BOD VOTE: multilingual submissions
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Admin Discussion

Should non-english versions of submissions be allowed?
allow non-english submissions (with english translation)
66%
 66%  [ 8 ]
do not allow non-english submissions
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 12

Submissions: 79

BOD VOTE: multilingual submissions
Posted on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:48 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

so, the vote, as i understand it, is on whether or not to allow non-english language translations to be submitted -in parallel- with the english version as an option.

for example:

a member may submit in both english and another language.

or

a member may submit in their native tongue, and an admin will babelfish an english translation. with the option of a human who is familiar with the original language revising the automated (babelfish, etc) translation for added clarity.

i'm sure that there are those who could have worded this better, but i think that we all understand the basic jist. the practical side is that there will always be some sort of english translation parallel to the non-english version.

the original discussion thread may be found:
http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=14687

voting automatically makes you cool.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 149

Posted on Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:56 pm

As member with English NOT being my mother's tongue, I am OBLIGED to vote YES - provided there is ALWAYS also an English language version of the description, as that is, and shall remain the host language of M.A.I.L.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 75

Posted on Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:39 am

I voted yes to the theory of having non-English versions, but do think that further thought needs to be put into how this will be administered. For example, will native/bilingual speakers be needed to vet the articles, or will we just go with Babelfish? How to handle words that Babelfish doesn't know? Will we translate existing submissions? Will we need the original submitter's permission to translate?

A lot of this could be decided down the line, so for now I'll vote yes on 'will we have them'.

-phong

-- CGMaille tutorials now hosted here at MAIL! --

Submissions: 149

Posted on Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:44 am || Last edited by ZiLi on Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:05 am; edited 3 times in total

Phong: Imho there will be the NEED for a Human to revise the text - the foreign one as well as the English version, by an admin who speaks that language well enough to find 'easter eggs' - and I KNOW of the TERRIBLE Babelfish translations, that are surely not adequate to our standards - In the parallel thread I already proposed the introduction of a 'request edit/translation' checkbox for submissions - I guess even native speakers sometimes like to have revised their submissions by an editor...

-ZiLi-

Edit: Yellow part added as reply to Phong's answer

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:50 am

ZiLi wrote:
Phong: Imho there will be the NEED for a Human to revise the text - In the parallel thread I already proposed the introduction of a 'request edit/translation' checkbox for submissions - I guess even native speakers sometimes like to have revised their submissions by an editor...

-ZiLi-

I was thinking more along the lines of, how do we know the foreign language version isn't full of blasphemy, etc, if none of us speak the language? Babelfish might not catch all the slang or different connotations, so how will we handle making sure the submission says what it's supposed to say.

More discussion should probably be moved to the discussion thread, to keep it all in once place. Smile

-phong

Submissions: 1

Posted on Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:12 am

Hrm. Poll wording is a bit ambiguous.

I am in favor of allowing people to submit something in any language, and have assistance translating it to English.

I am not in favor of allowing duplicate non-English content in the submission. At least for weaves/articles. For Gallery items, I don't really care.

I voted no, which I think is correct, based on what my preferences are.

Posted on Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:11 am

cynake, your vote was correct based on your prefs.. i was assuming that the content would be in both languages in the same submission, or that is what i put the vote up for, as it seemed that is what was being discussed.

oh, and i knew that you say that the wording wasn't optimal, because you usually do.. Wink i'm okay with that.

kim

Submissions: 72

Posted on Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:36 pm

I believe I'm correct in saying MAIL is an English-based community. We could use a little diversity. I like the idea of multi-lingual subs.

Personally, I'd like to see the other-than-English description in it's own little box. To me, this just makes it easier to identify, especially with our friends who seem abhorrently opposed to capitalization and punctuation.

~Mical~ Coif Smiley

Posted on Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:40 pm

mical
i have no idea what you are talking about

kim Coif LoL

Submissions: 3

Posted on Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:36 pm

Kim, probably wouldn't help, but we could run those *funnylongwords, at the end of Mical's post through babelfish or somesuch...

Kodiak-

"Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty, find opportunity."
Chaincraft Mandrels

Submissions: 106

Posted on Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:36 pm

Alright guys, cut it out! You're making me laugh so much it hurts. Laughing

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:56 am

*backs away from lorraine, puts the power drill away*

Submissions: 244

Posted on Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:31 am

Multilingual submissions sounds awesome to me, but they will have to be proof read by a trusted person who speaks the language in question. It could get tricky in a technical article.

I'm sure I could volunteer my girlfriend to do occaisional proof reading. She's somewhat familiar with maille and speaks several languages, but is a native English speaker.

German
Russian
Italian
Korean
French

www.mailletec.com

Y'know, that might just be crazy enough to work!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1