M.A.I.L. issue polls.
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Admin Discussion

Submissions: 243

M.A.I.L. issue polls.
Posted on Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:53 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Both of the recent issue polls seem to be totally stalled out. We need a way to kickstart the membership to vote on them.

Maybe post them on the front page?

I notice that when I have a new PM and I visit the forum it shows me an annoying little pop-up alert box. Perhaps we could have a similar thing for voting?

http://www.mailletec.com

Y'know, that might just be crazy enough to work!

Submissions: 79

Posted on Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:22 am || Last edited by sakredchao on Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total

if we implement a similar pop-up box, it should be a one time thing offering members the -option- to receive notifications of issue polls and votes.. i like this idea, but do not think that people who don't want to participate in voting should be badgered about it. a mass PM would be enough to do this. can we spam PMs? first one goes to everyone, subsequent vote alerts go to people who opt in.. maybe have the default setting in mymail set to "alert about votes".

i'm not opposed to posting to the front page.. issue poll announcements should probably be removed when they are finished, or at the very least removed if it passes to a vote.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 26

Posted on Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:23 am

If the voting has trailed off, perhaps that means that all the active members who are interested in voting, have voted. In that case, we might as well close the polls with the current results. Or we wait and wait until the 'required number' have voted.

-phong

Posted on Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:17 am

It might mean that everyone with an interest in voting has done already, I'd just like to be absolutely sure that it does.

Posted on Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:54 am

i don't know.. i still think that an alert option is a good idea. i remember david austin coming in one day and saying, "why didn't anyone tell me about this?" i forget what issue it was in regard to.

i think we should leave the threads alone until the numbers are reached. they don't hurt anything.

Submissions: 93

Posted on Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:58 am

I don't know, I think this misses the point. The purpose of an issue poll is specifically so that the *non*-BOD membership can cause us to hold a vote we did not think was necessary. If they cannot get their movement to pass, it shouldn't be the BOD's job to help them along.

Now, an *approval* poll, on the other hand, which *definitely* affects the shape of the organization, I would see having a special notification for...

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

— George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Posted on Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:24 am

In light of the political conflicts between some of our members and volunteers lately I think it's in the best interests of MAIL to conduct our procedures in a manner that is above reproach.

As it stands these issues are held in limbo until a nebulous # of votes is reached. Not very encouraging, and it looks bad, like bureauocratic red tape or a catch-22. I would personally prefer the issues to be settled one way or another.

It seems to me that the only other recourse of the posting members to have their issues settled is to embark on an assertive campaign promoting the issue. It also seems to me that would likely just cause more board drama and hurt feelings. I'm not saying that we should promote the issue for them just that we should be sure that people who might want to vote on it, know about it.

I think the member participation is a good thing, let's not discourage it.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:57 am

It seems to me that the people who care to read about the polls read about the polls. The people who don't care about the polls... don't. The majority of the people who use this site only care about the information. Nothing wrong (or right) about that. Just the way it is. I honestly believe we could print a flashing red banner across the top of the front page instructing members to go vote, and there would be very little, if any, change in the number of votes. I don't think the BoD has done anything reproachable regarding the issue polls. And I certainly don't think the BoD has done anything to discourage member participation.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:42 pm

My underlying concern is that anyone who signs up to be a member can post an issue poll as often as they like, for as trivial reasons as they like. How long before folks start yelling about spam/obnoxious notifications, should someone try to abuse the system?

If a vote in the requests area and a sticky in the knitting circle don't get people's attention, what good will one more notification do?

In my opinion, we should just jump ahead and create a "M.A.I.L. Organization" Forum, and tell everyone to go look there for important issues regarding the league...

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

— George Bernard Shaw

Posted on Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:45 pm

Blaise wrote:

In my opinion, we should just jump ahead and create a "M.A.I.L. Organization" Forum, and tell everyone to go look there for important issues regarding the league...

i would be in favor of this.

some members don't get here very often.. giving people the chance to opt in to an issue poll or vote notification system might be a way for them to be involved even if they can't or don't visit regularly.

Submissions: 95

Posted on Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:24 pm

sakredchao wrote:
Blaise wrote:

i would be in favor of this.

some members don't get here very often.. giving people the chance to opt in to an issue poll or vote notification system might be a way for them to be involved even if they can't or don't visit regularly.

I would be in favor of this as well for the same reasons.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Deviant Art
Handmaden Designs LLC Facebook
Handmade Artists Shop
https://twitter.com/HandmadenDesign
http://pinterest.com/handmadendesign/
http://handmadendesigns.com

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sat May 01, 2010 2:31 am

I actually had another thought on this, as I found myself modifying a poll in Requests...

Should we possibly alter the vote system, so that 'Percentage of Active members OR Decent length of time, whichever occurs first' is the system of choice?

History goes to show that once a week or so has passed, and people have entered about 2 dozen votes the outcome is pretty much set...

This would clean up the issue of stalled votes entirely...

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Posted on Sat May 01, 2010 7:11 am

i think the charter says something like this.. i'll try to dig it up.

"An issue poll must be acted on by the B.O.D. when a significant portion of the currently active membership have participated in the poll. "

issue polls have no set %.

" A vote may have a time limit imposed by the B.O.D., and may be invalidated by the B.O.D. for lack of participation. Unless otherwise stated, a vote will be carried by a simple majority of those members who vote. "

we can impose time limits and invalidate votes for lack of participation.

i'm good with whatever is fair... we just have to establish it at the beginning of the vote, by the "unless otherwise stated" clause. i would perfer a 2 or 2.5 week time limit.. if 2.5, it should span 3 weekends.

Posted on Sat May 01, 2010 2:26 pm

Well, the notification thing is certainly a topic for further discussion, but in the meantime, I've created a "League Business" forum as an experiment. I'll move all the relevant threads I can find, and post an announcement in the knitting circle, so folks can see it.

Maybe it'll solve all our problems! (Or maybe I should be more realistic)

— George Bernard Shaw

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sat May 01, 2010 9:16 pm

I like the League Business room....if a member is inclined, they'll see the new post marker and check it out......still, I think every poll or vote should include a "no opinion" or " don't care" button.....it would/might give a better total of folks who at least read the issue put forth.

Kodiak-

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong". -H.L. Menken
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." -Dorothy Parker
Chaincraft Mandrels

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next