W.I.R.E. It's time.
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Wire Arts

Submissions: 1

Posted on Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:53 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I would love if soldering wire and some torch/bench work techniques could be included on this site. for instance--Talia's instructions on doing the balls on the ends of your wine glass charm holder thingies.

I'd help but I don't know what I could offer. I am just learning now. If you can think of something for a clueless newbie to do..I'm in! Razz

Submissions: 12

Posted on Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:57 am

ORS- love the banner, esp the woven strip. Can't wait to see what else you've got percolatin' Smile . You know, I really liked that collage you posted on Maillers Worldwide....

Banner- anyone else? I wouldn't be surpised if we find other spots for nifty graphics, too.

I've also got a couple of ideas but just need to make time to put into it.

Cindy- I think that a work up on basic soldering/fusing would be fantastic.

I have more to post, but it will have to be later. I've gotta run....

Maille Code V1.0 T5.1 R3.6 Feur MAg.t Wcmi Cjwc G2.0/0.6 I38.1/2.5 Pj Dj S99 CCips

Submissions: 50

Posted on Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:09 am

Whatever you end up using, make sure it plays well together. Learn from the mistakes that M.A.I.L. has gone through.

In general, I also like the concept behind M.A.I.L.'s organization, and with the changes that are coming, it sounds real good. I'm not sure if y'all have the same level of skills and resources available for the design and startup of W.I.R.E., though.

I don't know that I'd be much help other than throwing out my thoughts. Like several others, I have a little bit of experience with page construction, but I have yet to really finish anything I set out to do when it comes to web stuff Smile

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Submissions: 3

Posted on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:46 am

It's only gunna be version one >_<

Posted on Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:58 am

Okay, so I've been trying to work on the Getting Started section, but I'm finding myself swimming in detail! It's like I want to put everything in there, and so I keep trying to pull myself back to 'just the essentials,' but then I get carried away again.

So I've got an idea and I need help to do it:
Everybody, please start asking the questions you asked (or are asking) when you were new to wire work. Just shoot 'em out there. Then I'll pull them into categories and then we'll look at getting some articles and tuts together.

I think I've developed a sudden case of ADD, 'cuz I can't focus in on this for anything. All questions appreciated! Very Happy

Maille Code V1.0 T5.1 R3.6 Feur MAg.t Wcmi Cjwc G2.0/0.6 I38.1/2.5 Pj Dj S99 CCips

Posted on Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:14 am

oh I should be good at this part since I am still new and have a ton of questions!! here's a start...

what sizes of wire and tempers are good for wire wrapping stones?
(a chart with hardness of wire would be good. I think Charlie has one with some info on his site he might share)

what do you wrap with? if a round nose pliers, how to keep from getting the marks on the wire that I seem to get whenever I try.

discussion of work hardening, annealing, what to do if your wire gets too hard while trying to wrap....or hammering/softening/hammer some more--that sort of thing

if you use dead soft wire--how to harden it after wrapping--if it needs it.

a good description of the work area and tools used would be great.

I will add more as I think of them.

Submissions: 15

Posted on Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:26 am

If yall need any help with anything, let me know. I've had a little bit of experiance with programming and web stuff. At least i've taken a year of it in high school so far, so i should have an idea.

"What's the point of livin' if you don't try?"
"Life goes exactly as you hadn't planned it."
"Don't look back at what might have been, and what you coulda done."

Posted on Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:19 am

I'm going to be unpluggled this weekend. I'm going to visit my Aunt on a neighboring island, without cell reception, no computer. Smile

Everybody keep asking those beginners questions!

Posted on Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:59 am

I had an idea for the banner. not sure it is doable since I have only done tiny amounts of programming....

I think it would be fantastic if we could have an ever changing banner that showcased the work of the members. have a center section with WIRE text and whatever needed to be there all the time. then have maybe 2 images on each side of it that changed every time the page loaded. I think it could work (maybe...see above) if we had a bunch of pre-approved images of the same size all in a certain location and had a script that loaded a random image from that location each time.

Submissions: 57

Posted on Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:09 pm

Here is my #1 beginner ?
How the Frag did he/she pull that off.
the next banner should be ready by Monday

Submissions: 96

Posted on Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:02 pm

Ok, here are some more of those questions you asked for, Talia:

1) What kind of pliers do I need?

2) Do I use square or round wire for wire-wrapping?

3) What wire gauges are best for wire-wrapping?

4) How do I know how much wire I'll need when wire-wrapping?

5) How do I wrap unusually shaped free-form cabs?

6) Where do I find supplies?

7) What wire hardness is best for wire-wrapping and Viking knit?

Uber What other tools might I need for wire-work?

9) I want to learn to make finger rings, what tools will I need?

10) How do I know what sizes to make bracelets/necklaces/etc. in?

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Amazon Author Page

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:53 am

I can easily do some Tuts and gallery pics, I teach at a bead and jewelry supply store and do all the wire classes there, so I have a lot of tuts already typed up with pics etc. Some things I already have written up, basic bangles, beaded bangles, intricate (isis) bangle with square wire, findings, head pins 4 or 5 styles, ear wires several styles, cab wrapping free form and structured, finger rings both simple and complex, beaded and not beaded, tree of life pendants, herringbone weave with beads, viking knit, and using viking knit to wrap a cab. I think several others but I would have to go through my list. I wouldn't mind being a mod or something either, can devote 7-14 or more hours a week.

I would love to see a section with a searchable or state based list of all suppliers, and stores that offer classes in wire work. I know that would be labor intensive to keep up, but it would be great. I know when I travel I am constantly keeping my eyes open and doing internet searches for places to stop by along the way. Also, maybe a list of colleges that offer wire working classes.

Brittany

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:17 am

Great ideas! I'll look into adding another section for that, maybe a link on the homepage. The more tuts the better Wink

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:23 pm

I can do some flower tutorials, the rose which I posted as well as daises and daffodils. (I did get the rose from a book but I modified it quite a bit.) I'll have a few images I can submit.

My University (Northern MI) teaches a jewelry class, I'm not sure how much wire work is in it since I'll be taking it in two months and don't know yet.

Also there's a bead store in Marquette that I think teaches a viking knit class.

Submissions: 96

Posted on Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:05 pm

Gwen wrote:

My University (Northern MI) teaches a jewelry class, I'm not sure how much wire work is in it since I'll be taking it in two months and don't know yet.

Likely none. Pretty much all college jewelry classes will focus on the traditional jewelry making forms (although taking them in a contemporary direction) such as casting, enameling, soldering, gem setting, etc. Also, NMU's jewelry department is a combination of jewelry,metalsmithing, and blacksmithing so it will definitely have an emphasis on the smithing/casting techniques. (I briefly considered going to NMU for jewelry, but didn't care for it being combined with blacksmithing.)

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Amazon Author Page

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 4. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next