HP6-1, graduated JPL and more...
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 106

HP6-1, graduated JPL and more...
Posted on Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:44 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'm continuing my way up the HP ladder.
HP 6-1 bracelet in various shades of blue anodized niobium.
18awg/8.0mm rings.

Earrings, also HP 6-1. Gold-filled and sterling silver with dagger beads.
22awg/5.0mm rings.

Graduated JPL bracelet in sterling silver.
12-20awg rings. Stats below.

Long Graduated JPL earrings in sterling silver.
14-24awg rings. Stats below.

Sharon's Flowers earrings in sterling silver.
22 and 18awg rings.
This is not my design! And because Alchemist's Star sells kits, I won't be giving out the ring sizes I used. Mine are smaller than the ones her kits make, but I like smaller earrings.

Graduated JPL rings
12awg/5.5 and 6.0mm
14awg/4.5, 4.75 and 5.0mm
16awg/3.5, 3.75 and 4.0mm
18awg/2.75, 3.0 and 3.25mm
20awg/2.25, 2.35 and 2.5mm
22awg/1.75, 1.87 and 2.0mm
24awg/1.4, 1.5 and 1.6mm

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 6

Posted on Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:39 pm

Awesome Lorraine, more eye candy to drool over!! Love it, good work!

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:50 pm

I love the graduated earrings. Those look amazing!

I don't mean to criticize--all of your pieces are beautiful--but I noticed your earrings, at the ends, tend to bunch up. The weave tends to be a little off where you attach things. Every time I do half persian anything it does the same thing. Is it the nature of the weave, or the AR, or is there some way to avoid that? Your bracelet doesn't do it, at least not nearly as much, and it seems to have a tighter AR.

Submissions: 76

Posted on Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:43 pm

Graduated JPL is hot! Thanks for sharing I always enjoy looking at your work. Smile

Submissions: 76

Posted on Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:50 pm

Dinwar wrote:
I noticed your earrings, at the ends, tend to bunch up. The weave tends to be a little off where you attach things. Every time I do half persian anything it does the same thing. Is it the nature of the weave, or the AR, or is there some way to avoid that? Your bracelet doesn't do it, at least not nearly as much, and it seems to have a tighter AR.

Based on my experience I would say it is the nature of the weave. Perhaps graduating the AR toward the end of the HP chain to make it tighter would minimize this stretch. Cutters

Submissions: 4

Posted on Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:58 pm

I believe that's just the nature of the weave. Those last few rings don't have anything to hold them up since the weave is discontinued. You could try using a larger connection loop and grab three rings instead of two. That might be slightly less obvious. For the bracelet, it might be just that it's laying down so you can't tell.

Submissions: 9

Posted on Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:00 pm

I think its the nature of the weave as well. Same thing happens to me. I love the Graduated JPL....I so want to try this, but I haven't gotten regular JPL down yet.

Posted on Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:58 pm

Dinwar wrote:
I don't mean to criticize--all of your pieces are beautiful--but I noticed your earrings, at the ends, tend to bunch up. The weave tends to be a little off where you attach things. Every time I do half persian anything it does the same thing. Is it the nature of the weave, or the AR, or is there some way to avoid that? Your bracelet doesn't do it, at least not nearly as much, and it seems to have a tighter AR.

That bothered me too. I played around with different ring sizes and with catching three or four rings instead. Same story, it distorts the weave a little when hanging. That's why those earrings are not among my favorites. Very Happy That distortion happens on the bracelet at the clasp too. But it's not as noticeable when it is being worn because your eye tends to focus on the rest of the bracelet.

Ferd De Mann - you gotta learn JPL! It's just such a perfect weave. You can to it! *goes all cheerleader-like*.

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 149

Posted on Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:52 am || Last edited by ZiLi on Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

I did also run into that problem (as I made already up to HP10-1, even a step further). And my approach to tackle it was to use smaller rings at the end of the chain to finish off the HP6 chain with one HP4 iteration (of HP4 sized rings), and one HP6 and one HP4 sized ring pair for HP8-1 - the HP10-1 was never made into a jewellery piece and was only a 'can-do' example. And these finish rings solved most of the distortion problem, while admittedly not all of it.

For clarification I marked these two rings in the HP6 sample photo red and green.

P.S.: @Ferd: +1 - you won't rue to put the effort into learning it.

If you don't find another way, make a Spiral 4-1 with an AR of maybe 4 to 5 (you surely can do), then repeat using AR3.5 rings, then go down to 3.1 and play a bit around with distorting the created chains - and at that moment it should make 'click', when you approch a rotation angle of 120 degrees from ring to ring, to have one complete rotation every three rings. Very Happy After that you will see that JPL is in fact one of the easiest weaves one can do, given the useable (real) AR range of ~2.7 to ~3.15 (valid for round wire cross-section) is hit.

BUT DON'T GIVE UP - NEVER EVER

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:20 am

Lovely work! love the graduated piece!
Bravo Uber

Submissions: 337

Posted on Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:10 pm

Lorraine those graduated JPL earrings ROCK!
Superb cratfman(woman)ship and never seen the likes of by me before.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Posted on Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:27 pm

Legba3 wrote:
Lorraine those graduated JPL earrings ROCK!
Superb cratfman(woman)ship and never seen the likes of by me before.

They are really fun to wear too! I love long earrings and these are not heavy at all (even in sterling), so they swing pretty.

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 337

Posted on Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:30 pm

Oh I so want some now but I suspect that my collection of usable mandrels won't cover it. I have a complete set of rods from Kodiak but getting them usable with my set up is the rub.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Posted on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:08 pm

You should be able to use Kodiak's mandrels for most of the "off" sizes. Use #42 for the 2.35mm, #49 for 1.87mm, and #52 for 1.6mm. And I used a straightened piece of 16awg wire for the 1.4mm.

Edit: Oh, I see what you're saying. You mean when you wind the coils. You only need a few of each size, so maybe you can hand wind them on the mandrels?

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 4

Posted on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:12 pm

Love the JPL, bunchy or not....I tried to out do you on your graduated FP and managed to add a few more sizes but I think I will bow out on making any more graduated pieces...even with 100 plus mandrels, I still get stuck on a size or two and wind up (ha ha get it?) frustrated.

Nice colours on the HP, too. 8mm seems huge to me and looks so in the pic, but it really is quite lovely.

Kudos, darlin'

Wink

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next