some thick wire?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 2

some thick wire?
Posted on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:53 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I resonantly found some thick wire in my shed. I compared it to other wire that i have, and it must be like 10awg or 8awg wire. And it bends really easy, so I'm thinking it is aluminum wire.

is there eny maille that i can make with it wire? or should i make large (3" -4") rings for connecting to?

Submissions: 1

Posted on Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:47 am

Quote:
is there eny maille that i can make with it wire?

Hrm?

I remind you that if you'd like help, make an effort to communicate legibly.

Best I can understand, you want to know if you can make maille, with wire? Is that actually your question?

Yes. You can make maille... with wire. This is a great website to help you learn how.

When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that.

Quote:
or should i make large (3" -4") rings for connecting to?

No you definitely shouldn't do that.

Submissions: 57

Posted on Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:21 am || Last edited by oneringshortofafullcoil on Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total

if it is 10 you probably want to go like 3/8 or bigger mandrel(any smaller at you can only make 2-1 chain pretty much, by the time you take the kerf of a hacksaw out of it , cause you bolties are not gonna cut anything else. even if they do manage to cut this) and 8 even larger than 3/8 again the kerf will affect your AR, you could probably make something real sturdy out of this
take your time and figure out, what you would like to make that strong.
I am assuming this is steel, ,what material is it?

Edit: My bad, must have been scanning , sorry bout that.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:35 am

oneringshortofafullcoil wrote:
I am assuming this is steel, ,what material is it?

" And it bends really easy, so I'm thinking it is aluminum wire. "

Submissions: 7

Posted on Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:45 am

You could definitely make some maille out of it! As to WHAT to create, such as armour, coif, etc. it's far to thick to make things of that nature. You could just make some pieces of megamaille! Post your results! It sounds like an awesome find! Very Happy

Submissions: 50

Posted on Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:30 am

Sounds like possibly aluminum ground wire. Just about anything reasonable will cut it, if I remember my experiences with it. It's not super hard temper or anything.

I got some 11SWG baling wire (galvanized steel) that I posted a pic of quite a while back (which I believe Cynake so kindly edited a bit, either here or TRL Smile), and while I haven't done a whole lot with it (it's a royal pain in the rear end to coil), I did get a eventually get a 3/8" ID coil that made a nice JPL when cut via Dremel cut off wheel, but was just a bit too loose (if I remember correctly) when cut with a hacksaw. If it is indeed around the 8-10AWG, 3/8" ID should get you about the same range of possibilities as 14SWG 1/4" ID. This is just a rough guess, mind you. I don't feel inclined to crunch numbers for you at the moment, especially since you don't have any real concrete numbers to crunch.

Good luck.

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Submissions: 3

Posted on Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:12 am

Well, can't offer much without actual dims, but how about some keychains? You could make moebius flowers, single byz units, or other single unit weaves, aura might be too big for a keychain. Check the units in the Weaves section, just keep the IDs on the small side or you'll end up with weak rings that won't hold up.

Jeffrey

"Blar diddy blar diddy blar blar." - Blar

Submissions: 42

Posted on Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:55 pm

Here is a thread from earlier on that might help you out.

http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=11933&highlight=

I hope I pasted that url in correctly Confused

sounds like you have gotten some good ideas all ready.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:40 pm

I've got something similar, what I think is 8-10g telecommunications wire. About 6 strands of aluminum around one steel center. I've made some euro 4-1 out of the aluminum but haven't tried to do anything with the steel yet. It is crazy trying to unwind all those wires, slow going too.

Maille Code V1.0 T?.? R?.? Ffp6.1hp4.1 MFe.g Wg Ce G4.8/.5 I8.2/1.4 Pj Djcad S07 CCi
If you dig it, do it. If you really dig it, do it twice.-Jim Croce
"Wherever he is, I hope he rolls good stats on his next incarnation."-Rich Berlew on Gary Gygax(so just how many of us read OotS?)

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:55 am

I've gotta say, if it's 8 or 10 G, 3/8 is going to be a pretty tight AR. I find 14G is about as heavy as i'd go. maybe a 1/2" or 3/4" if you're looking at something nice and tight. I suppose how big you go depends on the temper of the metal.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1