Aspect Ratio Calculator - Next Generation
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 149

Posted on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:59 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I did a small enhancement to the aspect ratio calculator, to remove the necessity to use a ruler to make unit conversions between imperial and metric units, or when using mixed diameter data when making AR calculations. I simply added vertical guider lines at "less populated" areas of the scales. So it is easy to line up metric to imperial data without tools.

The new file (now revision #5) is downloadable as GIF image or PDF file.

Have fun, and don't hesitate to ask questions that arise.

@Workshop Warlock: If you see this, please tell me your thoughts (as you are the originator of that calculator idea that is only refined by me).

-ZiLi-

Edit: Due to maintenance work at my provider's servers the files may be sometimes not available - please just re-try some time later. If the problem persists, ask me per 'PM' to provide them per eMail to you.

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Enhanced AR calculator manual
Posted on Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:10 am

As the enhanced version of the Aspect Ratio Calculator has undergone significant changes and additions compared to the basic version provided by 'Workshop Warlock', I will provide a new manual now, that shows and explains these changes - for the basic explanations follow the instructions of my forerunner.

First, after printing the slide rule page on approx. 160gsm (~8 mils thick) strong paper or maybe light cardboard (letter or A4 format preferred), you should cut out, separate parts, fold and glue the item together, as noted on the side of that page (after gluing the body part, you may cut notches at its left and right ends to be able to push the slider easier out of its centered "parking" position - or simply cut the body a bit shorter, if you like to do so). Then stick the slider part into the body part, so its scale is visible through the slots (I note that, because some people seem being too d... to imagine this). The slider should be relatively easy movable, but without wobbling, what would destroy the precision of this tool; so you might be forced to make corrections or even a repetition of the print and cut, until it works out well. Just be as precise as you can achieve; do NOT use less effort as when making a fine piece of maille - using ruler and knife for cutting may be a good idea - if you aren't a ten-thumbed double-left-handed example of Human species, a scissor will suffice...

The basic principle of that AR calculator, and explaining the principles of logarithmic scaling are beyond the goals of this article - I propose the interested ones to look up Wikipedia or a good maths book for "slide rule".

But the mode of use is really simple: Shift the slider in a manner, that the wire diameter on the body scale is aligned with the used ring inner diameter - and the AR can be read directly at the lower tongue scale at the point aligned with the "AR" mark. Naturally you can do this calculation in different directions, e.g. for determining a needed ring ID by given wished AR and existing wire diameter - set the AR on the lower scale, and simply read the corresponding ring IDs for given wire diameters. And last but not least needed wire diameters for given ring size and AR can be determined the same way.

Just align the given known data, and read the to be determined ones. Easy, isn't it?

To the changes and enhancements: While the original AR calculator had the upper scale reserved for the wire gauges, and the lower one for decimal inches, that is compressed now a bit by combining all inch related scales on the upper scale area - to free up the lower scale space for an additional - corresponding - metric one. And the commonly used fractional inches are added to the imperial scale, now (after I was some time a bit hesitant to do so, I finally did). The imperial and metric scales are shifted by the factor 25.4 against each other, so direct unit conversions between metric [mm] and imperial [in]/gauge values can be made easily, as well as AR calculations using mixed metric and imperial ring and wire dimensions. The complete scales were shifted to center the more commonly used AR of 5 instead of AR 10, so micro as well as macro maillers can do their calculations around the scales' left or right edges without possibly running into the scales' margins. And finally there are a springback correction scale added to the AR mark at the bottom, and scale alignment lines. The use of the springback correction scale is easy - if you know the typical springback ratio of your wire type, you can simply use the mark valid for your material choice, coiling and cutting method on that correction scale to assess real ring data - be it a resulting real AR with mandrel size and wire diameter given, or one of the other parameters with remaining ones known (for example most welding wire types I know have a ratio of around 10%, as these wires have all to be stiff enough to feed well through the welding machine, but must not be much stiffer as necessary at the same time, to not impair the useability of the welding device). And the scale alignment lines are to enable the user to align data on the upper imperial scale and the corresponding lower metric scale without the necessity to introduce a cursor to this shift stick when making unit conversions (in earlier iterations of my AR calculator version I proposed to use something right angled to make these conversions).

BTW: My question, whether it could be desireable to stretch the AR calculator's scales in one or another way (as I proposed in in an earlier post), wasn't answered at all. So I propose the maillers who want a more precise variant, simply to print on larger paper/cardboard. I will not more change much, if nobody uses it...

Edit: My provider's servers seem to be running stable now.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

-'me

Posted on Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:28 am

FYI: The AR Calculator is now available as Article - the file will be maintained as needed, on demand to add something useful, or so...

-ZiLi-

-'me

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:19 pm

Taken a look at the version posted. And I'm certianly not an authority on anything mathematic. But it looks like, at least once it's assembled and everything's in the right place so I can read it, it makes sense.

I'd definitely take out less than AR2. While I can see the possibilty that something like that would be used in very rare, very special, very psychotic cases, if you're messing around with an AR 1.3 ring, I'd hope you did it deliberately and you know why you did it.

Conversion tables are good, I say if you can fit it on there cleanly, go for it.

Maybe a simple wire diameter measure could be added? Ya know, for those of us suckers that run across bucketloads of scrap wire and can't afford a caliper like real human beings? ;>

Posted on Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:52 pm

@Charon: You need not be a maths geek to use that tool - as I explained already:
Just align the known, given ring data, and directly read the to be determined ones.
That's the whole operation for the user, who really doesn't need to know how it works. It's like driving a car - You don't need to know how to build a carburetor to drive a car where one is built in.

