Captive crystals in chain maille
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Requests

Submissions: 0

Captive crystals in chain maille
Posted on Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:05 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hello,

I am looking for a chain design that can hold captive beads or crystals within. Something not to terribly complicated would be good. I've done a few nice Byzantine and Jens Pind bracelets and want to try something new.

Thank you,

John

Submissions: 149

Posted on Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:26 pm

Well, just search our weave library for 'captive' as keyword - you already used the word in your question... You will find a couple of weaves, like e.g. Captive Inverted Round, that will be able to trap securely not only rings, but also beads. Additionally there are a couple of 'hollow tube' weaves, that can be used as captives as well, but here maybe a 'leading thread' might be necessary.

And no: I won't do your homework, just tell you where to look.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:01 pm

Believe it or not, I did do a search before posting, although I searched the forums, not the weave library, so thanks for that tip. Didn't find quite what I was looking for, hence my question.

I did find this one in the weave library,

http://www.mailleartisans.org/weaves/subcat.cgi?key=1007

It looks like it might be nice, but I don't know how to go about making it. I certainly don't want you to do my work for me, but maybe some other kind person here might have some tips on the weave.

Thanks

Posted on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:17 pm

http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=7793
http://cgmaille.com/tutorials/cir.shtml

The second tutorial link gives you also hints about the ring sizes/AR preferrably to be used. But depending on the beads and wire you have you might have to experiment anyway to find the right ring sizes to get the beads firmly seated.

Hope that helps.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

-'me

Posted on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:59 pm

Excellent! Thank you very much. That's exactly what I was looking for. Now to do some experimenting with ring and crystal sizes and see what works.

Posted on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:24 am

Tip: To avoid the nasty 'un-rolling' of CIR, especially when starting it, begin weaving with a three-ring Moebius as starting point, or use some wire, e.g. a paperclip bent into form to fix the starting rings in the right location and direction. And thre's somewhere an article on MAIL (would need to search for), that shows how to make nice clasps useable for these round weaves - such a clasp is also an optimal starting point.

-ZiLi-

-'me

Posted on Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:41 pm

Thanks for the tips. I like the idea of using the clasp as a starting point. I'll see if I can locate those instructions here.

Posted on Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:23 am

look HERE ...

-ZiLi-

-'me

Submissions: 9

Posted on Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:09 am

That clasp is an interesting concept, I've never seen anything like it before. I'll have to add this to my ever growing list of things to try.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:21 am

Here is what I did with the CIR:

I used 18ga. 5.0mm EC and 4mm Swarovski bicone beads. I actually got the tutorial from JewelryLessons.com. You use beading wire to string the beads attaching a ring at one end and finishing it with a loop that you can fit a ring through. Then you weave around the beads. If you want more info I can probably get it for you.

Posted on Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:52 am

KarensJewelry wrote:
Here is what I did with the CIR: [...] I used 18ga. 5.0mm EC and 4mm Swarovski bicone beads. I actually got the tutorial from JewelryLessons.com. You use beading wire to string the beads attaching a ring at one end and finishing it with a loop that you can fit a ring through. Then you weave around the beads. If you want more info I can probably get it for you.

Well, that is a little bit cheated, while looking well. In that one the string of beads is held only laterally, but the single beads are NOT locked/captivated by the weave. In a 'real' CIR weaving the wire would not even be necessary (or only needed as guide wire for aligning the bicones in a straight orientation), as every CIR cell would have one 'inhabitant', sitting locked in place by the weave itself.

But anyway: The result is convincing nevertheless, and we can take that example as a hint, that a premade string of beads may be a good weaving guide.

-ZiLi-

-'me

Posted on Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:25 pm

Yes Zili it does lose the natural purpose of the weave. But you must consider the source here. It is from a jewelry group not a maille group. They have a totally different mind set. But I don't see why if you found the correct size beads that you couldn't make it captive instead of strung on wire.

I must add that this was the second piece I made and it is what got me started doing chain maille.

Posted on Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:18 pm

Well, as I told already, the result convinces, and that's all what counts in the end. Well done.

-ZiLi-

-'me

Posted on Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:44 pm

Two more pieces of advice, from someone who's still fighting that weave:

1.) Start with a fair stretch with just the outside rings. It gives you something to hold on to, and prevents the unrolling from the back (ie, as you move forward you don't have to worry about the first stuff you did collapsing).

2.) Hang it from a hook. That way you can see how it naturally lies, and it'll hold its shape better. Gravity is your friend. Smile

Both pieces of advice I got here, at least one from ZiLi. Listen to ZiLi, for he is wise. Coif Smiley (And if you're female, I apologize and can only blame it on learning French.)

Good luck! Jewelry like that always looks amazing.

Posted on Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:04 pm

Thanks Dinwar. I actually found that this was easiest to make hanging it from a hook, at least for the first several inches. So that is great advice!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next