colouring mail
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 0

colouring mail
Posted on Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:07 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

wut would be a good inexpensive way to blacken galvanized steel?

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:34 am

without stripping the zinc coating

Submissions: 4

Posted on Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:23 am

Since you posted this in Articles Discussion, did you see the article on it already?
Darkening galvy the easy (and free!) way

Submissions: 24

Posted on Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:17 am

Originally, I'd have said to take a blowtorch to it, but then I remembered that it would give off a bad chemical known as zinc oxide (Zn2O). That method works for stainless, but DON'T do it for galvy. It MAY be possible to tumble it to get it blacker, kinda like how it's possible to over tumble bright aluminum. If you have a tumbler, try it. If it doesn't work the least you'll have is some nicer looking galvy.

-Just remember, if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

-Never take life too seriosly. No one ever gets out alive, anyway.

--Omne Ignotum Pro Magnifico

-- If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Submissions: 4

Posted on Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:20 am

Found an old thread that discusses this in detail. Check it out:
http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=8442&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Edit: And this one:
http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=7801

Submissions: 2

oh this one is simple and cost nothing.
Posted on Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:09 am

Time will do what you want. You see I use the gal. a good bit. I like to make my pieces first then build them again in what ever I want. If you want to speed this graying up you can do two things. one wear it or heat it up and and let it cool. By heating it you can make it stronger, the faster you cool it off. I like running with and orange color to the gal. then dropping it in old motor oil. But time works the best. The oils in your hands from working it will make it dark. Build you piece, wear your piece and just let time do her thing. Coif Smiley

You are only limited by ones self, for trying is never failure. You may have just hit your limitations.
You can tell some one a 1000 times how to do some thing or show them once and they can do it a 1000 times over.

Submissions: 20

Re: oh this one is simple and cost nothing.
Posted on Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:13 am || Last edited by Daemon_Lotos on Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total

fire_pixie2007 wrote:
heat it up and and let it cool. By heating it you can make it stronger, the faster you cool it off. I like running with and orange color to the gal. then dropping it in old motor oil. But time works the best.

This is your friendly neighbourhood public safety notice.

Don't heat Galavnized Steel... The Galavinzed coating is Zinc. Zinc, when heated, produces vapours and fumes that are harmful when inhaled. And can cause damage to your internal organs. tblumberg was on the right track here.

Wearing a dust mask is NOT adequate protection. And I'm willing to bet that very few of you out there own a proper fitted cartridge respirator mask, or the proper Particulate/Hydrogen Flouride filters to go along with it.

As I said, this is just a friendly safety notice... I can't sit beside you and make you do anything... Carry on.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 20

Posted on Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:18 am

Also, see: http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=8695

It has some fun facts about Zinc poisoning... As well as explains how to be safe if you feel that you absolutely must heat Zinc... Including how to properly fit and wear a respirator.

I personally recommend North Safety Products as well, my personal Cartridge Respirator is made by them.
http://www.northsafety.com/

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 2

sorry for got
Posted on Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:19 am

you can try gun blueing bottle tells you everything you need to know. you will want to get some battery acid to nock off the coating. you need plastic to lay down over you work area. tight sealing plastic bowl, gloves, bucket of water, and air flow. take your maille and put it in the acid for about 15-
20 minutes or untill the coating is gone. then when ready take it out of the acid and put it in the water then take it to the sink and rinse. keep your gloves on. change gloves before you start to color and DO NOT TOUCH WITH YOUR BARE HANDS. this will cause you problems, it will start to rust or have a funny looking spots where to touched it. that should do you.

You are only limited by ones self, for trying is never failure. You may have just hit your limitations.
You can tell some one a 1000 times how to do some thing or show them once and they can do it a 1000 times over.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:46 pm

Please please please... for [insert deity of your choice]'s sake, RESEARCH any of the "experiments" suggested in this thread or anywhere else before you try them. PLEASE? I'm begging you. Don't get hurt.

Zinc fumes, blow torches, battery acid... Rolling Eyes Not play toys!

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 243

Re: oh this one is simple and cost nothing.
Posted on Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:40 pm

fire_pixie2007 wrote:
By heating it you can make it stronger, the faster you cool it off. I like running with and orange color to the gal. then dropping it in old motor oil.

This is misleading and not necessarily true, heating and quenching will only harden the metal if it has significant carbon content. Most galvanized wire does not.

More likely it will anneal the galvanized and make it much softer, even if it did harden it would be left brittle without an appropriate tempering afterwards.

This is also a very dangerous procedure and I would not advise anyone to try it, there are much safer and more reliable methods.

http://www.mailletec.com

Y'know, that might just be crazy enough to work!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1