On the recent admin actions in this forum...
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 16

On the recent admin actions in this forum...
Posted on Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:48 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

edit: this refers to the How do you use the Gallery Poll

Deirdre wrote:
I'm closing this poll for two reasons; 1) the question asked does not match the intention for gathering information and 2) any information gathered is redundant; this is the Gallery forum, not the Articles forum Phong. You need to either bring up changes you'd like to see to the Gallery with the BOD as a whole or better yet with me, and then we can make a plan of action from there. You've circumvented our normal process, and frankly stepped all over my toes.

Waitaminutewaitaminute.

Quote:
1) the question asked does not match the intention for gathering information

Hello, have you ever seen anything related to politics? Your concern is irrelevant, as the data collected could be used for anything. This concern is only applicable if he were to present conclusions that did not actually stem from the results, but that hasn't happened yet. In that case, then you throw out the conclusion, but the data is still valid when correctly interpreted. Basic statistics here.

Quote:
2) any information gathered is redundant; this is the Gallery forum, not the Articles forum Phong.

... exactly, which is why it is the place for a vote about the contents of the gallery.

Maybe I'm just being logical here, but I can't see why articles has anything to do about it. He's not posting this poll in his capacity as articles assistant, he's posting as a MAIL member who wants to see changes in the way things are done.

And since when do any possible changes to the way the board is used have to go directly to the BOD or you in specific? Especially when he's just sending feelers out to see what people think.

Anyway,
I fully support the move of non-weaves or duplicate weaves to the gallery, where in my interpretation "non-weaves" includes items that can only be described as 'applications' of weaves and not new weaves. It just so happens that many of the 'weaves' in the "unit" category fit this description, but a good amount do not. I am not in favor of blindly moving everything from 'unit' to the gallery.

Maille Code V2.0 T5.9 R5.1 En.o Fcir MFe.s Wgm$ Cab$w G0.2-2.0 I1.2-14.1 N(many).~25 Pdjs Dacdejst Xg(many)t1w5 S03
deviantArt

Submissions: 79

Posted on Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:35 pm

i think the poll was pretty useless, but i agree that the thread should not have been locked.

useless polls don't really matter, and locking it almost gives it some semblance of credibility. no result from that poll could possibly be used to move forward any agenda. the wording was ambiguous. and even biased, when the true intentions came out. it wasn't an official vote, it was just windbagging.

the only way this is going to be resolved is if -both sides- agree on the vote wording and hold a vote, somewhere. bod, member, wherever, as long as both sides of this issue agree on wording and vote location..

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 16

Posted on Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:04 pm

sakredchao wrote:
useless polls don't really matter, and locking it almost gives it some semblance of credibility. no result from that poll could possibly be used to move forward any agenda. the wording was ambiguous. and even biased, when the true intentions came out. it wasn't an official vote, it was just windbagging.

So when you disagree with the wording of a poll, instead of constructively trying to fix it, you dismiss it as 'windbagging'. Then instead of posting in said poll and asking about the wording, you would rather just ignore it and then let someone else randomly lock it.

Seriously, "I ignore the gallery / It is useful to browse / It is only useful to archive my own work" isn't completely useless. Even if it doesn't "further his agenda", it provides some feedback to MAIL in general of how one of the features is used. That in itself should warrant keeping it open, since you yourself already said that it couldn't be used for any specific agenda.

Are you really afraid of general MAIL-wide feedback, or are you possibly worried that it could in fact be used to help an agenda that is contrary to yours?

Also, "eh, it's useless, it's windbagging" isn't a very good argument. You might start with specific reasons instead of broad statements that could apply to a large number of posts on this forum.

Maille Code V2.0 T5.9 R5.1 En.o Fcir MFe.s Wgm$ Cab$w G0.2-2.0 I1.2-14.1 N(many).~25 Pdjs Dacdejst Xg(many)t1w5 S03
deviantArt

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:20 pm

Sacredchao, your opinion of the poll is one opinion among many, making it no more/no less valid than anyone else's. The response from the membership shows that at the very least, one other member considered it relevant. Those members should have the opportunity to discuss the subject in an open forum.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 79

Posted on Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:55 pm

i never said it should be locked, rather the opposite.

i just don't think that the poll is relevant to the weave modification discussion that has been going on for a year, now.

also, i didn't vote in the poll, as i thought it was strange before i found out he was fishing for "evidence" to separate weave modifications into the gallery.

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 7

Posted on Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:29 pm

I don't see how the intent behind the original poll has been misconstrued.

