View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Group Projects

Submissions: 79

Posted on Sat Jan 01, 2000 5:00 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

hmm.. so i was wondering where these would be assembled.. the idea first was to send them to lord charles to be put together at the dc wireworks gathering..

i think this would work if there were going to be any submitting members at that gathering. if not perhaps we should formulate a different plan.

so far there are 3 or 4 patches.. the x nihil, myself, whodo, i think odin said he was close, and there is another patch that i know of still floating around... and a few others have talked about starting..

perhaps there could be a gathering for this sole purpose? asembling the quilt.. set for a couple years form now or something? the patches seem to be being made slowly.

kim

Submissions: 83

Yeah, I know... first hand. Smile Strange that I think about it often enough, but never seem to get moving ahead as I want to... still, I think he biggest danger posed to any project of this sort is loss of momentum. Put it off, put it off, put if off... well, you can see where that can lead. I think that a date in the relative near future (inside a year certainly) should be set at which time all that has been done should be put together somewhere, by someone. I think that the project should be left open for a long time after, but having an actual completed piece which can be photograpged, visited, touched, etc. etc. might be useful is keeping people's interest properly focused.

Submissions: 4

I think iam gonna add the little piece of Postapocalyptic 4-1 bottle cap scalemail that i made today while loafing about at work to my piece Smile

[ This Message was edited by: Fenrisulv on 2002-04-17 15:40 ]

Sounds good. Have you got a picture of that? I'd be interested in seeing if it looks anything like what I've been working at (on and off like all 30 or so of mu on-going projects). After going to a local recylcing center a couple of times to dig through their cans for tops, they gave me several big bags full they had collected. I'm most of the way done with a full length over vest made from tabs.

Which reminds me, I intended to do an article on making lamellar like stuff from pop tabs... I should get to that.

I've got the tab top article up, so if you want to compare how I've done it, just look at the pictures there.

Submissions: 7

I'm not sure about everyone else, but I'm waiting for inspiration. I've finally a few different metals (copper, brass, galv.) but I'm not sure of what to do with them yet. I don't think anyone else wants to do anything boring.

Sure, sure, one want's their contribution to be just right. On the other hand, if what you do represents you as a creator, by using the materials or weaves that you use most often or are most comfortable with, I think that's as good (if not better) then forcing something off beat for the sake of it. If one has only been mailling for 4 weeks, has 150 feet of 14 guage galvanzied wire and some bolt cutters, then some plain 4-1 is probably what they should send it. We all started somewhere and that is a good representation of what it is to be starting out. (Or even all you do. For some people maille is half a dozen weaves and those used mostly for armour. That's fine. That's their experience.) I just don't think every square made has to be made with 24 different weaves. My thinking about it is that everyone should just do what they feel is most natural for them.

At least, that's my feeling about it.

Say Kim, you'r piece is, if I'm not mistaken, in the gallery section right now isn't it? Should we move it, or a copy, over to the Alpha project page?

[ This Message was edited by: Aderamelech on 2002-04-20 14:05 ]

Submissions: 0

Umm...sorry Aderamelech but I think kim is gonna be gone for awhile...until late summer early fall I think he said. Don't expect a reply any time soon.

The road to happyness was torn down to make space for a corporate giant.

Ok, thanks. I missed that. But that's hardly out of the ordinary for him. But good to know that we shouldn't wait for him to do it himself.

Submissions: 4

Aderamelech: It looks more like penny mail but i smashed the caps flat then snipped a bit so i just got a small tab that connects to the mail.I also bent the tab 90 deegres and punched a hole in it.Il try and find it and put in the scanner so i can post a copple a pictures and also how i made it since its i good design for breastplate type armour because its so stiff.

Great, I'd love to see. Sounds like you've done it a bit closer to some of the instruction sets I've seen (which I think are more accurate for scale type armour), especially that 90 degree bend bit. Once you get a picture or two, maybe you should consider strining a few informative words together to go with them, *nudge toward articles*. Smile

Posted on Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:05 pm

we should have someone to send patches to, even if that someone is me.. i'm tired of owning a lonely maille patch.. it wants company!! i dont care if i send it out or get others sent in..

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Posted on Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:03 pm

ok i'll do it.. i am a bit weary of my one patch having no home.

i'll email those who i know made a patch, and see if either they want the task of assembly, and if not i'll do it.

i'll have an address up once i talk to them..

kim

Posted on Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:24 am

I'll ugh, get mine together as well..

If no one else volunteers, I'll certainly get things put together (although I have no stainless at the moment..)

There are only 2 things in life that we can be assured of: Somethings will never stop changing, and some things will never change.

Posted on Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:07 am

we could have a US and a canada reciever..?
i don't know if the number of patches we'll have coming in warrants that.

but either way

kim

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 3. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next