Join us in Viking Knit
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Wire Arts

Submissions: 6

Join us in Viking Knit
Posted on Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:57 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

A bunch of us are interested in learning Viking Knit this year. I have been trying to find the best sites to help us accomplish this. I like the method illustrated here best:

http://www.fineartbyrocio.com/vikingknitdirections.html

The pictures are clear, and they use regular household items until you get to the drawplate part. Seems easy enough to make one out of scrap wood and varying size holes though....my hubs next little project, heh heh, little does he know.

This next site is a short video that shows how the knit compresses as it is pulled through the drawplate - you can picture that but seeing it might make a difference for someone - and it shows how to affix the end caps pretty easily. You must purchase the entire vid if you want to see every little step but I thought the highlights were good enough.

http://www.interweave.com/bead/dvds/Bead-Fest-Workshops/Beaded-Viking-Knit-Bracelet/

Materials we will need:

Credit card, or any other plastic card the same shape
Marker
Tape
Wooden dowel, about .5" to 1" in diameter
Craft Wire, you will see why when you click the links
Nicer wire if you want your weave in silver, gold fill or better
Drawplate

I know I have not posted any exact measurements, but I don't know myself. This is just a basic learning tool for us to use. Make notes on how much wire you use, craft and other enough for a 7" bracelet or whatever your project is. Remember the photo tut says the finished knit is double in length from the loose knit right off the dowel. We can probably figure out from that how much wire is needed for what type of project. Hopefully with enough good info we can assemble our own article.

I just want to add that I don't work for or endorse either site that I reference here, they were just good resources for the purpose. A shout out of thanks to them.

If you have everything, then go ahead and start. If people need a few days to assemble their materials that's cool too. Please report on your progress. Good luck everyone!

Submissions: 50

Posted on Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:58 am

This video on YouTube mentions using 13ft of wire for the bracelet project they are showing. But this is only video 1 in a 3 part series that they sell the other two installments for, so I'm not sure how long the finished piece is supposed to end up.

It's a shame that nobody wants to share information freely anymore. No, I'll take that back. It's not the information they aren't sharing freely, but the presentation of the information that they are charging for.

Hmmm...here's a quote from this discussion:
Quote:
Also I start students out using 28 gauge fine silver because it is very easy to work with. After doing a few projects you can switch to heavier gauge wire. It takes about 8 yards of 28 guage wire to do a 5 inch length which will draw to a 7 inch chain and with a toggle it is just right for most wrists. If you move up to 24 gauge it takes about an ounce of wire to do a bracelet.

Also some discussion of double (what is being done in Carys's first link) and single knit. I suppose theoretically you could triple, quadruple, etc knit if you felt so inclined. Actually, now that I've finished reading through, this thread has some nice examples, too.

Also, 4 stitch, 5 stitch, and 6 stitch variants seem to be fairly commonplace. I suppose it all depends on personal preference. Hmmm...what else do we do that often depends on personal preference? Coif Cool Smiley

The DIY Network video ("Watch the Video" link towards the bottom right of the article, just before the "Resources" section) I found shows an interesting finish at the end, instead of caps.

Your finished length probably depends on how tight you draw it down, but most of the information I've looked at calls the finished piece about twice as long as the pre-draw piece.

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Submissions: 9

Posted on Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:35 am

Oh, I just saw this...There are a couple of viking knit tutorials in the winter edition of step by step WIRE magazine. I thought bout trying them out whenever I can get a drawplate thingy.

Posted on Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:37 am

Thanks ED, yes there were lots of other videos & tuts out there, I just picked ones I thought were good starters. That's all I'm going for here. I'm interested in seeing how to terminate this weave without end caps as you mentioned.

I'm going to start with 20g wire; I will make some semblance of a journal as I go along.

Alco, if your hubs has drill bits and a piece of wood he can make you one. Personally, I would like too see the weave turn out tight but not too streched out. I like the tight v's.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:25 am

Wish I was looking at having more time, but, not anticipating any to speak of....but, it should be fun, I've done a bit before, and it's not too terribly hard to learn, but takes a bunch of practice to get smooth and consistant with it....something that will help for some will be, as mentioned, a decent but inexpensive drawplate, check here, I've done business with Progress and they're all right......be careful, dangerous site, you'll find more than drawplates to put on your wishlist...
http://www.progresstool.com/pd_round_drawplate_25mm.cfm
You'll get by fine with a steel plate, using soft, non-ferrous metals....lubelubelube...liquid burr-life is wonderful.

Kodiak-

"Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty, find opportunity."
Chaincraft Mandrels

Submissions: 97

Re: Join us in Viking Knit
Posted on Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:38 pm

Carys wrote:

Drawplate

If you have a drill bit size guide around your house you can use that as a drawing plate. That's what I use, and it works perfectly fine, you just keep pulling your Viking knit throw the progressively smaller holes and it works just like a normal drawing plate would. Also for mandrels, knitting needles work great.

Carys wrote:
I'm going to start with 20g wire; I will make some semblance of a journal as I go along.

Actually, Viking knit works best when using smaller gauge wire. I would recommend you use 26ga wire, it has just the right amount of flexibility for Viking knit without being too breakable. The smaller the wire, the easier it will be to get it where you want it to go. The thicker gauges like 20ga do not want to bend the way you need them to in order to make Viking knit.

