Selling maille on the internet
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Selling maille on the internet
Posted on Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:13 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hello,

I've been making maille for a couple of years now, selling it to friends, friends of friends, friends of friends of friends, and I'm now wondering about venturing onto the net.

So far I've looked at Ebay, Etsy and the idea of creating my own site; but the latter seems a bit duanting, Ebay expensive, and the prices other chainmaillers sell their goods for on Etsy often seem very cheap: too cheap for quality hand-crafted goods.

Can anyone suggets any other avenues to explore? Or perhaps give me their thoughts/ experiences with Etsy, Ebay, or their own sites?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Submissions: 17

Posted on Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:20 pm

hi there

depends on what you make... if its armour then unfortunately you shouldnt be too keen on sites like ebay as there are many slave labour based shops that make chainmail armour and it is sold on there.
shame aye

unless of course you can persuade the customers its worth buying from you for that little bit extra for the quality of your work

Posted on Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:07 pm

what is Etsy? seen it mentioned lots on here, any link's i've clicked seem to be a photo album type website

"Hathor is the godess of fornication, intoxication and music..."
"So..... Sex, Drugs, and Rock 'n' Roll?"

Submissions: 50

Posted on Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:55 pm

Etsy is a website for selling handcrafted items, basically. They allow a few other things like supplies and vintage items, but it is primarily handcrafted items of one sort or another. Each seller has their own personal shop. There are minimal fees. It is NOT an auction site, prices are determined by the seller and are fixed unless the seller changes them.

You can browse listings by all sorts of methods. Just start clicking and see what you find Smile

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Posted on Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:56 pm

Darksidedsam - the only things I make to sell are jewellery. Like you say, some of the armour out there seems impossibly cheap, so I make that, and inlays, purely for fun.
Have you sold on Etsy yourself?

Submissions: 17

Posted on Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:23 pm

I have an Etsy shop, and have been posting stuff for about six months, but have yet to sell anything, and that's putting bracelets up for $15 US. I let my personal site lapse a while back, as I'd had it for a year and hadn't gotten so much as an e-mail off it. I've never sold anything online. All my sales have been in person. I find that doing a craft show or science fiction convention, and mailling in the booth while my wife talks with customers, generates the best sales. People can actually see the process of mailling. I also customize stuff on the fly and build custom orders on-site. I'd say about half of what I sell is either a custom order or a pre-made piece customized in some way.

I'd also avoid the costume rental places, as they generally stock either textile maille (knitting that's spraypainted), or the cheap slave-labor stuff, and won't be interested in higher-quality maille, especially at the prices you'd have to charge.

Maille code: V1.0 T7.2 R5.1 Fe4.1 MAl.a Wc$ Cabe$ G1.5/0.6 I9.5/1.4 Pj Dacdjs S84
andrew.ragland@gmail.com

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1