lindstrom bent nose pliers - sourcing
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

lindstrom bent nose pliers - sourcing
Posted on Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:58 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I want to purchase some lindstrom bent nose pliers but none of my usual suppliers sell them. Can anyone recommend a place to buy them from? I'm located in Australia but am happy to purchase from overseas. Thanks.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:00 am || Last edited by kodiak on Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total

You might PM Celticcat She's somewhere about Avonhead, Christchurch, and may have a place to recommend.

Other than that, google it. Prices range from $39-59 US, then shipping....if you run up against huge shipping costs, e-mail me and we'll do something about that....I can ship something like this, if it's only a pair of pliers, for less than $10 bucks to you in Australia.

Good luck, Kodiak-

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong". -H.L. Menken
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." -Dorothy Parker
Chaincraft Mandrels

Submissions: 9

Posted on Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:58 am

If you find a supplier, let me know! I want some of those too!!! Lindstrom are awesome.

Submissions: 2

Posted on Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:04 am

not that i know anything... but i saw this on BlueBuddha today:

Quote:
Lindstrom pliers are currently out of stock. The new re-design seems to have the effect of causing the pliers to not spring back open fully when the pressure is on the lightest setting. We're working with the manufacturer to troubleshoot if we got a botched batch, or if this is indeed how the new design should work (which would be not as cool for maillers!)

maybe they're not what they used to be, and nobody wants to sell 'em anymore?

Posted on Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:12 am

I tried to find one of the smaller, home based jewelry suppliers that I saw a while back, they had Lindstrom's @ $37 or so, but a simple google search got me one on e-bay for $35 + shipping. You're not going to find them much cheaper, quality tools cost money, that's all there is to it.

If you're doing smaller stuff, jewelry, the cost is nothing when you compare it to the increase in productivity, versatility, fewer damaged rings, and all around ease and comfort.

Kodiak-

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong". -H.L. Menken
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." -Dorothy Parker
Chaincraft Mandrels

Submissions: 294

Posted on Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:53 am

I got mine on ebay but they were located in the US.
If you're not bothered about buying from overseas why don't you buy direct from Lindstrom?

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:21 pm

You definetely get what you pay for when it comes to tools.
You could try here http://urbanmaille.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=LRX7892.
Her markup on tools is very low.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:41 pm

Yeah, I think Urban Maille was where I saw at one point decent prices on Lindstrom...personally I don't care for or recommend the EX series. They've got a new HS series out that looks to be really comfy, and gets rid of those plastic springs.

Kodiak-

Chaincraft Mandrels

Submissions: 8

Posted on Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:31 pm

i just stumbled across some yesterday

jewelrysupply.com

Hail to the king, baby.

Posted on Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:44 pm

Thanks for the replies - this info really helps. I did start by googling but then realised I was clickng onto links of companies I wasn't familiar with - I always prefer to be referred by someone who has used a company so I know they're legitimate. Ebay is looking like a good option - just need to check out postage (and look at customer ratings).

I'm after the bent nose pliers from the Supreme range - I have a pair of Short Snipe Nose pliers (7893) from the Supreme range and love the precision and they are a great fit for my hands - most comfy pliers I've ever used.

Whilst on the topic of pliers - the bigger snipe nose pliers I use for larger rings are old and cheap and not very comfortable to work with. I'd like to upgrade. I'm wondering if the Lindstrom (standard) Snipe Nose pliers (7890) are big/strong enough to handle rings that are made from 2mm sterling silver, brass, copper etc. If not, I'm looking for something with handles about the same as the lindstrom supreme range and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

Posted on Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:35 am

jumpintherattler, I appreciate your choice of handle types...the Lindstrom EX series are really badly designed, with the plastic spring an all.

If handles ever need to be modified, I always use athletic tape, it's cloth and thin enough, does a pretty nice job.

Kodiak-

Chaincraft Mandrels

Posted on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:12 am

Kodiak,

Thanks for the tip-off about the EX series - I was curious but not curious enough to by-pass the series I'm familiar with and love.

The athletic tape you referred to - is it sports strapping tape? Like here: http://www.elastoplastsport.com.au/Products/Default.aspx?IdDataSource=1. I've not yet come across a tape that didn't eventually wear through so that the adhesive came to the top and the surface became tacky. Does athletic tape have the same issues? In a workshop I saw someone with polishing tape wrapped around the handles of their pliers - because its tacky enough to stick to itself it is a bit tacky to hold at first but tends lose that quality - I'd thought that might be the best tape for the job.

Posted on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:50 am

nonono- Just basic light athletic tape, Wal-Mart, cheap...ther is actually a few grades, but you can only, usually get a variety in like a sports shop. Any bigbox store will carry a nice light weight version, the thinner the better, and being the cheaper stuff, is light on adhesive also. Here's a pic of one of my Lindstroms with a visitor....

Kodiak-

Chaincraft Mandrels

Submissions: 294

Posted on Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:39 am

Oooo pretty moth!

I started something with my son involving going out at night with a bright light and a sheet. We call it Moth Club.
The first rule of Moth Club is you do not talk about Moth Club.
The second rule of Moth Club is you DO NOT talk about Moth Club.....

Sorry off topic

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 2

Posted on Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:08 pm

I think im going to get myself an early christmas present of some Lindstrom. But i couldn't really see the difference between Supreme and Rx (other then the spring) Are the Supreme handles shorter? I looked at Lindstorms page and didn't notice any for of measurments for size.

I own a pair of Wubbers needle nose (nice long handles, and padded), and a pair of TRL brand bent nose pliars (Short handles, but bent to give a wider gap between the handles. Plastic coating). Honestly as much as I love the bent nose for tight spots, I find my hands get REALLY sore when using them cause I can't properly grip them (wide hands). So im thinking of getting the Rx. I noticed Urban Maille sells them the cheapest. I looked on Ebay, Blue Buddha (only had Flat nose), Spider Chain, and Urban Maille and Urban Maille won by a few dollars (but every dollar counts these days) and thats for both Rx and Supreme.

So just to reiterate my question. Which have longer handles Rx or Supreme

<a href="http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=55086"> Maille Code</a> V2.0 T4.7 R4.1 Ep~f Fds MNb.a&Ag.a Wh Capw G1.6/0.6 I6.4/2.0 N28.26 Pj Djs S08
<a href="http://chubbs-99.deviantart.com">Deviant Art</a>

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next