From the first time I read and voted in the poll I understood it to be information gathering wrt ideas of certain weaves or "weave modifacations" being moved to the gallery.

The wording may seem ambiguous now but in the context of *when* the poll was posted in relation to the weave theory threads that were particularly active at the time the intent was, to me at least, clear.

I don't see anything underhand/windbagging/useless about the poll. The moving of weaves/weave modifications that do not meet new requirements to the gallery (whilst not my cup of tea) is a valid option/opinion that should be discussed. In my eyes Phong was merely trying to back-up his opinion that moving these weaves/modification to the gallery would not see them "lost in time".

Even with the intent of the poll, I don't see the information gathering as a bad thing. I don't think Phong's intention was to pull the poll out of a hat at the last minute and go "Ha Ha! But look, the membership said this so bin all the unit weaves."

I think the only thing here that has been done with mal-intent is the locking of this thread without proper discussion. Nothing in the thread has broken the charter or stepped over any guidelines.

I think the thread should be unlocked so that proper discussion may continue in the light of concerns raised.

My £0.02

Dave

Submissions: 75

Posted on Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:43 pm

Thanks, Dave. It's good to see not everyone is myopic 'round here. Smile

-phong, is nearsighted

-- CGMaille tutorials now hosted here at MAIL! --

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:37 pm

(from the locked discussion)
Deirdre wrote:
Your having weaves in mind when posting this had EVERYTHING to do with the results. People may have voted another way if they new what you were really doing was gathering info to push forward with moving unit weaves to the Gallery.

I'm a new MAIL member (a mere 3 months), and most of my inspiration comes directly from the gallery. I do appreceiate the clarification later in the thread, but I don't feel tricked or mislead at all. My vote stands as-is.

I am, however, disappointed and saddened at the quick resumption of hostilities, finger pointing, and hurt feelings between BOD members so soon after what happened in January.

Posted on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:12 pm

Threads unlocked, poll remains closed.

Get over it and move on.

Re: On the recent admin actions in this forum...
Posted on Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:14 am

CShake wrote:

And since when do any possible changes to the way the board is used have to go directly to the BOD or you in specific? Especially when he's just sending feelers out to see what people think.

They don't. HOWEVER, he is an Articles admin, that's his area. I'm the main Gallery admin, this is MY area. I don't object to gathering any kind of member feedback; I do however object to people circumventing proceedure and doing MY JOB without even talking to me about it. If you'd read that thread from beginning to end, you wouldn't have to ask this.

Does that clear it up for everyone?

If anyone else (and I am not referring to cshake with this, this is seperate) wants to send me another pm regarding this issue, DON'T. It's a minor, trivial thing that has happened, and it's time to go amuse yourselves with something else.

I am done being nice and polite. I have never been rude or abusive to a single one of you, member or admin. Stop the drama, grow up, and move on.

Submissions: 50

Posted on Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:24 am

Would you have had an issue had a non-Admin done the same thing?

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Posted on Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:30 am

How do you guys not get this? Seriously?

No, of course I wouldn't have.

Submissions: 50

Posted on Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:57 am

For my part, I guess I wonder why you don't get that we don't get it, to borrow your phrasing.

It's been said that an Admin isn't always posting as an Admin, yet your issue seems to stem from the fact that Phong is an Admin. I understand from the thread in the Admin Discussion forum that there may have been more to cause your reaction than what we saw in the contested thread than just that particular fact, but that fact is what you keep harping on.

Maybe you see something in what was said that we don't, being as it is your area of responsibility. I apologize for not having the same perspective on it that you do and asking a question whose answer you apparently feel is obvious.

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Posted on Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:08 am

There are two problems with that ED.

1, Phong never said he was posting as a MEMBER. Show me where he said that. You can't. Maybe now he's saying he was only doing it as a member because he's been called out on it, but he posted as an admin.

2. No matter how much some of the admins wish it otherwise, once your an admin, there are just some things you don't get to "do as a member" anymore. Sorry, but it's the truth. One of those things is taking over another admins area.

But hey, the membership has the final say, so tell you what; since you guys seem to think I'm doing such a piss poor job and Phong would be so much better, why don't you guys just go ahead and organize a vote to remove me? I don't need to bleed for a place that doesn't want or appreciate the considerable amount of personal time I've donated to it. That's something that ANYONE can do, member and admin alike.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:21 am

Everybody take a step back and breathe.

Please.

That is all.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 3. Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next