Stepping stones
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 337

Posted on Sun May 30, 2010 5:59 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Diesel it can be AR picky if you want it to look really wavy and neat. Too tight and it locks up and is a pain to weave, too loose and it looks messy. Best to try it and see.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:51 pm

I did it! It's looks so wavy and I'm very pleased at the way it turned out!
I used copper, 18ga 1/4, 20ga 1/8 and 20ga 7/64. Now the question is I want to put some 4mm Swarovski crystals in the centre of the 1/4 rings. How best to do it? Over both of the rings? Over just one ring? I do know how I'm going to position it, top to bottom. Any ideas.

Thanks once again for saving my butt Legba.

I bow down to you once again Master Mistress of Maille. Thanks everyone else for your input!!!

Diesel

Submissions: 149

Posted on Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:22 pm

Vorondil wrote:
@Zili, where exactly do logarithms come in here? If that is for determining wire diameter, I think most anyone would be better off with a simple table or a good pair of calipers (depending on whether or not the wire is already on hand).

Ah. I Just noticed your question: Logarithms come into the game, if you want to calculate AWG to decimal inch/mm or vice versa, instead of looking up at a table. The awg scale is a logarithmic one, using a relatively complex formula, but there were principally even values like 18.75awg possible (but that's not the purpose of gauges). With SWG, or industry rod sizes you HAVE to use tables, as both are nonlinear scales. You know now, why I dislike these scales?

Diesel wrote:
I did it! It's looks so wavy and I'm very pleased at the way it turned out!

Congrats. Do we see a photo, somewhen?

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 4

Posted on Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:51 pm

waaaaaaaaaait... AWG is calculated with logarithms?

i'm a math person and love it, but for some reason Logarithms are something i dont like...

and glad it worked out, Diesel

Posted on Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:43 pm

Saradamon wrote:
waaaaaaaaaait... AWG is calculated with logarithms?

i'm a math person and love it, but for some reason Logarithms are something i dont like...

I've never liked logarithms, but I dislike them slightly less after dealing with them yet again in my calc II class. As for AWG, how it is calculated matters less to us than what the actual thickness is. Table or no, the best bet is still a good pair of calipers.

Posted on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:02 am

too true.

and i'm not in calc yet. getting a few days of into to calc this week, though. heh... seems to strange from what i've heard to have done a review of algebra 1 and 2, geometry, and trig this year 1st semester then do pre-calc and stat 2nd semester, with the last week intro to calc XD

Submissions: 149

Posted on Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:59 am || Last edited by ZiLi on Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Well, logarithms belong to the most underrated (and most dreaded) discoveries made in mathematics. Used right, they allow doing many things in a much less complicated manner, as they allow to reduce complexity of many formulas by a whole level (by reduction multiplication/division to addition/subtraction). Nowadays, in the age of electronic devices with 'built-in logarithms' (be aware, that every computer stores floating-point numbers internally as logarithms and calculates with them!) many people think it would be omittable to deal with. But that is not the case; they are part of daily life - just hidden very often and used unknowing the fact...

In fact it's time to abandon gauges at all, if they are used as pseudo measuring system (what is also an ironic fact in 'imperial' countries - US that were the first ones to split from a large empire are now the most avid defenders of their often outdated and redundant measuring systems!) - it's time to concentrate on linear, decimal, factor-convertible measuring systems that are unambiguous - whether inch or metric doesn't matter in the end.

Use calipers and linear units, and have an easy time dealing with them.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:29 am

Promise to show you what I have done so far as I haven't finsihed the bracelet but 3/4 of it. I just what to attach some bling to it,

thanks,
Diesel

Posted on Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:37 am

Vorondil wrote:
Diesel wrote:
I really really hate conversion stuff from mm to imperial or vice versa! I would rather eat a razor blade! LMAO!!

Diesel

It's not THAT bad. Especially when previous posters did the work in converting the numbers for you. As far as conversions go, I use this Unit Converter for most things I care to get a number for. No maths involved, just put in the number you have, select your units, and receive the number you want. This was very useful in my physics class last year. The links Legba gave look pretty useful too.

@Zili, where exactly do logarithms come in here? If that is for determining wire diameter, I think most anyone would be better off with a simple table or a good pair of calipers (depending on whether or not the wire is already on hand).

You can also try this unit converter

Submissions: 8

Chunky version for you although 9 years late
Posted on Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:16 am

Hey,
Ironic to find this page because I wanted to do the same, since I only work in 18swg and above usually. It's a slight variation because the medium size rings are triple instead of double. So here goes, Rings sizes are from "trl" 14 swg 5/16"=ar 4, 18swg 7/32"= ar 4.6, 18 swg 5/32"= ar 3.3! Don't forget to triple the 7/32's or you'll be bummed. Stepping Stones to walk on'

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2