Possible article -- twisting wire
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 45

Possible article -- twisting wire
Posted on Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:10 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

This post should technically go under the 'articles wanted', but I wanted this one to stand out. I'll have to clean out the other thread later.

The thought came to me randomly, so I thought I'd 'jot' it down. If anybody has some good techniques for twisting two (or more) pieces of wire together to form a consistent twist, that information would make a great article. There are some mailling weaves that utilize such information, and I'm sure the information could come in handy.

Yes, such information, like all the stuff in articles, could go into a post. Please remember that an article is most helpful when it is very descriptive, and pictures can help immensely as well.

Thanks! Very Happy

Submissions: 0

Wire twisting idea
Posted on Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:25 am

When you want talk about twisting wires do you mean 2 of different sizes -- if not I saw an article somwhere where you can use a hand drill (the kind with a wheel that looks like an egg beater) and a vice. i don't know how well it would work for 2 wires but I can giv it a try.
pretty much what you would do is put two wire ends in the vice and the other two in the hand drill, give the handle a few turns and you have a twisted wire. it might get difficult keeping the twist uniform when using two wires though.

Posted on Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:09 am

Yes, I was referring to using two different wires. They can be the same size, even the same material, but two separate strands twisting in one.

I've heard of people using hand-drills before, but my limited attempts at doing it always yields a tight twist near the grip-points and a loose twist in the middle. I think there are techniques to get a uniform twist along the length of the twisted wire, and that's what I was kinda looking for...

Submissions: 62

Posted on Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:35 am

I have the ablility to post the way i use..
handrill used. its reall nice actually and if very uniform..

ill look into it over my x-mas break (along wiuth setting up my work bench and drill press set up..)

<a href="http://www.greatbodyofwater.blogspot.com">Great Body Of Water Music Blog</a> run by me and my friend.

Submissions: 28

Posted on Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:17 pm

there is a display in my welding class shop that shows how to make a belt buckle. and they used two filler rods, twisted together to make the trim of the buckle. i can ask on monday how they did. i want to say it was with a hand drill but i'm not certain.

when you are using the hand drill, are you keeping the wire together? or do you seperate them and just let them join at the point of the twist? the second way might yeild a better result.

Arthur: Let's go somewhere.
Trillian: Where'd you have in mind?
Ford: I know this great restaurant at the end of the universe

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Posted on Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:33 am

well i did it, i took pictures of how i do it

now ihave to type it up in MSword.. copy & paste and then fit in my pics, then the HTML

hope its done by sunday

<a href="http://www.greatbodyofwater.blogspot.com">Great Body Of Water Music Blog</a> run by me and my friend.

Posted on Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:07 am

never mind i submitted it already!

take a lookie drax!

Submissions: 21

Posted on Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:15 pm

Drax: The problem that you're describing is from a lack of tension on the wire. Tension needs to be held on the wire at all times, and quite a bit of it. Clamping in a bench vise while you pull on the other end and spin the hand drill works very well.

Posted on Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:41 am

thanks hockeywierdo! sorry that took so long to get through, I had company here all weekend and last night, too.

In any case, that's really cool, good to know that a nice setup like that with tension will do the job. Certainly when I was doing it, I was just half-arsing it all by hand, so that would probably explain it Smile Can't wait to make some real twisted wire now... whee!

Very Happy

Posted on Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:11 am

i was much obliged to help drax!

have fun go crazy with it!

Submissions: 21

Posted on Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:49 pm

Alex, in your article you say to twist the wire until it snaps.

I've never actually been able to get any twisted wire to snap. It just bunches up. I guess you're using quite weak wire! Surprised

Posted on Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:28 am

well i did note in the article that its 26 ga wire.. twisted to 20 ga.

and its copper so its very weak. the place where i got the idea from was knot tie-ing and viking knit book so its for weak precious metals and copper and weak wire (and thin)

want me to put some chian in it with your pics? i'd be glad too!

Submissions: 2

Posted on Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:34 pm

ok i know 1 outher way of twisting wire but cant get any pics till i get my digi cam fixed so im not so sure how much help that would be

if i am the chief of sinners am i not also the chief of sufferes

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1