Summary of Finances
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Fund Raising

Submissions: 3

Summary of Finances
Posted on Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:19 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Paypal account balance is at $1581.77

Over the past 5 years the balance has steadily increased. We should consider spending some money Smile.

Donation within the past year:
May 31, 2009 Maille Mystique $50.00 USD
May 29, 2009 Heinrich Zinndorf-Linker $20.00 USD
May 29, 2009 Paul Tardif Jr l $25.00 USD
May 27, 2009 Sara Reading $5.00 USD
Mar. 24, 2009 Urban Maille ChainWorks $250.00 USD
Feb. 28, 2009 Jeffrey Fair $10.00 USD
Feb. 28, 2009 Cynthia Kazos $10.00 USD
Feb. 9, 2009 Charlie's Chaincraft $20.00 USD
Feb. 3, 2009 S I Friend $5.00 USD
Jul. 11, 2008 Tammy Bowman $2.00 USD

Submissions: 50

Re: Summary of Finances
Posted on Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:50 am

The Ring Lord wrote:
Over the past 5 years the balance has steadily increased. We should consider spending some money Smile.

I saw this mentioned in one of the Admin threads, but as a non-donating (yet) member, I would think that arranging to reimburse personal expenses for Blaise for hosting fees would be a reasonable use for some of that.

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Submissions: 0

Re: Summary of Finances
Posted on Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:12 am

Elemental Dragon wrote:
The Ring Lord wrote:

I saw this mentioned in one of the Admin threads, but as a non-donating (yet) member, I would think that arranging to reimburse personal expenses for Blaise for hosting fees would be a reasonable use for some of that.

Kim and I just saw this, and we said the exact same thing before we read your post.

Pay the man back we say!

And buy me something purdy. Coif LoL

Submissions: 1

Posted on Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:22 am

exactly! pay him back Smile and thank him kindly for the years he paid out of his pocket.

keep whatever is left for future years or other expenses.

Submissions: 79

Posted on Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:25 am

let's maybe give the next theme contest a MAIL shirt or something..

or shirts for all the past coders.

or a 300$ scholarship to some metalcraft college student to pay for a book or two.

and definitely give blaise back his money.

i imagine paying blaise back will drop us down to around a grand. personally, i'd like to keep 500$ back for the next couple years worth of bills.

this gives us around 500$ to do something good with.

i would be extremely interested in hearing what the membership would like to see done with these funds.

thank you jon! you the man.

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 294

Posted on Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:42 am

Yes yes and yes

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Posted on Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:18 am

legba, should your sig say, "please donate to MAIL, our scrooge mcduck pool isn't full yet."...? Coif LoL

this is still kind of boggling to me.

kim

Posted on Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:21 pm

Yeah I think I'll remove that now (until the coffers are empty)!

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Posted on Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:17 pm

i'm not saying your sig was improper. people should be encouraged to donate to MAIL.. my comment -was- a little cheeky..

honestly, if we do some things which are deemed beneficial to the community / society with this money, people will keep putting money in.

i don't want to see the coffers "empty".. i'd like to keep 4 or 5 years worth of bills in the bank.

however it'd be nice to be able to say to members, "donating to MAIL pays our bills and does these things which benefit people," listlistlist.

kim

Posted on Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:28 pm

Kim,

I am 'MailleMystique' and I have to admit the only reason I knew to donate was because I happened to see it on one of Legba's posts. There may be better ways to 'get it out there' but I never noticed anything until I saw it there.

Thanks

Deb
---------------------

(formerly maillemystique)

If you aren't willing to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Posted on Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:37 pm

Oh Ok, I'll put it back! Laughing

Maille Code

Submissions: 150

Posted on Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:53 pm

Me too - like Sawgrass/MailleMystique I became aware by some post(s) here enough to dig further into the possibility to donate.

And I am/was participating member on a couple of forums, and on any of them that is/was it worth in my opinion, I willingly pay/paid my obulus. So now mailleartisans is on my personal list of these forums that are worth being paid for the services provided, while another one that went the commercial way, not only lost my money but participation as well. And that leads to my opinion that this money should be used in the first place to provide the possibility to remain noncommercial and independent.

And acknowledging the fact, that Blaise did pay 'til now for the forum's hosting out of his purse, by his own choice, we should try to re-pay him (maybe parts of) his expenses - if he accepts it. In case of him not accepting to be re-paid, we should follow that (imho) good idea of using some cash normally needed for hosting expenses for a scholarship instead - and grant Blaise the right to chose, who will get it...

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 3

Posted on Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:56 pm

Not sure what a scholarship means, a MAIL educational scholarship? ....applicants, approval committee, review and compliance committee? Giving away money is even more complicated that recieving money.

Specific Grants might work....I'm thinking more like hardware, our own dedicated server, software, on-site data storage/backup....

We shouldn't forget Jon doing CPA work for the past, how Long? It's probably not much, but I see keeping the donations and books straight over the years as a big deal....an invaluable contribution in itself.

Kodiak-

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong". -H.L. Menken
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." -Dorothy Parker
Chaincraft Mandrels

Submissions: 150

Posted on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:14 am

Kodiak: When I used the word 'scholarship', I re-used the term used by kim in a post predating mine - replace it freely by donation, giveaway or so. If it is decided to use some money in this way, it will surely be discussed, HOW that will be done.

About getting an 'own' server, or another enhancement of our site: That might make more sense than 'burning' money by making gifts...

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:24 am

I go for enhancement, more storage/features whatever, more than trying to get our own hardware set-up. that would be alot more trouble for the person stuck with the hardware up-keep. and also a nightmare when that person decides to quit doing it and another person needs to be found, we need get the equipment to him, or buy new equipment because now it's obsolete...etc.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next