Another JPL question (JPL5, JPL7 and so on...)
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 149

Posted on Thu May 07, 2009 7:15 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

*GRIN*
This time i see no fault (besides the ones you mentioned yourself). Congrats.

-ZiLi-
And now you can advance your lead - go to NINE, while I try to understand the principles of JPL family a bit better, to become able to get any wished JPL running. And that's absolutely not easy for me, and a grinding stone for my recovery attempts following a bad moment in my life (the readers of my articles know what I mean...)

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 106

Posted on Thu May 07, 2009 8:40 pm

ZiLi wrote:
*GRIN*
This time i see no fault (besides the ones you mentioned yourself). Congrats.

-ZiLi-
And now you can advance your lead - go to NINE, while I try to understand the principles of JPL family a bit better, to become able to get any wished JPL running. And that's absolutely not easy for me, and a grinding stone for my recovery attempts following a bad moment in my life (the readers of my articles know what I mean...)

Zili, I read "Strokes of Life" when you submitted it. I can't even imagine what that is like for you. I'm glad mailleing helps.

Yeah, I did use the "girly" method of 7 different colors to keep track. I really don't think I could have done it with just one.

I'm going to attempt JPL9, but I don't know just how insane I want to go.
Very Happy

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Thu May 07, 2009 9:32 pm

Yep Lorraine. I can remember having had the ability to visualize nearly any three-dimensional object by seeing a couple of images of it, freely rotating it in my mind, and having the ability to draw an image of that object seen from nearly any different viewpoint. That's mostly gone now.

But mailleing seems to be a means to force a (partial) recovery, as fortunately nearly all weaves are 'quasi two-dimensional' (can in principle seen/modeled as two-dimensional objects) despite being in fact clearly three-dimensional. So these can be reproduced easily by me - most times. But I have had a hard time to even visualize simple JPL3, while spiral (4-1) was absolutely easy. And now I've memorized the 'inner model' of JPL3, and can reproduce it from scratch everytimes I want to do. But even JPL5 (despite the fact I CAN do it now repeatedly, but not yet everytimes I start an attempt to) remains being a bit of a riddle for me. And JPL7 will be hard - I guess harder than for an average experienced mailler with around 20 or 30 weaves under the belt. But I trust my slowly re-awakening abilities enough to do an attempt, now.

You must see, that I started this whole thread not without purpose...

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

-'me

Submissions: 337

Posted on Thu May 07, 2009 11:05 pm

lorraine wrote:
I think I am doing this correctly. Will someone let me know?

I'm not trying to pick fault with lorraine's but ZiLi please tell me how my "complete ring sitting faulty" is any different to the one I see above? It's the same ring in the same place.
Are they both wrong or not?

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Posted on Fri May 08, 2009 12:35 am

Legba, you are right. Mine is in the wrong place too. They should be tilted in the same direction as the other rings in the same row. Those first rings don't have anything to force them to stay in the right place so they tend to slip out of place.

I think Zili was just being zilly, and looking for things to tease you about. Very Happy

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 3

Posted on Fri May 08, 2009 1:00 am

OK now, you've got it nailed Lorraine....hiphiphooray...9 will drive you a bit nuts, but i know you'll get it, it's inevitable now...can you see now, in JPL7 especially, the inside and outside interwoven spirals....cool....I haven't tried 11 in a while, maybe I should try and crack it, that link to cshake's piece is like a little bug nibbling at that certain part of my mind....the part I have left.

Your's is just fine Legba, ZiLi IS just giving you a hard time....maille chauvinism.

Kodiak-

"Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty, find opportunity."
Chaincraft Mandrels

Posted on Fri May 08, 2009 1:21 am

Hey Kodiak! Yeah, the more rings in the JPL the more it pushes them apart just enough to see what's going on inside - more spiraling!

The only wire I have 9 different colors in right now is 24g. I coiled some up on a #13 (4.62mm) mandrel. I know it's insane to try to learn a weave with such thin rings, but it's all I've got at the moment. (Are there degrees of insanity, or is it just all or nothing?) I think I'll get a good night's sleep before I try to weave those into JPL9. Thanks for the encouragement Kodiak!

Lorraine

Lorraine's Chains

Posted on Fri May 08, 2009 6:37 am

kodiak wrote:
Your's is just fine Legba, ZiLi IS just giving you a hard time....maille chauvinism.

Yep. Nag Nag Nag...

-ZiLi-

-'me

Submissions: 337

Posted on Fri May 08, 2009 9:39 am

hrumph

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Posted on Sun May 10, 2009 6:09 pm

I did it, I did it! Behold JPL9.

I actually got it started two nights ago. It took me this long to get to a ring size that is small enough to keep the weave stable, but large enough that it doesn't get so tight that the weave kinks up. This is what the starting end looks like.

Starting with the 26g rings really helped. They were much easier to hold onto. I found that the best AR for me was as close to 9 as I could possibly get.

Lorraine's Chains

Posted on Sun May 10, 2009 6:49 pm

Being not yet able to visualize the 'higher' JPLs (only having a 'feeling' about being near) - I'm really envious. But I congratulate you having achieved that.

-ZiLi-

-'me

Posted on Sun May 10, 2009 7:40 pm

Zili, this part of Cynake's post on the first page really clicked with me. His formula for the mobius ball© cutoff point is right. Once I understood that, things started to make sense for me. You are probably past that point, but I just wanted you to know that it helped me.

Thanks for all the info Cynake. It really helped me!

------------------
Here's another of his, showing that the first 50% isn't even "just" a mobius ball©?:

There's a formula for how big of a mobius ball©? you start off with, before it stops being "just" spiral and starts being JPL. Don't hold me to this, but I think it is (JPL#+1)/2 = Mobius start number. With JPL3, that number doesn't exist really, the way it's applied. With JPL5, that number is 3, with JPL 7 it's 4, with JPL 9 it's 5, etc.

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sun May 10, 2009 7:57 pm

Quote:
I actually got it started two nights ago. It took me this long to get to a ring size that is small enough to keep the weave stable, but large enough that it doesn't get so tight that the weave kinks up. This is what the starting end looks like.

Lorraine, it's beautiful, the kind of beauty only another creator of such rare art can appreciate.

Kodiak-

"Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty, find opportunity."
Chaincraft Mandrels

Posted on Mon May 11, 2009 1:16 am

Kodiak, I knew you would appreciate it, in all its hideous glory!

Lorraine's Chains

Posted on Thu May 14, 2009 3:09 am

Okay, I've managed to do JPL-11!

The rings are made of 20awg soft copper wound around a 9mm mandrel. It is still a little loose, but I don't have anything between 8.75mm and 9mm.

The secret for me is to start with all different colors in a really small gauge wire like 24g. I seem to be able to hold on to them better. Then I move up from there.

Lorraine's Chains

Jump to:  
Page 4 of 7. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next