How To Talk To People On A Discussion Forum
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:20 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

English is hard, even native English speakers speak it imperfectly, perhaps more so than those who learn it as a second language.

Submissions: 16

Posted on Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:49 pm

Rognvald wrote:
English is hard, even native English speakers speak it imperfectly, perhaps more so than those who learn it as a second language.

English is not that hard, okay, there are easier ones, but every language has it flaws (modern chinese for example has a really easy grammer, but the rest is hard ^^). I often wish german language would be more like english (for example; you have 'the' and you're happy with it, we have 'der' 'die' 'das' for the same thing, but it can be really confusing which one applies for which word [actually one of the hardest thing for not-native-speakers... and although nearly every word can only be used with one of those, there are some regions where those rules change and a lot of the 'newer' words or not-german words aren't defined]).

I think there is no language that is entirly correct used by all the native speakers.

Posted on Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:58 pm

Then again, kleriker, there are those who have a gift for languages... you seem to be one of them. Cool

Submissions: 11

Posted on Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:08 pm

Kleriker wrote:

I think there is no language that is entirly correct used by all the native speakers.

True, but then there are those native speakers that speak improperly just because they can't be arsed to do things the correct way...which is just freaking annoying for the rest of us.

Posted on Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:21 am

Umm, Jaz, I need to go to the Urban Dictionary to look up 'arsed'... how freaking annoying.
' Coif LoL

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:22 am

Rognvald wrote:
Umm, Jaz, I need to go to the Urban Dictionary to look up 'arsed'... how freaking annoying.
' Coif LoL

Freakin' New Jerseyites... Very Happy

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:03 am

Rognvald wrote:
' Coif LoL

My dictionary doesn't know it, so same here ^^
Also, thanks for the compliment, i only wish i would be as nearly as good in speaking it as i'm in writing it (seriously, i seem to forget almost every word ^^ drove my english teachers crazy)

Posted on Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:55 pm

I guess you guys need a British dictionary then. Very Happy

I find that it is much easier to read and write another language than speak it. I'm that way with Spanish and German. I had three years of Spanish and two of German in school. I don't speak particularly well but I can understand somewhat and read better.

Submissions: 149

Posted on Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:36 pm

Well my British dictionary found arseing as verb synonym to lazeing around, but NOT arseing somebody. So I guess that simply a forced petting aka patting somebody's lower back aka arse was meant... Very Happy

Me ain't unfriendly, yes, no? <grin>

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:42 pm

Jax25 wrote:
I guess you guys need a British dictionary then. Very Happy

I find that it is much easier to read and write another language than speak it. I'm that way with Spanish and German. I had three years of Spanish and two of German in school. I don't speak particularly well but I can understand somewhat and read better.

Yeah and it doesn't help that i mainly use it for writing and watching stuff in english (damn you german-television for showing just two seasons of doctor who and forcing me to watch the rest in english).
Actually, i like the british english better, mostly because i just love the way it sounds (scottish and irish, too), but i'm more familiar with the american, because there are just more american movies and series then there are british ones .
The really hard part is to speak the worss in the right way, yoh are just so used to the way your own labguage sounds and your own alphabet is spoken, that it another way. I can think the words with the right sounds - but only rubbish comes out.

Posted on Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:08 pm

Basically arse = ass. So I was using arsed as apposed to assed. Razz Otherwise read as "They're too fecking lazy". And of course fecking should be pretty easy to translate as I'm trying not to drop the f bomb on the boards. Razz

Posted on Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:23 am

arsed = can't be bothered~ Jax is tri-lingual, and this is what she teaches us... thanks... Rolling Eyes

Submissions: 20

Posted on Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:45 pm

Rognvald wrote:
arsed = can't be bothered~ Jax is tri-lingual, and this is what she teaches us... thanks... Rolling Eyes

Oh, Jax is verrry trying alright... Coif LoL

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Posted on Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:46 pm

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
Rognvald wrote:

Oh, Jax is verrry trying alright... Coif LoL

That's me! Hehe. I'd hardly say I was tri-lingual as I'm not fluent at anything but English (and sarcasm. That should be an official language), but I will try to be more edumacational in future. Wink

Posted on Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:51 pm

Jax25 wrote:
and sarcasm. That should be an official language

Seconded ^^

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 3. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next