MAIL ISSUE POLL- Adding a History Forum
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> League Business

Should MAIL hold the proposed membership vote on the topic Adding a History Forum?
Yes
65%
 65%  [ 17 ]
No
34%
 34%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 26

Submissions: 337

Posted on Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:56 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Once it's established that a vote needs to be held, the BOD decide what options there will be. It might be just a yay/nay or there may be other options involved, we just have to wait and see.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 4

Posted on Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:52 pm

Ok then.

Submissions: 79

Posted on Mon May 03, 2010 4:25 pm

15 yes, 8 no.. as of this post.

how does the BOD feel about this issue? we don't need the massive turnout unless the membership is trying to force us to do something we don't want to. is this enough approval to hold a vote of some sort?

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Mon May 03, 2010 5:15 pm

Honestly?

I think that history (hah) has shown very little need for a Historical Sub-Forum...

That being said... If people are asking, there must be a reason...

I'm just curious exactly how many threads that currently exist would belong there...
And/Or how frequently it would see use...

Submissions: 42

Posted on Mon May 03, 2010 7:58 pm

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
I'm just curious exactly how many threads that currently exist would belong there...
And/Or how frequently it would see use...

As I see it right now there is a Japanese armor in Articles, a Historical armor, riveted armor and where can I see Historical armor in the Knitting Circle. If you also wanted to include all the requests or questions on different shirts over the years I can think of at least 6 in that category. It may also start up some discussions that people haven't even thought of yet.
If there was a way to create a 'ghost' thread (similar to when a thread is moved it shows up in both spots the old and the new) there have been discussions on the history of a weave name [helm to be specific] and a really good weave challenge that Lorenzo posted a year or so back that could be 'reflected' in the forum. These are just the things I can think of off the top of my head.

You are correct that it will not set the site on fire with all the activity, but it could spark some interest. Maille is after all a historical reality.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Mon May 03, 2010 10:57 pm

there is a thread in group projects on japanese maille...

Posted on Tue May 04, 2010 2:40 pm

sakredchao wrote:
there is a thread in group projects on japanese maille...

Thanks I forgot about that one. Very Happy

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Tue May 04, 2010 3:22 pm

it just occured to me, that it might be worth it to have a few "sub forums" in 3.0.. that term isn't a very good one, so let me describe what i mean.

there are some topics.. history is one.. but maybe sculpture is another.. whatever people want.. and we can tag threads with these keywords, and have an easy to access list of them somewhere. click the tag and have all the history threads or the sculpture threads show up in a single list.. this would allow us to keep our articles/weaves/gallery forums, and still use other organization systems.

Posted on Tue May 04, 2010 3:36 pm

sakredchao wrote:
it just occured to me, that it might be worth it to have a few "sub forums" in 3.0.. that term isn't a very good one, so let me describe what i mean.

there are some topics.. history is one.. but maybe sculpture is another.. whatever people want.. and we can tag threads with these keywords, and have an easy to access list of them somewhere. click the tag and have all the history threads or the sculpture threads show up in a single list.. this would allow us to keep our articles/weaves/gallery forums, and still use other organization systems.

If I understand what you are describing it is similar to what PHong was talking about here?

http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=15101#198521

The only thing I would 'worry' about there is that the information would still get 'lost' as far as people seeing it and thinking about it.

Now if you are thinking about how you may organize your computer files that could be an interesting option. What I am trying to say is: We have the Knitting Circle that has a little 'parent' arrow by it that when clicked shows different 'subforums' that can be seen. All the information is entered into the KC, but when the thread is created it is tagged with a 'sculpture' tag and is mirrored in that 'subforum'.

Using a computer example. I have a folder that says 'work'. In that folder I have other folders labeled 'bills', 'projects', ' and 'evaluations'. All the information is still in the 'work' folder, but is divided into the more specific folder for organizational puropses.

Sorry, I can see it, I just can't explain it very well.

I know that if DL reads this he will probably flip because I always think of the impossible. But it would keep the information in the appropriate spot, as Phong pointed out, while still keeping the topic and information in the public conciousness because they can see the 'subforum'.

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

Posted on Tue May 04, 2010 5:57 pm

exactly what phong is describing there.. my bad.. i didn't actually read it.. it happened while i was off on hiatus.

i'm not opposed to a history forum, but it's not in line with our current system.. we don't have a jewelry forum and an armor forum and a sculpture forum.. we have forums that are geared toward types of submissions..

kim

Posted on Tue May 04, 2010 7:11 pm

I can totally understand and respect that sakredchao. If we were able to get a tagging system in place and people knew what the categories were, say a 'tagged threads pulldown/scrolling box' that would sever the same purpose. I initally thought of a forum so people would see and think about it. It is hard to generate interest, information or discussions when people don't think about the topic.

