My new recumbent trike
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Chat

Submissions: 72

Posted on Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:38 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Nearly everything was done by eye and feel. I just decided to take it one little step at a time. I used this guy's site for inspiration and direction: http://steubenswheelmen.blogspot.com/

As for steering and pedals: They're kind of a booger. I'll get some pictures up so you can see what I did.

Posted on Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:22 pm

Here are the pics of the drive mechanism, and the steering arm.

Right side of the bike showing the chain and chain-taming sprockets:

Right, front:

This is one side of the steering arm. Basically, I just welded a wingnut to a piece of 1/8" X 1" steel strap and bolted it to a steel tab welded to the bearing housing. It's all adjustable to correct little steering problems that develop.

This is my over-steering preventer. Just an eye bolt welded on to a bracket. The steering arm goes through the eye bolt, and tabs welded to the steering arm hit the eye bolt to prevent over-steering.

Like I said, everything was done one piece at a time, and each problem was solved as it came up. There was hardly any planning put into this, other than just my imagination.

~Mical~ Coif Smiley

Submissions: 93

Posted on Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:17 pm

Huh! All that chain just hangs down there, and doesn't jump the gears or get caught in stuff?!?! That's been the part that worried me the most...

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

— George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Posted on Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:44 pm

That was a worry of mine as well in the beginning. I just figured that it can be done, and I'm gonna do it...

If I pedal backwards quickly or hit bumps really fast the chain falls away from the sprocket under the seat. I'm thinking about putting some guide-pins in there or something to keep it from moving side to side.

The hanging part of the chain seems to be fine. It rubs on the tire sometimes when it swings, but that hasn't caused problems. The little "shifter gears" on the back wheel keep the chain in place so it doesn't jump gears.

Cynake, you can see the hinge behind and under the seat. I used to have a spring shock behind the seat where that square tubing is, but found it was totally useless. Most of my weight was toward the front which also made the brake useless. After removing the spring, I found the brackets I made for it fit together nicely, AND the seat leaned back further and the front end lifted, which made it much more comfortable. It also lifted the chain a bit. A welcome mistake...

~Mical~ Coif Smiley

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2