How To Talk To People On A Discussion Forum
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 93

Posted on Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:35 pm || Last edited by Blaise on Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi all,

I'd like to make this board (and every other one, for that matter) a better, happier place for everyone. To that end, I've prepared a small article on how to communicate clearly and without incident in an online discussion. I hope everyone will read and consider it. I tried to be a bit humorous here and there, so please don't take everything completely seriously, but I think the important points are fairly clear.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

— George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Submissions: 3

Posted on Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:20 pm || Last edited by jfair314 on Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Well said. Hopefully some posters here will read it and take it to heart.

Jeffrey

"Blar diddy blar diddy blar blar." - Blar

Submissions: 3

Re: How To Talk To People On A Discussion Forum
Posted on Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:08 pm

Blaise wrote:
I tried to be a bit humorous here and there, so please don't take everything completely seriously, but I think the important points are fairly clear.

You always do this & The problem with people like you is u mkea fun of muh typingz skillz yo yo yo Laughing

Submissions: 39

Posted on Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:39 am

This is great information! Thank you for taking the time to put it together. May I suggest it becomes a sticky so people in the future could easily find it? Or is that for an admin to suggest. Sorry don't know the proper procedure on that one.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:26 am

Anyone can always suggest anything! I'm not going to sticky my own post, though, unless the other admins think it's the right path...

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

— George Bernard Shaw

Submissions: 39

Posted on Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:38 pm

Blaise wrote:
Anyone can always suggest anything!

Thanks for the information again. Smile I am rather new to this type of thing and still don't know all the proper procedures. (Don't want to insult anybody.) That would be another great thread some time, just for us total newbies. But, I would rather see your maille than to give you more ideas on articles to write.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 2

Posted on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:52 am

*Clap, clap, clap, clap, cheering, more applause*. This is the kind of thing we've needed since this whole... uh... er... "situation"... I think Blaise deserves more than just my applause...

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:44 pm

A brilliant post. Now if only we can actually get most people to listen. Thank you very much.

Do you mind if I link toward this when I come across someone who doesn't seem to understand the 'etiquette'?

A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

My Blog!

Maille Code V1.0 T4.8 R4.8 Fbyz MFE.g Wg Ca G1.5/0.5 I10.8/1.2 Pj Dacj S05

Submissions: 337

Posted on Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:39 pm

Cryptonat wrote:
A brilliant post. Now if only we can actually get most people to listen. Thank you very much.

Do you mind if I link toward this when I come across someone who doesn't seem to understand the 'etiquette'?

I think that would be a good idea and I'm sure Blaise would think so too.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Posted on Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:02 am

Absolutely. You could also link to my original article at How to Talk to People on a Discussion Forum

— George Bernard Shaw

Posted on Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:51 pm

Good information.

Posted on Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:03 pm

It seems like such a simple thing. Just a matter of good manners and respect for other people. Thanks for the great suggestions... Smile

Suanough
You can only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough

Submissions: 9

Posted on Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:46 pm

I am glancing through articles like these, because I'd like to start posting more and don't want to accidentally break a rule that you wouldn't know about unless you had been here for years ("WHAT ARE YOU DOING? YOU CAN'T USE ONOMATOPOETIC WORDS HERE! GET OUT, AND WE'RE COMING TO YOUR HOUSE TO KILL YOU! Pls send your home address, thx"). Having read that, I think my mother would be mystified that people have to be encouraged to not call each other names or yell at each other on a message board about chainmaille.

But then, most of my forum experience has been on fark, where people will tell you to die in a fire over your choice of shaving cream.

Posted on Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:04 am

Wow. Though it's sad, it is a necessity to have that up there. I'm still a total noob on this site, and haven't read that many articles, but if it's like other forums I'm a patron of, then this topic should definately be stickied.

Though I think it was only implied, not explicit, the article was also saying that we shouldn't be 'anal' and correct people on every mistake, right? I have to admit, sometimes I'm like that in real life, especially with well and good. (If you are "doing good" you're doing good deeds). But it's easier to correct people verbally than on forums.

Submissions: 16

Posted on Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:01 am

Bardie wrote:
Wow. Though it's sad, it is a necessity to have that up there. I'm still a total noob on this site, and haven't read that many articles, but if it's like other forums I'm a patron of, then this topic should definately be stickied.

Though I think it was only implied, not explicit, the article was also saying that we shouldn't be 'anal' and correct people on every mistake, right? I have to admit, sometimes I'm like that in real life, especially with well and good. (If you are "doing good" you're doing good deeds). But it's easier to correct people verbally than on forums.

I think anyone is a bit nitpicky about some stuff - i can't stand it when people make the 'seit/seid' mistake (german words, 'seit' can be translated as 'since' and 'seid' as 'are') and some other stuff ^^ but as long as you don't overdo it, there is nothing wrong.
And with an international forum like this, it is especially important to keep in mind that there are people who don't speak english perfectly. (I like to use german grammer - my english teachers hated me for that ^^)

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 3. Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next