Elves DO leave tracks!
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 149

Elves DO leave tracks!
Posted on Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:40 pm || Last edited by ZiLi on Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi, here are some further, maybe new members of the Elfweave/Elvenrope family.

In all members of this family the chain is based on two 1-1-1 chains, paralleled in a mirrored pattern, to result in a 'VAVAVA...' pattern seen lengthwise - I am unable to explain it better, but see the tutorial (link setzen) for Elven Rope.
In standard Elven Rope aka 'Dark Elf' (shown on top for comparison) the rings connecting the two base chains run through the eyes of both chains, and then inside the next-to-last ring pair on the wide side of 'V'.The variants I show here have the connector ring also running through both eyes, but differ in the positioning of the other side of the connector ring.

My first variant (lower one) is much similar, with the slight difference, that here the connector runs through the narrow side (bottom tip) of the 'V'. I already called this variant in a former post 'Bright Elf'. But this variant is, despite looking well, a bit problematic, as it tends to shift in a trapezoidal distortion when lying flat - and has TWO semi-stable positions. I deliberately laid the chain 'flipped' in the photo to show this shift. So this weave is imho not really useable, except for people who don't care about. Dark Elf has this tendency as well, but here it is much less pronounced.

So I looked for a solution for this, and found one by combining features of classical Elfweave and Bright Elf - I just slipped the connector ring beneath only one branch of the 'V', and one above, like on classical Elfweave - I call it 'front' or 'rear' ring when slipping it through. That locks the weave's trapez shift reliably in place - and looks just different, again. There are two mirrored variants, and due to this isomery the weave itself shows a natural tendency to twist a bit, direction dependent on which weaving direction is chosen. Maybe Legba3 (who got a sample bracelet as gift) can tell you more, or can explain better than I am able to. The two variants are shown in the next sample chain pair.

What about that twisting? Well, there's also a solution. If we have two mirrored variants of a weave, bearing different twist direction, we may combine both, woven alternatively. The last two sample chains are examples of this technique; the upper one woven in alternating FFRRFFRR... pattern, the bottom one in FFFRRRFFFRRR... Both result in a 'braided' look; and other variants are possible.

BTW: I already TRIED to weave the 'simple' FRFRFR... variant, that promised also to look well, but this one stiffened soon - maybe changing to a slightly higher AR could help, maybe the connector rings need to be a bit enlarged compared to the base chain ones, as I have a slight suspicion, that geometry speaks against that one without tweaking connector ring size - independent of AR used. I have yet to look into this issue.

Oh, may I name them as well? It is said, that Elves don't leave tracks - to contradict that, I call this 'locked Elfweave/rope' variant 'ELVEN TRACK'. And I guess, that they do - due to current definition being based on ring interaction - qualify as weave, and not only as variant (the examples in bottom image are variants of, while top and center image show imho valid, independent weaves).

Stats: Stainless 0.8*~3.75mm (#29 mandrel), AR~4.7.
Have fun, and don't hesitate to ask, discuss, and reproduce.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 337

Posted on Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:10 pm

I will add more to this when I've had a chance to really look at it properly (kids on half term from school!) But a quick first impression is that I like the variation with the slight twist more.

Awesome work ZiLi these are truly lovely.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 1

Posted on Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:22 am

this looks like a GREAT new weave, but I do better with pics than words.
any chance for close-ups or less shiny or something pics so I can analyze it easier?

thanks!

Posted on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:28 am

Cindy: Yes, I will try to provide something resembling a tut - I just have to use some etched, and etched/ano Aluminium rings for weaving new samples, refine my photo equipment, and maybe try my luck with a drawing program - but a 3D render tut is out of reach at the moment, as I may have access to the software, but not yet the knowledge to use any of these programs. And I simply prefer weaving real rings over virtual ones, anyway...

btw: I seem unable to name consitently my first, unlocked variant, that 'ignited' that all - sometimes I use 'Light Elf', sometimes 'Bright Elf', tending more to the second - but WHAT does the audience like more?

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

-'me

Posted on Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:55 pm

I like 'Bright'

These may be of some help. I did not make these ZiLi did and was kind enough to send them to me for the Birthday Club.

This is Elven Track that has a slight twist.

Side view.

Variation without twist.

Side view.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Posted on Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:44 pm

THAAAANK You... (for showing the bad closings) Very Happy

-ZiLi-

-'me

Posted on Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:53 pm

Oops sorry (not that I can see many)

Maille Code

Posted on Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:19 pm

SARA!!!!!111111.....

Just note that I showed a green, grinning face....

-ZiLi-

-'me

Posted on Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:41 pm

lol Very Happy

halp i'm trapped in bubble

Maille Code

Submissions: 1

Posted on Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:31 am

Thanks for the pictures Sara!

I can see I have many more weaves to try now. I am not sure which version I will like better. By the pictures, I think elven track...I like the side view better...but I guess I better start at the beginning and work my way through the family. I only did my first elfweave last weekend...and haven't done the rope yet.

busy busy busy Coif Smiley

Posted on Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:23 pm

HALP ZiLi please, I'm getting a headache.
Please please I need a tut!

Maille Code

Submissions: 74

Posted on Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:34 pm

is it time for me to make one? i can see how this is done .new pix help too.

i'll knock some cgi around for you's, its simple once you can see the patter clearly.

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 57

Posted on Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:14 pm

Lol Zili, great minds must think alike, sadly I regret to inform you that elf tracks is already in the library under
Frayed elven rope I kinda like the name Elf tracks better though, and would not be adverse to amending the name , in the library, provided you approved? The description I gave, could stand some amending too.

Posted on Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:27 pm

ok, next attempt - showing the principal connector ring setting in the three Elves I dealt with; note the asymmetric ring shift of the basis chains, so the connector ring CAN be set above one, and beneath the other ring. And it should be clear, that after every connector ring that is woven in, the chain has to be rotated 180 degrees...

left: Dark Elf aka Elven Rope; center: Bright Elf; right: Elven Track

Hope that helps, until I made and photographed sample chains using colored rings.

@MaxumX: I would be honored, if someone who has experience in a field I don't have any in, uses his talents to fill a gap that I am not (yet) able to fill myself. So feel free to provide a CGI tut (Hint: I would be pleased if I could see a preview before submission).

-ZiLi-

-'me

Submissions: 74

RE: Tutorial
Posted on Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:34 pm || Last edited by MaxumX on Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

indeed it is. y it take you so long to speek up!..Very Happy

okay i got a tut ready

normal coloring key

Start with two 2in1 chains

flip the two chains so that the line up to each other like so, this is the same alinment you use for Std elfweave

Weave in you first ring just as you would for std elf weave, but also weave it thru the back ring of the previose section.

do the same on the back side/bottom side depending how you look at it.

Repeat

Repeat

think thats right..;p

EDIT: Adding one varent
Aline the first ring at the back of the section to start with in lue of the frunt. and contiunue as b4.

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next