Few thoughts on Gallery submition req
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 74

Few thoughts on Gallery submition req
Posted on Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:24 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

For the most part i can agree with the content pionts. but i have to go over a few i think are not needed.

Quote:
...... details if you haven't included enough of them. In other words, don't just submit a picture of a necklace, and say "here's a necklace I made". If we don't get a reply within a reasonable amount of time the submission will be removed from the queue, to make room for new ones coming in......

I don't see this as nessisary, we should not be requierd to give any information on a pice we have made. (mainly ring sizes, weaves used) this keeps our unique stuff more unique. mabey a name for the pice as a max. but details on its stats i don't see as nessisary. the piont of a gallery is to share the images of the work we do. not to give people a pattern of construction. We have sections for that. IF the artisan want to inclue further details all the better. but i don't see that having a min amount that must be included in the submition as relavent to the posting type.

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 79

Posted on Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:36 pm

we used to have rules that required ring stats and weaves and such. i have never been into that sort of thing. if someone wants to duplicate one of my pieces, they're going to have to bust out with some skills.

so, maxumx brings up a good point, imo.. what are the required details?

why isn't it enough to just say, "here is a necklace i made."?

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:02 am

Those guidelines were written by Deirdre and have been there for ages. I just copypasta'd, cleaned it up a little, added relevant names... I just didn't think it looked very good having the guidelines submitted by a blank name. Most people don't have a problem adding details, but if I ask for details and they say "I'd like to keep those to myself", I really don't have a problem with approving it to the gallery anyway.

I could reword it to say: Please provide these details... If you prefer not to give any details, make a note of that in your submission so that it won't be held up while we wait for your reply to a PM. How's that?

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 149

Posted on Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:01 am

Kim, MaxumX: I think the mentioned sentences are there with a good cause. And I'd like to see them stay. We already have too many submissions that have 'marginal' descriptions, and the gallery admins often have to ask for a little bit more info before approval.

It's just a kind request to provide some info, so the submission/approval process will be 'frictionless'. And so these few words (that really don't hurt anybody) maybe help getting better descriptions, more often without need to request further info before approval.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 50

Posted on Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:14 am

Weaves should have technical data as a requirement, as they are the building blocks we all use. Gallery should be technical data optional, as many items are personal designs and creations.

Necklace made by <submitter> is entirely suitable for a gallery description.
Weave by <submitter> is an epic fail for a weave submission.

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:34 am

i have got to agree, that technical information should be optional, at the submitters discretion. after all we do have a gallery forum, were if some one would like to ask questions, this would be the place for it. if the artist would be willing to share that information here should be the venue for it.

Submissions: 149

Posted on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:37 am

Weave data, AR info or else currently ARE optional, and will remain to be so; they are NOT a requirement for approval of a Gallery submission. But think a step further - there will be MAIL3. And supposedly we get some more database interlinking there, with Gallery items linked to a weave, as possible examples what can be done with. And now guess, which Gallery entries will be preferred?

Who does not want to publish data for Gallery items shall feel free to do so, but imho a fine piece shown needs a fine description - else why publish an image at all? I know the feeling of pride after sometimes many hours of weaving, so I like to present the result. And so I invest an adequate amount of work into the Gallery submission as well, to show the piece 'in best light', as it simply deserves it - a good description besides a good photo is simply part of the presentation for me.

And I repeat: The words in discussion are just a KIND REQUEST to provide data - not more, not less.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:05 pm

i seem to recall this being discussed in the admin forum at one point and the decision being made that technical data is optional. if it is just a request, then why should it hold up the submission while a PM is made?

i understand it if we say, "we would like you to include a detailed description of your piece." or "the weave(s) you use, metals and AR(s) are appreciated in the description." but, if we're sending out PMs for more info, it seems similar to a requirement.

i'm just speaking as a member, here. you'll notice that the descriptions on my gallery subs are pretty brief.

kim

Posted on Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:55 pm

Well, I know it's shocking, but a lot of people submit without reading the guidelines. Razz We aren't trying to be mean by holding up the submission while we PM and wait for a reply. We are just giving the member the opportunity to make their submission as complete as possible. And Zili is right, a nice description adds to the presentation and makes tagging and searching much easier. I look at it this way, one of my jobs is to try to make the gallery as pretty and as useful to the members as possible. If holding up a submission for a few days helps me accomplish that, it's a very small price to pay.

Personally, I have NEVER rejected a gallery submission for not having enough info. I PM the member and if I don't get a reply within 2 weeks, I just go ahead and approve it. I have rejected for poor picture quality however. Having a bunch of blurry pictures in the gallery is not beneficial to anyone.

Lorraine's Chains

Posted on Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:54 pm

fair enough.

now, i would tag my images if we had a tag system in place. i'll probably go back over my gallery subs and add appropriate tags when the time comes.

Posted on Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:43 pm

I changed the guidelines a little. You guys let me know what you think, okay?

Lorraine's Chains

Posted on Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:50 pm

if a member says, "no additional details" or some such comment, does that comment go into the gallery?

Posted on Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:58 pm

No. I would take that out and just leave it blank.

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 74

Posted on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:04 pm

yes i like that better lorraine. and hopefully it will perswade some people how are worried about "copy cats" to post some of there unique stuff.

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1