Two books with info on Viking knit:

Great Wire Jewelry by Irene From Peterson

Complete Guide to Making Wire Jewelry by Art Jewelry Books

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Author Website

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:26 pm

Yay new thread!!! Now we can stop filling up the 2009 goals thread, LOL!

I've been trying it out with 24 gauge copper wire, a knitting needle, and a piece of wood with various size holes drilled in it...crude, I know...but it does the job just fine. I'll try to get some pictures together to post.

~~Mistress of Maille~~

Posted on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:06 am

Well, I have miles of that wire and it's copper plated with something so it is soft enough. I will try it out and if it doesn't work I have some thinner wire I can use.

So, we must lube as we pull through draw plate. Makes sense. Thanks!

Posted on Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:40 am

Okay, 20 gauge is way too big. I can't control this thing!! LOL

Submissions: 3

Posted on Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:08 am

I was a bit off base, talking about drawing wire, like doing Viking knit with .40-.30 or even .20mm wire, that I just assume, and probably wrongly, that most folks would want to go the metalsmith route and use a drawplate, and pull down their 22 or 24ga to a workable, thin enough wire....anyway, this is what I do, it's not for everyone, and you can just buy 24-26ga wire, but I don't, I prefer to make it....

The stitch plate, or wooden draw plate for pulling/drawing the weave through, is, yes, easy enough to improvise...I've made quite a few actually, and out of pallet oak....it's free, and makes for a nice hardwood tool....lard, by all accounts, is THE best lube for treating your wooden plate with, although some may have an aversion to it, and it can go rancid if you store it in an air tight container or plastic baggie...don't do that.

Kodiak-

"Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty, find opportunity."
Chaincraft Mandrels

Submissions: 57

Posted on Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:49 am

so far I was most pleased when I progressed to 32g(o.2mm) soft sterling o.5 was alright but bigger than that gets way stiff.

Posted on Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:25 am

Well, I bought thinner wire, 28 and 24. Give those a whirl later.

Submissions: 0

Viking Knit
Posted on Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:15 pm

I recently taught myself this wire technique from the articles mentioned in the earlier posts. For tools I bought 3 different sized dowels from the hardware store and cut them to about 18" in length. My favorite so far measures 8mm and produces a really nice chain. I've been using 24 gauge soft sterling silver with great results. I made a double knit and a single knit with that gauge. Just last night I tried 26 gauge on a much smaller dowel and so far it looks good - tonight I'll draw it through the draw plate for the final result... I'll let you know how it comes out.

I did buy a "comercial" wooden draw plate for $10 and I'm very happy with it. If you have access to scrap hardwood and various drill bits, you could easily make this tool for yourself.

Most importantly, don't be discouraged at how the weave looks while still on your dowel - it's downright ugly! The magic happens when you pull it through your draw plate, WOW!

Submissions: 74

Posted on Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:36 am

i've made a few nice yellow brass pices using viking knit. i did it much the same as the tutorials above. but i don't see those tutorial showing how to connect a new wire, i learnd how to in class but seem they don't think we need to know that..lol (i may have missed it if it is in there).

the vertion i did i don't know the name of but when i was 'stiching' it i when thru three loop back each time. and i made it with 8 sides. it looks vary dence and after drawing, it nicely paked and flexable.

Not to shabby for someone how don't make jewelery that offten.

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 1

I'm long winded today....
Posted on Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:34 pm

I've been doing just a basic viking knit for a few months, but this thread has sparked a bit of creativity in me with it. Over the last few days rather than just using 24g or smaller wire, I've been playing with 20g, and 18g copper wire on a 3/8 dowel.

Then I started getting a little more creative and instead of using 4 to 6 rows, did a 2, a 3, an 8, and a 10. (the 2 & 3 rows larger wire isn't a problem, but 8 & 10 rows on a 3/8" dowel with larger wire is just a pain). I like the light fluffy look of the smallest g's of wire, but at the same time, the thick heavy look of the larger wire, is more my personal style, so I'm kind of partial to it (I'm a metal chick).

Then I got to thinkng even more, so I started looking for something that was cone shaped, and using 30g red enameled copper wire, I setup to do 6 "prongs" to weave on, and added small beads. This didn't get pulled through the drawplate, because I did it at 1.25", finished the end off with slightly larger loops and beads, and decided it would make cute earrngs.

I used a square metal rod that is 3/16" and did one with 4 prongs, in 26g copper and did not draw it, and it looks pretty freakin cool, and even though it's somewhat of a "fragile" gauge of wire, it's maintaining it's square shape and weave very well even when kind of squished between my fingers, it pretty much springs right back.

The draw plate that I'm using, I made myself with a piece of scrap2x4 that was in my garage. I drilled holes starting at 3/8" down to the smalled bit I have which was a 1/16", and have managed to pull 24g, 5 "prong" knit down to a non-flexible, but shapable 1/8" (that took some work, had to mount the drawplate in a vice and get my brother to pull it through after 5 minutes of struggling with it myself). I think I'm going to start using the "heavy" tightly compressed knit in wire sculpture.

I have pictures of the different things I've tried, it's just a matter of getting Alltel's cellular internet connection to cooperate long enough to upload some pics to the net.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 3. Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next