Bracelets: HP 5-1 and JPL5x2
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 106

Bracelets: HP 5-1 and JPL5x2
Posted on Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:21 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

HP 5-in-1 in 18awg/8.0mm sterling and copper rings.

JPL5x2 (not to be confused with JPL5) 0.8mm wire, 8.4mm ID, AR 10.5, Bronze

This is the first toggle clasp I have made. I really like how it came out.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 76

Posted on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:50 pm

LOVE that toggle clasp!!! Surprised May I steal idea to make in stainless?? Seriously, I am making very simple toggles in stainless and they are nice, but I would like to do something more "fancy". Hrmm, "the Lorraine Clasp"...has a nice ring to it! Coif Smiley

Submissions: 6

Posted on Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:14 am

Lo, outdone yourself girl. Hey, the JPL looks strikingly like viking knit by the way....good stuff!

The clasp is really nice. Does it hold up well?

Posted on Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:33 am

Pfeiffer wrote:
LOVE that toggle clasp!!! Surprised May I steal idea to make in stainless?? Seriously, I am making very simple toggles in stainless and they are nice, but I would like to do something more "fancy". Hrmm, "the Lorraine Clasp"...has a nice ring to it! Coif Smiley

That's sweet Pfeiffer, but if you start calling it the "Lorraine Clasp", I will hunt you down and set you on fire. Very Happy Razz Seriously, all I did was wind some wire around some wire and make a toggle clasp. Copy at will. I can't possibly be the first one to have made it.

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 76

No, but seriously...
Posted on Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:42 am

The connecting eye on the loop side is different from any I have seen. Interesting way to do it and very strong too, I think. As always, thanks for posting I enjoy looking at your work.

Posted on Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:43 am

Carys wrote:
Lo, outdone yourself girl. Hey, the JPL looks strikingly like viking knit by the way....good stuff!

The clasp is really nice. Does it hold up well?

Heh, now that I look at it, it does look a little like viking knit.

The bronze is from TRL. It's pretty springy and takes a lot of effort to bend. So I think it is strong and will stand up to wear and tear. Only time will tell.

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 79

Posted on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:31 am

good job on the lorraine clasp!

/me spreads gasoline around

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:15 am

Those are beautiful but I too was drawn to that clasp. I make my own but that one is just too cool. The thing I like most is that it has a masculine look so it could be used on mens bracelets. I have a hard time finding masculine clasps for them.

Submissions: 149

Posted on Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:48 pm

That clasp is a well made one, doubtless a piece of jewellery in its own right, but in my personal opinion it's a bit oversized and stilistic somewhat an 'alien element' attached to that chain. At the moment it looks like an eyecatcher, but also as something to snag - usually at the worst moment. So if that was my bracelet I would prefer that toggle clasp being somewhere around two thirds of the size shown here - or even another, less obtrusive type of clasp, not distracting from that unique chain.

Lorraine: Don't feel bad about my opinion, it's only one of a 'gazillion' of possible, different opinions you could read about - so don't worry.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 337

Posted on Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:08 am

Awesome, weaves and clasp but how the hell do you weave HP5in1 and why is it not in the library?

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Posted on Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:38 am || Last edited by ZiLi on Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

HP5-1 is easy if you get it started - it's the same progression to HP3-1, as HP6-1 is to HP4-1. I wove this one (just not as perfect as she did) already, as well as the straight HPs up to 10-1, so I might even appreciate it more than maybe other people. What I didn't get yet is 7-1 - I guess Lorraine will be first here as well.

And I agree: HP5-1 as first progression step of a base weave should enter the library, while higher iterations shouldn't, as the progression principle remains the same - just increase ring AR by 2 to 2.5, and weave... Lorraine should just publish it.

Edit for the doubters: A sample piece done during the last 5 minutes...

(Click thumb to get large image)

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

-'me

Submissions: 7

Posted on Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:54 am

ta-da ---->hp5in1 Very Happy

Posted on Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:29 pm

Maybe we should/could replace the image - mine shows start and end of the weave, and should make reproduction a bit easier (the 'on-a-wire' method works really well. Very Happy I would allow to use it, if we get cohort's consent for replacement.

-ZiLi-

-'me

Posted on Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:00 am

ZiLi wrote:
That clasp is a well made one, doubtless a piece of jewellery in its own right, but in my personal opinion it's a bit oversized and stilistic somewhat an 'alien element' attached to that chain. At the moment it looks like an eyecatcher, but also as something to snag - usually at the worst moment. So if that was my bracelet I would prefer that toggle clasp being somewhere around two thirds of the size shown here - or even another, less obtrusive type of clasp, not distracting from that unique chain.

Lorraine: Don't feel bad about my opinion, it's only one of a 'gazillion' of possible, different opinions you could read about - so don't worry.

-ZiLi-

Zili, don't be silly! I welcome your and anyone elses critiques. I agree, the toggle could stand to be a little smaller. It was the first one that came out looking good enough to put on the bracelet, so that's what I went with. That's the great thing about making findings, you can make them just the size you need. Very Happy

Lorraine's Chains

Posted on Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:18 am

Legba3 wrote:
Awesome, weaves and clasp but how the hell do you weave HP5in1 and why is it not in the library?

I saw a pic of an HP5-1 bracelet somewhere and thought "that's not in the library". But sure enough it was.

You know how you start off HP4-1 with 3 rings on 1 ring arranged like this?

Well, you start off HP5-1 with 4 rings on 1 arranged much the same way, with each added copper ring stacked under the previous copper ring.

Then continue in the usual HP way by adding a top stack ring (silver) along with a bottom stack ring (copper), keeping the rings stacked properly.

Lorraine's Chains

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 3. Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next