TRL Stamped "rings"?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: -1

TRL Stamped "rings"?
Posted on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:33 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

So, I felt adventurous on my last supply order [as I had a good deal of money saved up] and figured I'd experiment with The Ring Lord's recycled scale stamp..cut-out.."rings"...So I bought 4500 of them. Right now, My only idea of what to do with them is make some window "blinds" obviously, because they have large holes in them, they won't completely shade you from sunlight, more just as a decoration.

Anyway...The dilemma I am having, is I don't have the slightest idea how to go about making these "blinds" and was looking for suggestions! If any of you clever people out there have a good idea, I'd love to hear it!

P.S. if you are unfamiliar with these stamped rings, here is a picture:

The best things in this world are still made by hand.

www.facebook.com/JohnsChains
www.etsy.com/shop/JohnsChains

Submissions: 4

Posted on Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:54 pm

I've been wanting to try using some of those, but have never been able to afford it as of yet. Like you, I was planning on making some sort of curtain or wall hanging. However, my intent was simply to use the pattern shown in the middle of your picture (the large blue patch of scale-rings). I've also played with the idea of using different colored "rings" to make a simple inlay. If you're interested in the inlay idea, you could plan it out using simple graph paper (since they're all squarish anyway). That's all I've got, though.

Posted on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:21 am

Yeah...I started with the simple Japanese pattern, but When you hold it up, the vertical edges overlap..and I'm not sure I like that. I was also considering just doing several vertical chains and just hanging them next to each other instead of the sheet pattern.

Posted on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:31 am

Have you tried using a larger ring to solve the overlapping issue? According to TRL, the horizontal connections should have an ID of at least 3/16".

Posted on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:33 am

Yup. I had to use 18 gauge 1/4" rings to make it so there was room so that they wouldn't overlap. But...It's like ,making 4 in 1 the "right way" it can be "stretched" laterally. I could always hang the stamped rings sideways, but it doesn't look very good.

Posted on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:36 am

When you say 4 in 1, are you referring to Japanese or European? Since these are Japanese-type connections, that reference would make more sense. However, does Japanese 4 in 1 stretch laterally?

Posted on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:38 am

yes, yes. European. Sorry. But, the overlapping with these causes the same effect with the Japanese weave and these stamped rings.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1