W.I.R.E. It's time.
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Wire Arts

Submissions: 12

W.I.R.E. It's time.
Posted on Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:21 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I just received the following message from drac0 regarding getting WIRE up and running:
drac0 wrote:
I read through the admin posts occasionally and noticed my name brought up. Yes, I was starting it up but it didn't get up before I left for boot camp. I would really like to see it up before I go to japan in about 4 months.

If you could relay what I'm saying that would be great. I'm still up to putting it together as WIRE working needs to be separated from MAIL as it's a non-maille entity.

I would like to get a general idea of what everyone would like to see implemented in the site. I would draw up a rough sketch and post it. I want to get started with this asap.

So we have four months to get this baby launched.

The first thing we need is CONTENT.
If anyone has articles, tutorials or gallery submissions, now is the time to get them ready (if they're not already ready to go) and post here a description of what you have to submit. Then drac0 can block a space for it on the WIRE rough scetch. Once he's got the site ready to accept submissions, we'll post a call for submissions. But for now, it would be a really big help if we could give him a good idea of what to expect so that he can plan for it.

And we need VOLUNTEERS.
This may include contacting people who have written wire-related articles, etc., and asking if they would like to contribute to WIRE, it may include helping with organizational details. These are just two things that come to mind right now. I'm sure there will be many more things that come up along the way. But volunteering will definately require some of your time. If you have time to give and are so inclined, please post an honest estimation of how much and for how long you think you will be able to help out.

We will need A COOL BANNER.
Quoting drac0, "No need to worry about color scheme or anything, just make sure it's WIRE related and shows the best of your ablitly!" If you come up with a design you would like to submit for consideration, please upload it to an off-site host and post your url link here. On July 15th, I will post a polling thread which we will leave open for one week and the winner will be selected by popular vote.

We will need IDEAS.
If you have any ideas for special features you would like to see, please post them here! We have the unique opportunity to build this site from the bottom up. Just like MAIL, WIRE will be a community effort. If there is something you would like to see included on WIRE, by all means, please offer your ideas! Of course there is the possibility that not all suggestions will be adopted, but it would really stink if WIRE were to miss out on a great opportunity because someone with a cool idea didn't post it.

So please use this thread to post your input. Nothing here is written in stone- this is all about brainstorming, gathering ideas and people, and rounding out the basic structure that drac0's already developed so that we can get to the next step, the rough sketch. The more we put into it now, the more swiftly we will be able to move forward to the later stages.

And please do check this forum frequently as there will likely be lots of updates. And did I mention to please leave lots of input?

Previous related threads:
What does the W.I.R.E. stand for?
W.I.R.E.?

Maille Code V1.0 T5.1 R3.6 Feur MAg.t Wcmi Cjwc G2.0/0.6 I38.1/2.5 Pj Dj S99 CCips

Posted on Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:35 am

So, I'll go first...

Content:
I can contribute my Coil Clasp tutorial and several gallery images, including a jellyfish, an egyptian coil bracelet with a wire rose centerpiece, a few wire-wrapped cabs, a set of wine stem baubles, earwires, a hammered soldered-link chain necklace and a wire lanyard weave. I will eventually finish an article on a work-in-progress consisting of my process for an intricate wrapped cab assemblage. As I have more submissions ready to go, I will post these as well.

Time:
I can commit to up to an hour a day, six days a week (quite likely more) until this gets off the ground, and then likely 3hrs+ a week after that. This is an estimation, of course, based on my current schedule of responsibilities.

Ideas:
I'd like to see a section focused specifically on the issues we all encounter in running a business where we can seek and offer support and advice, like pricing, table tips and customer service questions.

Maille Code V1.0 T5.1 R3.6 Feur MAg.t Wcmi Cjwc G2.0/0.6 I38.1/2.5 Pj Dj S99 CCips

Submissions: 337

Posted on Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:44 am

I already have a tut written for Egyptain coil. I can give some time but know nothing about site coding.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Posted on Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:53 am

Legba3 wrote:
I already have a tut written for Egyptain coil. I can give some time but know nothing about site coding.
And a ton of awesome gallery images?

Submissions: 337

Posted on Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:41 am

Gallery images, yeah.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:31 pm

I'd being willing o give a few hours a week to help out, they'd be fairly late at night due to the fact that i'm about to start 3 jobs. I can help with any coding issues that might be needed and i'm fairly good with programming languages. Just let me know what needs to be done and i'll see if I have the ability to do it Very Happy

Also, what are we using to make the website (ie. joomla, frontpage, pure code, etc)

Submissions: 96

Posted on Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:02 pm

I have a lot of images I can contribute to the gallery and perhaps I can put together some tuts. I don't know any coding, but if there is anyway I can help I would like to. Just let me know what I can do. For the most part I have a lot of time free (at least at the moment). Although some is being taken up with getting ready for a show in Nov., working on some rather large orders, and a possible jewelry apprenticeship with a wire jewelry artist in my area, but I still think I might should be able to help out some if there's something I'm able to do.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Amazon Author Page

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:08 pm

As of right now it's Joomla. I'm researching a bit more to see if there's anything that will benefit us a little bit more than that. I've been trying to get back into website coding, but my knowledge is now very limited...

