Adding a new Forum category to MAIL
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Should there be a seperate forum for historic questions?
Yes, I would find this beneficial
63%
 63%  [ 21 ]
No, I would not use something like this
36%
 36%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 33

Submissions: 42

Adding a new Forum category to MAIL
Posted on Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:26 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I have been thinking about this for a while now and was wondering if anybody would find it helpful to open up a new forum just for history topics. Anything from how to make a shirt, mantel... to discussions on historic maille, application and techniques.

I know that this can and is done in the other forums Knitting Circle, Articles...but I thought it might be easier to have all that information in one place instead of scattered through the site. We commonly have the same question being asked multiple times and getting the same answers back from the same people. So I put it to the community. Is this something you would use?

And please, if you think it is a bad idea say so and why.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 4

Posted on Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:27 pm

I am ambivalent on the issue and so will refrain from voting. On the one hand, this is not something I would probably use. On the other, I have seen many people interested in this topic and it would be nice to have all that information in one place.

Question, though, if we were to implement a separate forum for historical items, would we then move all of the old threads on the topics into that forum?

Posted on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:49 am

My hope would be that all those discussions would be brought into the new forum, not only as a way to keep the information in one place, but to spark new discussion. But that would be up to the Admin in charge.

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 9

Posted on Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:39 am

I think it would be helpful. Just as you put it musicman, the info can be in a variety of places, but to have a dedicated forum would be a nice step in consolidating it all to a single location. I'm for it.

Submissions: 0

Re: Adding a new Forum category to MAIL
Posted on Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:28 pm

MusicMan wrote:
We commonly have the same question being asked multiple times and getting the same answers back from the same people.

If the forum is being created for this reason, then I vote no. If a forum is being created because folks don't know how to search the site for answers to common questions, then that needs to be addressed.

MusicMan wrote:
So I put it to the community. Is this something you would use?

I'm not into making historical reproductions myself, so I personally would not. Why? I assume that every question I have has been asked and answered before, so as a habit, I search for it before I ask others to help me find it.

Re: Adding a new Forum category to MAIL
Posted on Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:58 pm

suulia wrote:
MusicMan wrote:
We commonly have the same question being asked multiple times and getting the same answers back from the same people.

If the forum is being created for this reason, then I vote no. If a forum is being created because folks don't know how to search the site for answers to common questions, then that needs to be addressed.

Good point. It was not my initial motivation though just to make it easier for people. The initial thought was a place to have where discussions of a historical nature could be in one spot. For example we have a "quiz" on what type of maille is this in the weave forum (it turned out to be possibly one of the first weaves), discussions about making maille shirts, where to see historical maille around the world and how to research in the KC, Japanese armor in the Articles, testing ancient armor in the Group Projects and these are just a brief example. I thought that if they were all in the same place it would be easier for people to know that they were there and continue a discussion easier.

sullia wrote:
MusicMan wrote:
So I put it to the community. Is this something you would use?

I'm not into making historical reproductions myself, so I personally would not. Why? I assume that every question I have has been asked and answered before, so as a habit, I search for it before I ask others to help me find it.

Again a good point. Thanks for your input and thoughts. I just hope others will do the same. For or against. Very Happy

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:16 pm

Would this be limited to historic armor-type maille? Or would it also be open to the history of maille (ie, when the byzantine chain was developed, or the box chain, etc.)? I know that a lot of weaves here are modern in origin--most of their creators are still around, after all--but some are certainly older. It wouldn't be a typical "history of maille" page, nor would it simply be a repository for stock answers that way.

Posted on Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:36 pm

Dinwar wrote:
Would this be limited to historic armor-type maille? Or would it also be open to the history of maille (ie, when the byzantine chain was developed, or the box chain, etc.)?

I see it as a section for any discussion dealing with history. Was byzantine and box actually used and when, or any other discussion that may have historical significance. It could even go into what is the oldest example of chain jewelry, besides 2-1, that has been found?

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

Submissions: 75

Posted on Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:18 pm

Within the structure of the forum, I think topics should still be categorized based on what they're asking about. IE, a historical weave thread would go in Weaves, a historical article would go in Articles, a general historical thread would go in KC.

It's been suggested for 3.0 that threads be taggable. So there could be a 'history' tag (among others) that could be given to threads discussing history topics, while keeping the threads themselves in the KC/Weaves/Articles/etc forums.

However, I would not want the job of tagging old threads. Surprised

-phong

-- CGMaille tutorials now hosted here at MAIL! --

Submissions: 9

Posted on Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:35 pm

Hmm after seeing some other posts I think I may need to clarify on my understanding on the whole thing. i'm seeing this as opening up just another place to discuss the history of maille in general. If there were articles written about the history of said maille then those would of course fall under the articles forum. But the research and discussion prior to it being written could then fall under this historical forum

Posted on Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:28 pm

Phong wrote:
It's been suggested for 3.0 that threads be taggable. So there could be a 'history' tag (among others) that could be given to threads discussing history topics, while keeping the threads themselves in the KC/Weaves/Articles/etc forums.

However, I would not want the job of tagging old threads. Surprised

-phong

This sounds like a cool idea, if there isn't a separate place created, so than you could do a search of all history tags and come up with your information.

As far as going through old threads to tag them, if the general populace was able to add/select tags for threads as they search the database I am sure that many of the old threads would get done in no time. Smile

Phong wrote:
Within the structure of the forum, I think topics should still be categorized based on what they're asking about. IE, a historical weave thread would go in Weaves, a historical article would go in Articles, a general historical thread would go in KC.

But what if someone wants to learn about the history/historical aspect of maille and doesn't know how to search for it. For example if I wanted to look up and find out about historical weaves how would I search? I only know about the discussion that Lorenzo started http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=13259&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 because I was around and followed it. This would be a way for other people to find it if they didn't know it existed.

As another example, I started a thread in the KC about places to go and view maille around the world. (Which I thought would be a great source of interest/information for everybody) There has been very little response because it got buried to quickly and lost. I am sure that people would add information to it if they knew it was there.

I do agree that if there is a comment/discussion about an article that has been written it should be in the Articles Forum, but who is ever going to find the above discussion if it is not either tagged or in its own area?

Thank you for responding by the way Phong you are the first Admin to do so.

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

Submissions: 4

Posted on Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:57 pm

On further reflection, I do think a historical forum would be of merit and so I voted yes. If, however, we can implement a 'tag' system instead, as Phong mentioned, that would be great too. Perhaps even better, actually. But until then, I am good with the idea of a historical forum.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:40 pm

I can't say that I am either for or against a separate forum for maille history. I read almost every post on MAIL, so very little goes unnoticed by me. But I have absolutely no problem supporting such a forum if it is useful to even a small group.

I have never made armor and know very little about maille history, so I rarely have any helpful replies to give in that area. But I have noticed that Konstantine the Red is very knowledgeable and conscientious about replying to threads on these subjects. A search of posts with his name would be very useful to someone with such questions. I know that's not a solution, but it is a thought...

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:52 am

To tell you the truth Lorraine I have never made any armor either, but I have started getting interested in the historical aspect and I have really found it difficult to hunt down all the threads that deal with history. That is why I thought that a forum for history/armor would help those people who are new to the site.

I usually search for Konstantine's posts when I am searching, but a new person wouldn't know who on MAIL is reliable in that area. I was really hoping that he would chime in and give his opinion at some time.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

Submissions: 57

Posted on Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:29 pm

well simply put, I don't think this is something I would use much of , but both maille and history are things that seem to have a way of captivating me, so who knows with more general knowledge passing through my eyes I may get to really enjoy it, as long as it didn't degenerate into the arguing forum.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next