content policy in 3.0
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> League Business

Submissions: 57

Posted on Mon May 03, 2010 7:47 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I do not understand , are you trying to encourage me to remove my content?
It is not that I am not willing to, share knowledge and/or help others, only that I have not authorized that content under a creative commons nor do I intend to.

Submissions: 79

Posted on Tue May 04, 2010 4:34 am

if a cc -option- were initiated, all current submissions would keep their -current- legal license.. us changing that license would be illegal. you would have the -option- of changing it yourself if you wished to.

options options options.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Tue May 04, 2010 5:19 am

Seriously...

This got out of hand in a hurry...
Let me sum up...

Nothing that currently exists will change.

That is all.
There will be no Facebook Privacy switcheroo's, where suddenly anyone who is friends of your mother cousins best-friends roommates kid will have control of anything...

All we are giving people is MORE OPTIONS.

Threats of content removal are unessecary.

Let me sum up:

In the future, what I would like to see on MAIL:
-Old Content Grandfathered in on a 'MAIL Licence'
-New Content Defaulting to same Licence, with the option to switch for a CC Licence, or a simple 'Released to Public Domain' licence.
-Option to re-licence old content.

As for the 'reuse of work'... There is a LOT... And I mean a LOT of misinformation out there regarding the Crative Commons Licenses...
You are NOT 'signing away your claim' to your work by using one...

There are multiple licence types... The one that would (likely) satisfy onering and others is Attribution-No Derivative Works.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/

Basically, this states that You *MUST* Attribute the work to the original author (" in the manner specified by the author" IE: full name, website, email address, WHATEVER) and you are NOT allowed to re-use the work in part or in whole in anything else but its original form.
You can't put that picture in your tutorial/pamphlet/class handout, you can't edit that video tutorial into your Anime Music Video, and you can't crop the photo and use it as your userpic either... It must stay in its original form, not become part of something else.

Unless I'm missing something, basically that's what you want onering, no?

And let's face it, at the end of the day... MAIL License or CC License, if someone is being unscrupulous, they're going to steal it regardless... The CC just has legal precident backing it that would allow you to go after them in court...

Seriously, on a side note, I'm curious... Why the *frell* is CC licensing 'the boogeyman'?!

Submissions: 75

Posted on Tue May 04, 2010 12:05 pm || Last edited by Phong on Fri May 07, 2010 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total

No, I'm pretty sure onering isn't as dumb as all that. He's just being very insistent on misrepresenting the truth, and trying to catch 'the man' doing 'something sneaky'. Which is entirely unhelpful, and getting trollish.

-phong

-- CGMaille tutorials now hosted here at MAIL! --

Posted on Tue May 04, 2010 3:17 pm

confusion is understandable.. we are presenting the membership with new options that they could use to manage their submissions.. we need to be patient with any questions, even if it is the same misunderstanding repeatedly.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue May 04, 2010 5:10 pm

sakredchao wrote:
confusion is understandable.. we are presenting the membership with new options that they could use to manage their submissions.. we need to be patient with any questions, even if it is the same misunderstanding repeatedly.

Questions are entirely understandable and welcome. Asking them and being willing to listen to the answers serves to help inform the truly curious. Inflammatory statements however are not understandable or welcome. They serve to misinform and cause trouble. That, I have no patience for.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:23 pm

where do we go from here? what is the best way to move this forward?

lorenzo copyrighted his scale flower under CC recently. is there a way to give people an easy way to do this without a membership vote?

"here is what to copypasta into your submission to license it under this suggested CC license."

does doing something like this encourage people to rush the other way and issue DCMA takedown notices to other maillers?

what is the best road to take to keep this art free? i have been thinking a lot recently about where we have come from and where we seem to be going. i would much rather focus on making new and never before seen things than making things in an attempt to protect maille art freedoms from copyrighters.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:35 pm

I'll be re-opening this debate in a big way in a few days... I've been pondering MAIL's Content Policy lately, in light of my recent dismay at some copyright issues...

I've got some thoughts, and I know a few other people probably do as well...

Submissions: 16

Posted on Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:47 pm

kodiak wrote:
I'd like to see folks having a choice of CC Licensing when submitting. Public Domain, semi or fully restricted etc.....check the box, submit with © info.

Kodiak-

ditto

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 3. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3