I'm up at nights on the weekend, and during the week I'm available normally around 1000 to 1200 central (-6). Any later than that and I need to sleep... Class is from 2130 to 0930 normally.

P.S. On top of that, what menu information does everyone feel we need, sections to the site, etc. Just pour your thoughts and wants into this. I'm going to be working on this probably all day and night tonight so ideas are highly encouraged.

I'm really excited about this. No to mention re-motivated. So get movin' Smile

P.P.S. Does everyone agree on Wireworking Information Repository and Exchange? I believe that's what it was supposed to change to.

Posted on Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:35 pm

I love the way MAIL is set up, though I look forward to the weave library and eventually the gallery library(?) being revamped. Being a sister-site, I'd like to see as much as possible of this format carried over.

The main points, specifically, that I'd like to see on WIRE are:
Forums for discussion
-Knitting Circle
-Gallery
-Weaves (which may need a name tweek as it would also need to include forming techniques, knotting, wrapping, etc, not to mention weaving with wire has a different meaning than weaving with rings)
-Articles
-Requests
-Admin Discussion

Libraries
-Articles
-Tutorials
-Gallery
-Weaves, etc.
-FAQ
-Links

I tend to envision the weaves library (for lack of a more fitting title) as including specific examples of what can be done with wire, ie., samples of actual types of weaving techniques (twisting would fall under this category), coils (both flat and tubular, as well as coiled coils), wrapping techniques, finishing techniques... specific examples of the elements used in creating larger pieces that people could then apply to their own creations.

I would also like to see a VERY PROMINENTLY PLACED SECTION ON GETTING STARTED, with a summary of "here's what you need" with links to articles on safety, tools, wire types and some simple "getting started" projects.

In fact, the Getting Started articles would be the most basic and most necessary of what we would need, so I'm thinking that making sure we have these basics should be a priority.

Nárrína- would you be interested in drafting an outline of a Getting Started section? I think an outline in the general format used to write papers would work just fine. From that we could see what we have and what we need. The outline itself would be a work in progress- it would grow and change as more ideas come along, so it wouldn't need to be all-inclusive right off the bat- just something to get us started. Would you be up for that?

eld flagel- maybe you and drac0 could put your heads together to come up with some sort of submission receptacle? That way we could start collecting submissions even if we aren't ready to place them yet. What do you think?

I kind of like the sound of "Wirework International Repository and Exchange," personally.

Posted on Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:55 pm

The Submission section is mostly what's kicking my @$$ at this point. Much frustration comes from it. I'll get working on changing the menu's etc. here in a few. I got sidetracked by maille... like 5 minutes... Hmm...

I agree, a getting started section is probably one of the most important sections of the site as that seems to be what everyone has a problem with >_<...

Well, time to get to it.

No banners yet Sad

Submissions: 57

Posted on Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:57 am

For banner, a nice long shot of a sheet of copper five braid would look cool and with a black background it would be easy to make very print friendly,then have the entire thing framed off with a piece of rather unruly wire border, if this seems like it might be worth it lemme know I can have it done in a few Hours.

BTW I can also volunteer a few Hour s a week to help , Not a coder, but I am willing to help, if I can be of use.

Posted on Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:20 am

I like the idea for the layout. Submit it. I believe Talia wanted to have a few so everyone could vote on them. At the very least it could be a nice placeholder Very Happy I say go for it Very Happy And any help at all is worth it. we only have four months.

Submissions: 7

Posted on Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:56 pm

I'm happy to offer some of my time to working on the site. I'm not much of a coder but I am a fast learner and have had some coding experience. Or, as another option, happy to be a volunteer who works with the site when it's up (i.e. approvals, forum stalking, etc.), unless it's going to be just a general transfer of the admins from here, over to there as well...

Also have a couple gallery images I'd be willing to contribute, and can throw up a quick article on some of the basic techs of wire wrapping.

http://beadmaille.artfire.com/

I scream, you scream, we all scream because we have issues.

Posted on Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:27 pm

If you would like to start on a "Getting Started" section, that would be great.

Submissions: 57

Posted on Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:26 am

Quickly made after, my round of Golf but this was loosely based on what I had described, their are a few other Ideas brewing in that cauldron I call my skull.

I left the type set out cause you will want to choose your own to fit the site.
this was really a quick mock up so any Idea on improvements a really welcome, in hopes to make the next much better.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 4. Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next