For example: I started a thread asking people to tell us where you can see examples of maille in their area of the world, but it got lost in the KC and has only gathered minimal response. I know that I would love to know where I can see examples of maille as I go on vacation. There weren't even any responses from our European members and I know there are places over there to view maille and I attribute it to the fact that people just didn't see the thread.

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Tue May 04, 2010 8:33 pm

MusicMan wrote:
Now if you are thinking about how you may organize your computer files that could be an interesting option. What I am trying to say is: We have the Knitting Circle that has a little 'parent' arrow by it that when clicked shows different 'subforums' that can be seen. All the information is entered into the KC, but when the thread is created it is tagged with a 'sculpture' tag and is mirrored in that 'subforum'.

Using a computer example. I have a folder that says 'work'. In that folder I have other folders labeled 'bills', 'projects', ' and 'evaluations'. All the information is still in the 'work' folder, but is divided into the more specific folder for organizational puropses.

Sorry, I can see it, I just can't explain it very well.

I know that if DL reads this he will probably flip because I always think of the impossible. But it would keep the information in the appropriate spot, as Phong pointed out, while still keeping the topic and information in the public conciousness because they can see the 'subforum'.

WHY I OUGHTA...
No, wait a minute...

'Sub-Forums' are actually possible, if I'm not mistaken, in phpBB3...

I don't know about 'mirroring' input into one forum into a subforum, however... That screams trouble...
EITHER folks want stuff seperated out into a sub-forum, or they don't... You can't have your cake and eat it too... Coif LoL (Well, I suppose you could... It's be an easy hack to do, but I really fail to see why information need to exist in two places, if there's one place specifically designated for it.)

Posted on Tue May 04, 2010 8:37 pm

sakredchao wrote:
i'm not opposed to a history forum, but it's not in line with our current system.. we don't have a jewelry forum and an armor forum and a sculpture forum.. we have forums that are geared toward types of submissions..

That's not quite the same thing, though. The techniques we use for jewelry could also be used for armor or sculpture, and vice versa, just by changing the ring size. While they may seem different, the three things you mentioned are quite interrelated in several different ways.

History, or historical maille, on the other hand is a separate category. It CAN reference techniques used to make maille or it can be something else. When browsing the forums the history topics seem out of place. Most of the threads in the KC deal with actual production of maille (coiling, cutting, weaving, etc.). With the exception of trying to produce historically accurate maille, historical maille threads don't really fit with the other threads in the KC. Even in the Articles forum, the history threads seem out of place.

I realize the actual description of the Knitting Circle is to "discuss maille-related topics" and so technically historical maille would fall in there. But really, that category is overly broad. Almost everything on this site, with the exception of the chat room/forum (and sometimes even then) is maille related. For example, I know when I first started participating in the forums, I couldn't understand what the Weaves forum was for as anything in there would also belong in the KC.

To address Clifford's earlier stated concern about the community segregating into niche groups, I don't think that will be much of a problem with the history forum. As I stated earlier, I believe the history of maille is a separate category from the production of maille, though they could overlap. The historical threads would have their own place to reside where they would not be buried by all the KC threads (things do get buried quickly in that forum). There really aren't that many historical threads, either, so I am not concerned about a significant part of our community fracturing away. Besides, even without their own forums, our members could still ignore the other threads not related to their particular interest (in this case, history). I would NOT support further splintering of the forums into jewelry, armor, etc. As I said previously, those topics interrelate and interchange quite nicely.

Posted on Wed May 05, 2010 4:39 pm

we have historical weaves (and threads about them.. ref. lorenzos italian submit) we have historical gallery images. we have historical article threads. we have historical group projects. we probably have historical threads in the KC. this isn't theoretical, this is now.

Posted on Wed May 05, 2010 7:03 pm

sakredchao wrote:
this isn't theoretical, this is now.

Did I say something about theoretical? The topic in question is about implementing a new forum for future use. Thus I cannot talk about its current use because it does not exist yet.

I didn't realize that we had such diversity in terms of historical items. Still, I do not see a problem with a separate historical forum. It is a good way to keep all the information from getting lost in the sea of KC threads. Yes, there is a search function, but not all threads are appropriately named so as to be found easily from a search.

As you said about the current forum being separated by type of submission. We have submissions for articles, weaves, and the gallery. This makes sense. Since we do not have a "Knitting Circle" submission, I take it to be a sort of "Everything Else (Maille related)" category. What's the harm in having one less topic in the everything else category?

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 3. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next