IGP Ratio Help
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Requests

Submissions: 0

IGP Ratio Help
Posted on Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:38 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hey there. Im a new mailler and found this to be a wonderful resource. Thanks for all the help everyone has given me even before I could come up with a question. LOL. lately I've been having fun with IGP but running into size ratio problems. I know IGP turns 1 pixel of the picture to 1 ring of the inlay but I don't know how that translates to finished sheets. Does anyone know how many rings of Euro 4-1 make a square foot? Confused

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:22 pm

9, yes, 9.....sorry....I had this picture of the owl on the tootsie-pop commercial....how many licks to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsoe-pop?.....1,2,3....

So, what size rings are we talking about? WD and ID?

Kodiak-

"Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty, find opportunity."
Chaincraft Mandrels

Submissions: 50

Posted on Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:43 pm

It depends on the gauge combination. For IGP, I believe if you save a patterned image and then print it out with no size adjustments, it should be roughly the same area as a real patch made with the ring size you chose in IGP's menu. For different size rings with similar ARs, you'd have to do some math to scale it. For different size rings with different ARs, trial and error. TRL gives some approximations with many of their ring size entries.

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Posted on Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:49 pm

Oh I am a dolt! I totaly forgot to put in the AR. Please forgive the noob. I was working with the 16G 1/4" rings from TRL starter kit. I believe thet AR would be 3.3.

Submissions: 50

Posted on Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:45 pm

Bright Aluminum - 16g 1/4" says 4.2AR approximately 2940 rings per square foot

Galvanized Steel - 16g 1/4" says 4.2 AR approximately 2988 rings per square foot

Stainless Steel - 16g 1/4" says 4.2 AR approximately 2988 rings per square foot

Copper - 16g 1/4" says 4.3AR approximately 2838 rings per square foot

Brass - 16g 1/4" says 4.4AR approximately 2697 rings per square foot

Nickel Silver - 16g 1/4" says 4.5AR approximately 2566 RPSF.

All that was available from TRL. Due to various factors such as springback, kerf, temper, etc ARs and RPSF are just approximations, but they should be close enough to give you a general idea. You're looking at about 2500-3000 rings per square foot.

IGP's pattern options just list 16g 1/4" as a 4.4 AR which, according to TRL runs about 2700 RPSF.

So, since you are a new mailler, some pointers.
TRL has very well documented product, for the most part. There are some items that don't have some of these pieces of data, but if you purchase from TRL, check the specific ring data and see if the information you need is there, first.
Second, you get points for trying to use AR, but it evidently needs some work. I don't know if you just guessed at the AR, of if you plugged incorrect numbers into the formula, but a discrepancy of 1.1AR is rather extreme. For reference, if you are trying to calculate your own, AR=ID/WD. Aspect ratio equals inside diameter divided by wire diameter. You will need some sort of reference to translate gauge system notation into an actual unit of measurement to get that to work right.

Sometimes I get a little grumpy and/or lecturing when it comes to easily researched information. I try and make exceptions for people new to the craft, because I realize I was new once, but I will apologize if I'm a litte gruff, here. I hope this helps you out and gets you headed in the direction you needed. Good luck!

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Posted on Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:24 pm

Thanks. Ther AR I got was actually from TRLs site, but I really appretiate all the info. When I get the inlay finished I'll post it for all to see, since at this point it's practically a group progect. LOL.

All we are is dust in the wind Dude.
Dust-Wind-Dude

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1