About the AR scale part below 2: It doesn't hurt that it exists, so it stays. Especially given the fact that someone could read somewhere some ring data, and 'enter' them at the calculator - to see in an eye's blink that they are illogical as being way too low for weaving at all - and so maybe a typo that needs a request for corrected data.

About conversion tables: Which one maille related scale that is not already embedded as one of the calculator's scales SHOULD be printed on the back side - or maybe embedded as an additional scale?

About a wire diameter measure: I would not know how to embed one in THIS tool - but I already provided a solution for THAT purpose, that I carry always around with me in my wallet - besides my AR calculator. Just look HERE.
-ZiLi-

-'me

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:23 am

Yep, that's exactly what I meant to get across. Math isn't my thing, and even looking at the calculator PDF, it makes sense to me.

I think when I posted that, I was thinking about a fractional to decimal chart in imperial. I honestly don't even recall anymore, been one of those days.

And on the subject of the diameter gague, yep, that's about the best easy answer I've seen, actually. I had in mind just a series of labelled and graduated line pairs, but that leaves far more room for error than your previous solution.

[edit] And, I forgot this part. Yeah, I think you're right about the low AR results, but if it's still possible to give the results a stretch to make it easier to read rather than cutting out everything below AR 2, I think it's worthwhile.

Submissions: 6

Posted on Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:01 am

Thanks for all your work on this Zili. Any contribution is welcome! When I reformat my computer I will download it.

Posted on Wed May 13, 2009 8:52 pm

I did a slight addition to the AR calculator - but don't plan to embed it into the article provided one, as the additional scala does somewhat impair the useability and clearness of the existing ones, and so is only of use for the people who really need that additional scala by having access to industry sized rods.

But if one is interested in a version, that has an additional industry rod diameter scale (52..1, A..Z), (s)he may download http://zili.de/maille/arcalculator-new6.gif, and resize/print it using the preferred program - a PDF variant will be (maybe) provided somewhen, if I find the time to convert it after having set up a new PC with new installation recently, and not yet found/retrieved all needed software keys...

-ZiLi-

P.S.: @carys - Don't wait for reformatting of your PC - just try it, use it, love it. NOW!

-'me

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:18 am

Hey Zili when we going to start seeing Metalic Smile etched ones for sale of your ruler... Come on man the public wants to know.

Posted on Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:02 pm

Des804 wrote:
Hey Zili when we going to start seeing Metalic Smile etched ones for sale of your ruler... Come on man the public wants to know.

First: Thanks for digging out this; my server logs show already a couple of fresh downloads Very Happy

Second: I do NOT plan on marketing this tool, in any form, as a couple of arguments speaks against. I cannot reach the author of the original basic version mine is derived from, so I cannot get his permission to do so - even if i wanted to market this tool. And the currently published version of mine is not only based on, but partially continues to consist of his original drawing's scales and inscriptions, just arranged 'a bit' different, and pepped up by 'pixel-pissing' here and there.

I owe a 100% self made (and so 'legacy-free') vector-drawn version of this, so I could even feed a laser cutter/engraving machine with, to make a plastic or aluminium one. But its scale grids are not yet as perfect stepped as I wish, and it would be simply too expensive and, as I think, impractical to have such a version around. This tool IS designed to be an inexpensive (but precise, nevertheless) DIY possibility for EVERY mailler who has a computer with printer available, and a little bit skill when using scissors and/or ruler+knife. I guess, maillers reading and writing here on M.A.I.L. most often fulfill these requirements - in worst case they need to go to a copy shop to get their print. Or think about the alternative of online photo print services - with a bit effort and an image edit program you can get it as sturdy photo cardboard print, in any wished size. I used my cheap 'ink-pisser' at home, and silk-matte photo cardboard for making my personal ones.

And last but not least, this tool is designed to be a mobile device, to be carried around in the wallet, having the second and/or third one around at the work bench(es), and so - everywhere on hand if needed, also outside of reach of an electronic calculator or PC for doing maths. I use mine on a regular basis; especially if I want to determine a needed mandrel for a wished AR and given wire, as it allows a quick and usually 'on-the-spot' preestimation, if the material's and cutting method's typical springback correction is known or can be estimated to some degree.

Nothing is easier to use (no math skills necessary, as these are already built-in) - Just align the known, given ring data, and directly read the to be determined ones - and it's really a pity, how few maillers ever found out, as they shied the little bit effort to make one. Hopefully some new maillers that maybe joined MAIL during the last one and a half year and didn't know about it yet, will acknowledge its value...

-ZiLi-

-'me

Posted on Mon May 30, 2011 4:02 pm

Update:

A new version is available; I added a mandrel data table on the free backside - roughly based on Kodiak's mandrel list, but self made and expanded. And I added standard metric welding wire extra markers, somewhat redundant, but making life easier for users of welding wire, imho. The new version is only provided as colored variant, but this one prints really good even on a b/w printer set to 600dpi; colored lines and letters appear as dotted resp. dithered ones, then.

http://zili.de/maille/arcalculator-new65c.pdf

For people who like to edit something here or there, replace 'pdf' in the url by 'gif', and download the image. Have fun.

-ZiLi-

-'me

Posted on Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:15 pm

Oh I nearly forgot, that there's a further update available on my site - but only a slight one to have more of the 'frequently used metric diameter' addon markers above the gauge scales. And btw: I do not more produce different b/w and color versions, as the colors are chosen in a manner, that print well on a b/w printer as rastered gray.

http://zili.de/maille/arcalculator-new66.pdf

It's alternatively also available as self-editable .GIF file, by modifying the URL.
Have fun Smile

-ZiLi-

-'me

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2