33 pm

Tell us more about how it is constructed, please.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 4

Posted on Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:55 pm

I might just be seing things, but it looks almost like a cross between box chain and jpl... like a doubled jpl or something...

Posted on Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:39 pm

Give me me 15 minutes to get some rings and set up some pictures.

I kid you not, this weave is so ridiculously easy, fast weaveable, and AR friendly, that it shouldn't be this beautifull.

Peace peeps, see you in 15. I'm aiming for a mini tut in 10 pictures or so?

That'll be one for the record books Wink

Posted on Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:48 pm

Ooh! Thanks! Very Happy

Lorraine's Chains

Posted on Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:01 pm

Ding Dong!

Linky takes you to my all public photobucket, just click the "next button" there to advance steps. There's 9 steps in all, with two (10 and 11) clarifying pictures to get the weave you want, or a variant if you switch the "Want" / "Do not Want" pictures around.
http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l87/pipodeclown1/My%20Maille/tuts/unknown%20rope%20weave/?action=view&current=pic1.jpg
Wow, im almost spending more time wrestling with the bbcode URL tag than I spent on the tut Coif LoL Ah heck, copy paste link into address bar, press <enter> voila..

Ok, gotta run, got myself a longboard meeting.

Peace peeps!

Posted on Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:16 pm || Last edited by lorraine on Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

I love it! Thank you for the tut. Quite honestly, I would not have figured the weave out without it. Very Happy

Edit: Forgot to say... an AR of 5 is really nice for this weave.

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 4

Posted on Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:26 pm

lorraine wrote:
I love it! Thank you for the tut. Quite honestly, I would not have figured the weave out without it. Very Happy

I agree. Looking at the picture, I thought it might be some sort of cross between full persian and JPL. I never would have guessed it started with byzantine.

Submissions: 74

Posted on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:52 pm

i ran into this weave about two days ago. nice to see im not the only one.

i made mine from 16swg 1/4 id and it is as tight as you can go with this weave b4 it is solid. and a balive would be solid if not for the spring back.

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Posted on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:19 pm

Hey peeps, I just got back from longboarding, and it was a great run. I've got another 20 kilometres in my feet, and it feels good!

I agree, an AR of 5 is perfect for this weave. I made the tut with some leftover titanium ID 6.1 / WD 1.2, which makes for an AR of 5.08. The openingpost necklace was made with square stainless ID 6.7 / WD 1.3 which makes for an AR of 5.15, so wow, you're spot on lorraine Uber Still it is possible to go lower, but I haven't had a chance / time to check what the minimum AR requirements are.

I'm guessing the lower end would lie somewhere at AR 4.4, because this weave does a really good job of packing the rings together (pretty much all persian connections), while still maintaining a hollow core and good flexibility.

The weave itself is a pretty odd thing, now that I take a closer look at it. It's a 6 in 1 weave, which is pretty odd, considering it originated from a piece of byzantine (also, it could be started from a piece of box chain just as well)

As for naming the weave, honestly I have no clue. So hit me up with ideas in this thread, and we'll make something good out of this thingy Laughing

Going to bed now! Wink

Peace peeps Coif Cool Smiley

Submissions: 74

Posted on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:32 pm

I have a AR of 4.5 and are nearly solid. 4 prolly going to max it out for the small AR side.

name umm? how about somthing like twisted full persain. or full persain rope? up to you cjwj i can only think of technical names here.,,lol

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 8

Posted on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm

That's looks like a great weave. Also, cool background Razz

Thanks for the tutorial, I'm certainly going to try to learn that!

Posted on Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:36 am

Yeah, I bumped the AR down to 4.6. It's pretty tight. Might curve enough for a bracelet though.

Seems predominantly Spiral to me. Mmmm, spirally goodness...

Lorraine's Chains

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 5. Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next