Questions from email
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Fund Raising

Submissions: 83

Posted on Sat Jan 01, 2000 5:00 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I though that since this new forum had been put up I would move the questions I would otherwise email about here. Woody, you mentioned a possible legal issue about fund raising with kits. Explain? It just seemed to me that a product as fairly common as that would be pretty much free for any use... I suppose compared to our other ideas it's the only one that really has some overlap with anything being sold commercially, and as such we might want to reject it for ethical reasons... but legal? Anyway. I have no idea for anyone in particular to run this, save to say that I will of course do everything I can to help, up to and including trying to co-ordinate, if that would indeed be helpful.

What have been people's thoughts on getting all this out there, vis a vis some sort of time table? If we can agree on some prices I know I could start making odds and ends pretty much right away. Or would it be better to go all at once in a more unified fasion?

Submissions: 97

mabie m.a.i.l. or an indidual from m.a.i.l could sell off some samples of weaves. i know alot of people can look at pics but can't figure the weave out unless
they are holding a sample and can explore it from different angles. so mabie auction off a Lot of more unusal weaves. mabie 10 or so

i have had a few requests before from beginners before.

tell me what you think .

[ This Message was edited by: Grace on 2002-05-27 01:09 ]

Submissions: 24

i think mail should do something similiar to the cbb's auctions...i personally dont have much money to donate, but i could make and donate some tools, jewelry, etc, that could be sold off of here and have the money go to the site..

everything you never wanted and more:
http://members.tripod.com/thexnihil/maille2/main.htm

Submissions: 24

Great! I really like the idea of doing the auction on ebay, I'll probably do the same thing except with finished pieces.
I like sakredchao's idea of putting a new page on the index if we reach our bandwidth limit (which btw there is a chance we might hit it this month as we just have 700 mb left). That way we can prevent owing them money as well, because by the time the site gets pulled we owe them another $10. This could serve as a temporary solution, but I do agree that we should push more to getting up the money for the new server.

signature

Submissions: 5

Absolutely Uber

Live, Love, Learn!
-Woody NaDobhar

Submissions: 1

Quote:

On 2002-05-09 14:24, sakredchao wrote:
back in feb. i sent a packet of stuff to steven of creativemaille that would be sold and the profits would be donated to MAIL.. this is on the order of 150$ if i remember right, but then again my memory is sort of hazy usually.

That seems to be right kim. Those items will be going with me to Sturgis in August. I am not able to do the show I was planning next month due to a lack of time to make all the stock.

I was thinking of doing an auction of some saw-cut rings on Ebay last week and donating the proceeds to the board. If I decide to do this would it be ok to put an announcement up about the auction somewhere?

Anon,

Steven Donley, Member
Executive Director
Creative Maille LLC

Yeah, we can monitor bandwidth. The information is generated by the server and shared with the admins, but I don't think there would be much problem getting cgi to recognize it and work with it. Perhapse an alternate index when bandwidth gets low, which only has the notice and a link to cafepress...

Might have a server without that issue soon, tho...Mari found a good one. I think we should push our efforts more towards getting the new server, with which we will not have this problem. We won't need to rework the cgi if we do this Uber

Live, Love, Learn!
-Woody NaDobhar

Submissions: 79

one thought might to be let peole know what it costs to run MAIL.. how much per year, and what extra bandwidth costs.

can we check bandwidth ourselves? maybe when it gets close switch to the fundraising screen that has no graphics, just text.. with a link to the gift shoppe and a link to the donation page.. don't pay for the last week of the month unless it's donated to us, and leave the site down with a message from us, instead of from the server company.

maybe even a meter, if we can rig something up, on the main page that says "there are X more MB of bandwidth before MAIL goes down for the month. but YOU can breathe life back into it when it does." maybe explain what we would like to do and what it costs and what our finiances are at. (get our own server, et cetera..)

might not be worth it if we're going to switch soon, but would also stop woody and mari from paying 20$ a month overuse fees. this goes along with an idea that aderamelech had at one point of shutting down certain areas and putting up a donation type message.. but we'd just shut them all down when we got to 100-200 mb of bandwidth left, or something.. (that would last if they were only loading text, right?)

speaking of where our finiances are at.. what do we owe jon? we could put all of our finiancial information up for people to read in the "downtime" message. maybe explain that it's a co-op, meaning member owned. (at least i -think- it is.. but i've been wrong before.

thoughts?
kim

Submissions: 79

back in feb. i sent a packet of stuff to steven of creativemaille that would be sold and the profits would be donated to MAIL.. this is on the order of 150$ if i remember right, but then again my memory is sort of hazy usually.

on another note. i think that MAIL going down had nothing to do with bandwidth. i think the site didn't know what to do without my IP logging in every day.. probably just had some rejection issues.

i'll put some thought into this fundraising thing. i guess that selling things seems like a good idea to me.. a lot of non profit businesses sell stuff blatently from a gift shop. i think that the line comes from where the money is stored, et cetera. but i'm not informed about this.

kim

It's a real tricky line between selling a product and giving something in return for a donation, a line usually defined by article 501, non-profit status. We're not in it for money, but the tax man might disagree. If we exchanged goods for money, it might require Jon to file taxes for us...

BUT, if you want to sell kits by yourself and then donate money to our little project, that's a horse of a different color Wink If you were to do such a thing, of course you could do so on your own timetable Uber

Live, Love, Learn!
-Woody NaDobhar

Submissions: 0

Right now I'm just getting mail experiance, working with different sized, knits, garnments and such, I'm on my 3rd bracelette in a week and a partially done coif. When I feel I'm ready I'm gonna get me some SS and try and sell my work. I'm almost positive about giving 1-5% of my earnings to this site. I've learned everything I know from this site, so I feel that it's the least I can do Smile It's sorta like fund raising, so I figured that I'd post it.

The road to happyness was torn down to make space for a corporate giant.

We REALLY need someone to run the 'make money' show...

Live, Love, Learn!
-Woody NaDobhar

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1