multiple wires in Turk's Head Knot overlapping
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Wire Arts

Submissions: 4

multiple wires in Turk's Head Knot overlapping
Posted on Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:24 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hey, i've been trying my hand at turk's Head Knot Rings recently, and using a single wire they been coming out alright. however, anyone got any tips on keeping the wires flat against the rig when using more than one?

with two i was able to get it done, but the points have been dispersing a bit because i had to keep re-bending them so much, and with three i cant even get bast 3 pegs on the rig without the outermost wire pushing behind the others.

anyone got any tips? cause i kinda already got a few people wanting tripled ones out of sterling, and i not guna even attempt them until i got it worked out with electrical copper.

Posted on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:30 am

Saradamon wrote:
cause i kinda already got a few people wanting tripled ones out of sterling, and i not guna even attempt them until i got it worked out with electrical copper.

Hmm, that gives me an idea for future gifts...
*waits patiently for an answer to Saradamon's question*

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:51 am || Last edited by Enchantra on Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total

I have found that if you weave any knot loosely it helps with being able to get second and third strands into it and then it's easier to manipulate the wire so it lays flat. I however have not yet tried it this way with a Turk's Head knot, so your mileage may vary.

Posted on Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:13 pm

1. A Turk's Head is a knot tied with a single strand.
2. A "Standing Turk's-Head" is a knot with any number of strands.
3. Coachwhipping is tied with any even number of strands.

To clarify, if you are making a Turk's Head from several strands, you are actually making a "Standing Turk's-Head" knot (#2).

You're making a 3L x 4B? Start out with very straight wire and only bend it when necessary to get the best result. What I do is use very long strands of stick-straight wire, so that the part that I am weaving into place stays straight and untwisted until I place it exactly where I'm putting it. When I put each turn into place, that part of the wire hasn't been bent yet and looks perfect when it gets there. It's easier to say than to do. Even with rope!

If one of your leads is tucking behind another than the lead that is tucking is not long enough for that position because it has been pulled out of position by a subsequent crossing. Make it longer and it won't pull anymore. As you've found out, that's not so easy to do when you're weaving 3 strands at a time instead of one. All 3 strands try and jockey for position as you pull on all 3 wires. Be more careful. Weave slower and more meticulously. Don't pull on the wire more than you have to so that the part that you've already weaved stays in place.

I weave single-strand freehand (without a jig), but you should be able to use similar techniques with a jig.

Posted on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:40 pm

suulia wrote:
1. A Turk's Head is a knot tied with a single strand.
2. A "Standing Turk's-Head" is a knot with any number of strands.
3. Coachwhipping is tied with any even number of strands.

To clarify, if you are making a Turk's Head from several strands, you are actually making a "Standing Turk's-Head" knot (#2).

You're making a 3L x 4B? Start out with very straight wire and only bend it when necessary to get the best result. What I do is use very long strands of stick-straight wire, so that the part that I am weaving into place stays straight and untwisted until I place it exactly where I'm putting it. When I put each turn into place, that part of the wire hasn't been bent yet and looks perfect when it gets there. It's easier to say than to do. Even with rope!

If one of your leads is tucking behind another than the lead that is tucking is not long enough for that position because it has been pulled out of position by a subsequent crossing. Make it longer and it won't pull anymore. As you've found out, that's not so easy to do when you're weaving 3 strands at a time instead of one. All 3 strands try and jockey for position as you pull on all 3 wires. Be more careful. Weave slower and more meticulously. Don't pull on the wire more than you have to so that the part that you've already weaved stays in place.

I weave single-strand freehand (without a jig), but you should be able to use similar techniques with a jig.

3l 5b, actually. looked great with 2 strands (at first, i didn't do every braid, and it didn't stay together as well as it should have) and i was kinda guessing the answer was "go slower"

because an hour and a half isn't slow enough, apparently Razz (time it took for 1st try)

and what's stick-straight wire?

Posted on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:38 pm

Saradamon wrote:

Wire that is as straight as a stick, I would assume.

Posted on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:45 am

Vorondil wrote:
Saradamon wrote:

Yes, that's correct. Sorry for the ambiguity. Wire that's without bends or curves in it's length Laughing

Posted on Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:19 am

suulia wrote:
Vorondil wrote:
Saradamon wrote:

Yes, that's correct. Sorry for the ambiguity. Wire that's without bends or curves in it's length Laughing

ah. ok.

i got nothing like that atm Razz

infact, for the rings i been working with electrical wire that i gotta strip myself XD

Submissions: 1

Posted on Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:47 am

I'm really not clear on the issue, here. I double and triple my knots, and though getting the strands to lay parallel isn't easy, it's not that hard.

I've also used four and five strands, but quadrupling and quintupling a ring isn't a good idea, in my opinion, as it's much too vulnerable to edge impacts and distortion.

If you're working from my DVD and using my tools, I think you'd find the answer pretty easily. It's hard for me to explain my method in words, even when I do have an idea what the question entails. :)

Loren
http://www.golden-knots.com/

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1