Not a complaint as such but a concern
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> League Business

Submissions: 20

Posted on Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:31 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

MusicMan wrote:
Just a thought. And of course me not knowing ANYTHING about programming always suggests the most improbable and labor intensive solution. Confused

Hey, you never know, until you ask, right? Razz

Submissions: 79

Posted on Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:39 pm

zili, you're right, that wording is better. i'll fix the proposition post.

lorenzo, the issue i have is that it's hard to get more than 1 or 2 people in the BOD to fully discuss something. people are busy and/or uninterested in any given topic.

i'm not interested in a bigger complaints section, but i am interested in someone wanting to help work out the details in rewording the charter to be able to participate. i guess i could just post all of my ideas and questions for the BOD here in requests to force the things i initiate to take place here.

if this poll is carried out, it should happen in the knitting circle.. the forum witht he most traffic.

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 149

Posted on Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:33 pm

Kim: While agreeing to most parts of your post, I disagree with doing such a poll in KC. That's just not the right place for. The requsts forum is the natural place for this - be it a request of memberhip directed at the BOD, be it vice-versa. And placing an announcement at MAIL's main page shouldn't pose any problem, and suffice to give a heads-up for anybody who might be interested to vote in a poll. Who is not interested will ignore it anyway. Just use the site features, as they are made for being used.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:39 pm

i'm not sure when an issue poll deserves to be in the announcements page... and i don't know that i would post this there. votes, definitely, but polls...maybe not.

i agree that this is that place it theoretically belongs, but it has a far smaller readership than KC. i would still put it in KC. we have done that before with other membership votes and polls.

we could redesign the site in this forum and a large part of the forum readers would miss it because no one uses this area. once the use of this area becomes more common, more people will know to look here.

kim

Posted on Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:14 pm

If features MAIL provides are not used by the membership, it is simply NOT MAIL's fault. Announcements are located at MAIL's most prominent spot - in central position on the entry page - that homepage is linked at near to EVERY page displayed by our server, also in forum pages. People who circumvent/ignore it, simply have no right to complain after they missed something that was announced. That may sound hard, but I deem that being fair.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

-'me

Submissions: 75

Posted on Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:51 pm

The poll itself should be in Requests. A sticky post notifying the membership of the poll could go in the other forums, and when the poll is over, unsticky/delete those threads.

-phong

-- CGMaille tutorials now hosted here at MAIL! --

Posted on Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:36 pm

i like phongs idea about the temporary sticky in KC.

kim

Submissions: 93

Posted on Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:50 am

Erm... Before you guys post that vote, may I propose a third option? We could create a M.A.I.L. forum whose purpose is specifically to discuss organization related issues, and put a policy/FAQ sticky in it specifying that we encourage members with opinions on specific threads to start new threads there with links to the original.

Yes, I know this is pretty identical to Sakred's original suggestion in another thread, but it would definitely belong in this vote...

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

— George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Submissions: 337

Posted on Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:11 am

I think the above suggestion is a good one.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Posted on Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:48 am

Hmmm. Blaise's proposal to create a subforum especially for this purpose, write-enabled for every member, earns my agreement - especially if we use the announcements on homepage to set 'pointers' if urgent and/or important matters have to be decided upon.

But I think the proposal to 'plaster' the forums with stickies (even temporary ones) is imho a bit too much 'mothering', as people who tend to ignore announcements will usually ignore stickies as well. But I think, these people would ignore a special feedback/voting/whatever subforum anyway...

I don't know about phpbb's technical possibilities, but if it could be done, that all people with admin status would have an 'auto-subscribe' for all threads in Admin discussion, MAIL Help and Requests (and this maybe newly created forum), could be somewhat helpful - if an admin has no business with some thread then, (s)he may unsubscribe from these threads. But initially they would get a 'heads-up' by this.

-ZiLi-

-'me

Posted on Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:47 pm

my concern with a third "yes-like" option is what happened in the very first vote we had about adult content on tcb.. there were 2 yes options, and 1 no option. there were more people who thought that "yes", we want something like that, but "no" was the single category with the most actual votes. we had to redo that vote because of unclear results..

as i see it, if we create the area blaise is suggesting, and we hold all of our site development conversations there.. our new admin nominations. our acceptance policy discussions. that's the thing that is being discussed. or rather, that would be the effective result of opening up the admin threads for public posting.

a single sticky, during the beginning of a new system isn't "plastering", it's being polite and informative, imo. i remember seeing a member say that they come here for the forum, and they skip the front page. that's fine, that's their right to do that. they are probably not the only ones who do that.

the members do not have a responsibility to us to look at announcements and posts on here. we have a responsibility to the members to accommodate them in the way they want to use the site.

kim

Posted on Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:34 pm

for the record, i'm happy to help with ideas on this one... but if members want this comment area, then a member needs to be on top of this vote.

i would like to see this happen, but the ball is in your court.

if the vote gets posted we'll go with an announcement or a KC sticky, or both.

kim

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2