Stamping Submissions
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Admin Discussion

Submissions: 20

Stamping Submissions
Posted on Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:02 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Visited the main page today, just to check something (Blaise and I are tracking a bug that showed up out of nowhere...)

And saw: http://www.mailleartisans.org/weaves/subcat.cgi?key=7625

I recall a conversation occuring regarding something like this... But I don't recall the outcome.

Submissions: 337

Posted on Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:00 pm

Ah yes I approved that today, I didn't think about it. Do I need to ask for a non stamped pic?

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:19 pm

I would say yes, get a non-stamped picture. Those are fine for gallery pictures but not for weaves in my opinion.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:55 pm

Just please bear in mind, image uploading currently produces an error.

Please forward anyone with questions about this to the thread in the MAIL Help forum.

Submissions: 75

Posted on Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:47 am

Out of curiosity, what's the difference between putting a watermark like that in the picture, and putting a text one in the description? I don't see why a distinction would be made between prohibiting putting Red Panda's logo in the picture, and allowing "This is a weave by Red Panda Chainmaille" in the description.

I say allow both, or disallow both.

-phong

-- CGMaille tutorials now hosted here at MAIL! --

Submissions: 14

Posted on Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:36 am

I agree with Phong on this matter. I see no difference in it being a part of the description or a part of the pic.

I'll rise, but I won't shine.

Submissions: 149

Posted on Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:24 am

Oh there IS a difference, as image and description can be divided and used as separate parts. But in case of a weave submission I would prefer to have no visible watermarks in the image.

But there are alternatives. So at the moment I do 'exify' all my images (I have the advantage to have nearly all published images hosted on my own site), and contemplate about additional steganographic (=invisible) watermarking as well. And that should be acceptable.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 337

Posted on Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:04 am

I think anything was decided on the text but we did agree that stamping shouldn't be on the pics (I just forgot about that in this case). I have PMed Red Panda and will swap images when I can.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 14

Posted on Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:32 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but what is an invisible watermark?

I'll rise, but I won't shine.

Submissions: 93

Posted on Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:58 pm

Frankly, I think it's a non-issue, as long as you can see the weave clearly...

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

— George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Submissions: 149

Posted on Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:02 pm

DruidQueen wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but what is an invisible watermark?

Just look up the wikipedia article for 'steganography'. Especially note the chapter 'digital steganography'. There will be shown, how information can be hidden, but reproducible if searched for, in a picture. So there is a means for placing an invisible watermark into a photo. If done right, image quality won't even be impaired enough to be noticable.

And there are programs available that do the job.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:00 pm

I just find the stamp on the picture distracting. I don't care if they put a stamp in the description, but I really want the picture to just be a picture. I like things neat and tidy (anal). A row of weave pictures with different stamps in different places is messy. It's just a matter of aesthetics for me.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:10 pm

Legba3 wrote:
I think anything was decided on the text but we did agree that stamping shouldn't be on the pics (I just forgot about that in this case). I have PMed Red Panda and will swap images when I can.

I have to agree with Blaise, I think it's a non-issue as well. If we ask this one member to remove her stamp, then it's only fair to go and ask all the other members who have submits in their profile with stamps on the pics to swap those out as well. Frankly, she could very easily argue unfairness since I have a weave with a stamp on it. It was approved by Tess before I was shackled up, so it's not like I submitted it myself to flout any "rules" which we don't actually have.

I say leave her submit alone.

Submissions: 12

Posted on Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:20 am

It seems to me that if the first thing you see when you look at a picture is the weave (or other submission) then it is a submission. If the first thing you see is a person's logo, it's distracting. I have no problem with the use of watermarks or another form of un-obtrusive marking, but I think the item of submission should absolutely maintain prominance in the image.

In the case of a weave submission, if there is anything there detracting attention from the weave, whether by placement, size, color- whatever, to the point that that the weave is no longer the object of prominance, I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for an image in which the submitted item is the focus of the image.

Maille Code V1.0 T5.1 R3.6 Feur MAg.t Wcmi Cjwc G2.0/0.6 I38.1/2.5 Pj Dj S99 CCips

Submissions: 75

Posted on Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:08 am

I agree that a weave submission should absolutely have the primary focus on the weave. I just think it's a bit of a double standard to say no pictorial watermarks, but text watermarks are ok. For many of the weaves the text description is just as important to understand the weave as the picture itself. Having the first line of the description be "Weave by Such-and-such Chainmaille Inc" is just as distracting as seeing a logo in the corner of the picture. The purpose of the weave submission is not to promote a business; whether it's done pictorially or textually shouldn't matter.

-phong

-- CGMaille tutorials now hosted here at MAIL! --

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next